Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Arcade cabinets, control panels, joysticks, harnesses...
Topics are pruned after 90 days of inactivity.

Are you interested in the automated 15/25khz switch?

I'm very interested, please hit me up when you are done!
68%
I can imagine that this is for me, but let's wait if your CRT starts burning.
17%
Sorry, nice idea but **** emulation.
15%

Total votes: 41
Lazyace
eBay: Lazyace1980
Initials: BRK

Re: Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Post by Lazyace »

wigsplitta wrote: June 8th, 2020, 12:52 pm edit:
What he said :pointup: 8-)
Looking in a Windy 1 and NAC, it is just a switch/button that is connected directly to the chassis.
I'll double check my E2, but i'm pretty sure the switch is replaced by a cable loopback, which is how it 'auto' degausses
I keep meaning to check too, but I'm pretty certain it's a cable loopback as well.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...
eBay: iiendproduktii
Initials: Oli

Re: Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Post by Endprodukt »

Thanks guys. I already made a relay based circuit that will allow you to have an automatic degauss when you boot up the machine and keeps the manual button in working order.

A dipswitch will allow you to disable the automatic mode completely.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

I would like to know, how you guys would prefer to interface with the board. We need 12V, 5V, Ground and Sync.

1. Use a presoldered/produced JAMMA fingerboard

2. Deliver with harness, so people can hook it up to their existing Jamma harness (4 cables, very simple soldering, but equiptment is required)

3. make the whole board a Jamma plug. This would be the most labor intensive method. PCB production will be a tad more expensive.

Let me know what you guys think!

Olli
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

It would be easier to choose (IMHO) if we could know more.

1) What would the harness look like

2) With the "JAMMA plug" or fingerboard unplugged, does the chassis still work as usual, but not be able to switch at will
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

The harness is basically the same as with the fingerboard, only the ends will be prepared to be soldered to the Jamma connector.

If you would use the monitor without the Jamma connections we need, the Monitor would simply not turn on because we interrupt the 100VAC to the monitor to be able to shut it on and off.. The modification would need to be undone.

I would consider this a semi permanent solution that can be removed without any traces.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

I could indeed install a switch for deactivating the power on/off relay for the crt. That would give full flexibility.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Hi.

We decided not to integrate the automatic degauss. After some talk with Winnie, who is a CRT tech for 40 years, we came to the conclusion that we put totally unnecessary stress to the degauss circuit. Degaussing needs to be done so rarely that we find pressing the button in the cabinet is good enough.

We also started working on a software that will let you modify many settings in the firmware, for example bootup delay as safety, test mode to directly give us numbers to fix problems, and basically changing any timing in the process of switching the resolution. All in a neat and easy to use Windows tool.

We also integrated a safe mode, that will always safe the last selected mode (automatic, 15khz or 25khz forced).

Next thing has a little circuit to read the actual PC state, allowing us to know if you rebooted the machine. We will also block out dangerous frequencies (basically 31khz during bootup or when playing around with crt emu driver).

Most of the features are more interesting for the users of emulators, but that doesn't mean they are absolutely useless for the users of real hardware, especially the test mode.
8bitforlife
eBay: Emulat0r
Initials: RB.

Post by 8bitforlife »

im interested if you can get this to work with jamma also. But i would also be interested in for emulation too. Put me on list
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

8bitforlife wrote: June 13th, 2020, 11:48 am im interested if you can get this to work with jamma also. But i would also be interested in for emulation too. Put me on list
This will most definitely work with Jamma! We will test it with someone from the forum who has all the original hardware to check and help us fine-tune.
8bitforlife

Post by 8bitforlife »

Endprodukt wrote: June 10th, 2020, 9:01 pm I would like to know, how you guys would prefer to interface with the board. We need 12V, 5V, Ground and Sync.

1. Use a presoldered/produced JAMMA fingerboard

2. Deliver with harness, so people can hook it up to their existing Jamma harness (4 cables, very simple soldering, but equiptment is required)

3. make the whole board a Jamma plug. This would be the most labor intensive method. PCB production will be a tad more expensive.

Let me know what you guys think!

Olli
on the jamma board if you could include voltmeter for 5 and 12 volt. Only because there only so much space in the cab and if i add this to the chain with what i have there wouldnt be enough room. I could swap out what i have and use yours with the chassis.
8bitforlife

Post by 8bitforlife »

Also I am using a switching power supply which could support the mod by running the wires to it no solder required. I also have a taito power supply that works.

One suggestion. Maybe make a connector that goes to switching power supply or if someone has a taito power supply maybe a connect that goes in between the psu and connector for power of cab would be easiest. You wouldnt need a jamma finger board at all.

Taito Egret2 btw Just ideas im happy with what ever you want to do.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

I came to the conclusion that a Jamma adapter indeed could be problematic. I think that asking to wire 4 cables to the Jamma plug is not too much. In the end this is an advanced modification.

There are so many different plugs it would be impossible to cover that. You could of course get the parts and attach it to the loom yourself.

We also still need to think it a non invasive way to interrupt the 100vAc to the monitor.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Wiring 4 cables yourself would be best, that way everybody can wire it to their own liking. Be it a jamma passthrough adapter, straight, to the PSU or whatever.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Sp33dFr34k wrote: June 15th, 2020, 11:17 am Wiring 4 cables yourself would be best, that way everybody can wire it to their own liking. Be it a jamma passthrough adapter, straight, to the PSU or whatever.
Yeah that's what I think too. It's really basic and self explanatory. You need 5v. 12v. Ground. Sync. All easily available on the Jamma plug.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Endprodukt wrote: June 15th, 2020, 7:21 am We also still need to think it a non invasive way to interrupt the 100vAc to the monitor.
The easiest way for the end user would probably to have an inline 15 pin AMP UP pass though. Basically a 15 pin female and a 15 pin male connector with RGBS/GND and demag wires connected straight through. You can then run the 100v from one of the 15 pin AMP UPs to your board and then back to the other 15 pin AMP UP.
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

FrancoB wrote: June 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Endprodukt wrote: June 15th, 2020, 7:21 am We also still need to think it a non invasive way to interrupt the 100vAc to the monitor.
The easiest way for the end user would probably to have an inline 15 pin AMP UP pass though. Basically a 15 pin female and a 15 pin male connector with RGBS/GND and demag wires connected straight through. You can then run the 100v from one of the 15 pin AMP UPs to your board and then back to the other 15 pin AMP UP.
I agree, I have my VGA connector wired up this way currently as well.. :awe:
SGO316
eBay: sergiogerman
Initials: SGO

Post by SGO316 »

interested !!
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

So @Endprodukt, how's the endproduct coming along? ;)
zombiz
eBay: zombie_steph

Post by zombiz »

And so ? ;)
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.