Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Arcade cabinets, control panels, joysticks, harnesses...
Topics are pruned after 90 days of inactivity.

Are you interested in the automated 15/25khz switch?

I'm very interested, please hit me up when you are done!
68%
I can imagine that this is for me, but let's wait if your CRT starts burning.
17%
Sorry, nice idea but **** emulation.
15%

Total votes: 41
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Re: Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 - interest check

Post by FrancoB »

parodius wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 3:14 pm I didn’t know they were so rare, I bought one last year from a guy in France who sells recapped MS9 chassis, and I’m using it in my Egret 2. Will still be interested by your solution though.
I'm not so sure either now after googling a bit earlier, it looks like [brad808 has three auto switching chassis]. I've not seen many myself but it's not really something you notice unless you're looking for it.
Endprodukt wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 11:33 am
Would still like to see schematics.
I'll ping @opt2not and see if he can help out with a MS9 revision number to search for.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...
eBay: iiendproduktii
Initials: Oli

Post by Endprodukt »

FrancoB wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 5:54 pm
parodius wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 3:14 pm I didn’t know they were so rare, I bought one last year from a guy in France who sells recapped MS9 chassis, and I’m using it in my Egret 2. Will still be interested by your solution though.
I'm not so sure either now after googling a bit earlier, it looks like [brad808 has three auto switching chassis]. I've not seen many myself but it's not really something you notice unless you're looking for it.
I'll ping @opt2not and see if he can help out with a MS9 revision number to search for.
Thanks mate! I'm looking forward to it.

We are testing more safety precautions to make this even easier on your chassis. Can't wait to show you guys a prototype!
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Afaik it's only the MS9-29T (Taito) which are auto-switching, they also have auto-degauss. The MS9-29A (Astro) and MS9-29SU (Sega Universal) don't have these features sadly. I do think the T version is pretty rare, all I ever see are the A's and SU's.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

We could actually add auto degaussing. Any interest in that?
Lazyace
eBay: Lazyace1980
Initials: BRK

Post by Lazyace »

Endprodukt wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:33 am We could actually add auto degaussing. Any interest in that?
Egret 2s auto degauss on startup, so any idea how it would interact with that?
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Lazyace wrote: June 4th, 2020, 11:42 am
Endprodukt wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:33 am We could actually add auto degaussing. Any interest in that?
Egret 2s auto degauss on startup, so any idea how it would interact with that?
You would not hook it up then. But I was talking to our CRT Tech and he doesn't get what this would be usefull for. The only reason to degauss is when you turn the screen of move the cab.
Integrating this into the pcb is not so difficult but if it's super unnecessary (and we have the button in the cabinet), then leaving it out will reduce cost.
mastercello
eBay: mastercello
Initials: BUS

Post by mastercello »

Sp33dFr34k wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:09 pm Afaik it's only the MS9-29T (Taito) which are auto-switching, they also have auto-degauss.
Does this mean most of the E2 have this chassis installed? :awe:
Lazyace

Post by Lazyace »

mastercello wrote: June 4th, 2020, 1:51 pm
Sp33dFr34k wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:09 pm Afaik it's only the MS9-29T (Taito) which are auto-switching, they also have auto-degauss.
Does this mean most of the E2 have this chassis installed? :awe:
My two E2s I restored recently both have 29T chassis' yeah....oh damn...are they auto switching!?
Lazyace

Post by Lazyace »

Sp33dFr34k wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:09 pm
Afaik it's only the MS9-29T (Taito) which are auto-switching, they also have auto-degauss. The MS9-29A (Astro) and MS9-29SU (Sega Universal) don't have these features sadly. I do think the T version is pretty rare, all I ever see are the A's and SU's.
Have just read this properly. Have not tried but that means mine should auto switch anyhow as both my recently resoted machines have these chassis! I haven't edited the resolution for M2 in .ini of the emulator yet as I originally had that PC running on an Astro. Will try this afternoon...excited 😁

Edit: according to Grant it's the 29A which auto switches, not the T. If anyone knows, he would.

Edit 2: just taken a look, my Ts have jumpers for 24, not the black box thingy that is on the autoswitch model.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Lazyace wrote: June 4th, 2020, 3:04 pm
Sp33dFr34k wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:09 pm

Have just read this properly. Have not tried but that means mine should auto switch anyhow as both my recently resoted machines have these chassis! I haven't edited the resolution for M2 in .ini of the emulator yet as I originally had that PC running on an Astro. Will try this afternoon...excited 😁

Edit: according to Grant it's the 29A which auto switches, not the T. If anyone knows, he would.

Edit 2: just taken a look, my Ts have jumpers for 24, not the black box thingy that is on the autoswitch model.
The black box thing is the switching relay. It has a coil inside that works on a specific voltage. If this voltage is applied, a mechanism inside the relay will be switched with the help of the coil that will become magnetic.

Can anyone confirm that the switch for the degauss is directly connected to the chassis or is there additional parts for the degauss circuit?
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

FrancoB wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 5:54 pm I'll ping @opt2not and see if he can help out with a MS9 revision number to search for.
Unfortunately I sold that NAC a little while ago, with regrets, and kept it’s twin without the auto-switching chassis.
I believe the T in MS9-29T stands for Tecmo. The cabinet was a Tecmo version New Astro City, which hosted a MS9-29T that auto-switched 15/24kHz, and a subtly different marquee and CP featuring the Tecmo name instead of Sega :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21361
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Re: Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Post by zak »

I always thought the "T" stood for Taito, as it was in all the E2 cabs. It's possible someone swapped the chassis in that Tecmo NAC.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Re: Automatic 15/25khz switching for Nanao MS8/MS9 for everyone - interest check

Post by radiantsvgun »

zak wrote: June 5th, 2020, 7:39 pm I always thought the "T" stood for Taito, as it was in all the E2 cabs. It's possible someone swapped the chassis in that Tecmo NAC.
Same- all my E2s have come with the "T" chassis.

Will this auto switcher work for regular jamma games too? Gradius IV and the model stuff?
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

radiantsvgun wrote: June 5th, 2020, 11:03 pm
zak wrote: June 5th, 2020, 7:39 pm I always thought the "T" stood for Taito, as it was in all the E2 cabs. It's possible someone swapped the chassis in that Tecmo NAC.

Will this auto switcher work for regular jamma games too? Gradius IV and the model stuff?
Yes, we are making it completely software independent. It might happen that some games have weird readings, so we implement a test mode for real hardware to fix any problems that are occurring.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Endprodukt wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:14 am
radiantsvgun wrote: June 5th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Yes, we are making it completely software independent. It might happen that some games have weird readings, so we implement a test mode for real hardware to fix any problems that are occurring.
This pulled me across the line, interested here as well :)
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Can anyone confirm that the switch in the power supply for degauss is directly connected to the chassis?
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

@Endprodukt Is it this that you're referring to?
IMG_0795.jpg
Let me know if you'd like any other pics/info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Endprodukt
Please Continue...

Post by Endprodukt »

Thank you for the pic, what I meant is that there is a button for degauss on the cabinets PSU. I was wondering if this button is directly connected to the chassis or if it has its own circuit in the power supply.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

It's connected directly to the chassis via the 15 pin AMP UP. Needs to be a momentary switch.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

edit:
What he said :pointup: 8-)
Looking in a Windy 1 and NAC, it is just a switch/button that is connected directly to the chassis.
I'll double check my E2, but i'm pretty sure the switch is replaced by a cable loopback, which is how it 'auto' degausses