Irem Madonna. Help

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Alex
eBay: jandrogo

Irem Madonna. Help

Post by Alex »

Today it's a very nice and sad day...

After some months trying to get a tiny candy cab in Spain finally I have gotten an Irem Madonna delivered this afternoon at home thanks to rklok. Cabinet it's cosmetically in very good condition, clean and tidy (End of nice day)

After lunch I have unpacked the cabinet to test it, I plugged in the volt transformer and the PCB.. just when I switched on the cabinet I have seen a Spark in the inside, I thought It was some static charge or any normal thing as strikers 1945 was working and there was sound.. some seconds after I have realized there was no image in the monitor. I have unplugged the cabinet and checked everything, I switched on the cabinet again and the same, although after 10-20 seconds the power board has made an spark and has died..(no led light, no PCB sounds) :wtf: Now the only think it works when I switch on the cabinet is the noisy fan.

I think that problem has been the stepdown transformer, but it worked correct with my Japanese X360 and wifes Japanese hairdryer... and when I plug the cabinet with it the fan still works...

I am scared I have fried the power board and probably the monitor...

Help please
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Irem Madonna. Help

Post by grantspain »

you won't resolve this without using a multimeter
also i would bet that your stepdown has nowhere near the correct rating to run a cab(minimum 150watt)
Alex

Post by Alex »

So, I need a new stepdown, a new power board and a multimeter to realize the monitor is probably fried... Grant, what worry me more it's the monitor condition, what are the chances that monitor is OK? I think repairing it or finding a replacement here in Spain it's going to cost me a kidney and surgery...
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Sad news m8, but hopefully it wont be too bad - one thing for sure i that there are people such as Grant who will be able to give you the best help going...
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Alex, don't worry mate. Just buy a multimeter off ebay (20 euro) and follow grants insructions. If the power supply is screwed it's an easy fix for 30 euro. If it's the chassis, we'll find you one *somewhere* in europe. Don't worry. :)

You are still lucky - you have a very rare machine!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

take a photo and mark where you saw the sparks,also post loads of photos of the inside of the cab
do not worry we can fix it
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thank you very much everybody for cheering me up ;)

As soon as possible I'll post a load of pictures from the cabinet, also I'll look for a new stepdown and a power supply...

Let's cross fingers
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Don't turn anything on again until it's been looked over, eh? ;)
Alex

Post by Alex »

I have only taken pics from the power supply and surroundings, sorry for not taking pics from the monitor as it's not very accessible at all. I am looking to buy a new replacement for the power supply (suggestions where and which?) and a new stepdown transformer :x

Grant, you should live closer Barcelona... I should take the cabinet in a heartbeat

yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Sorry if this is obvious but the bottom connector on the PSU looks like it's not connected.

neokoen

Post by neokoen »

- unless you did not unplug the PSU, both AC input and DC ouput connectors are indeed loose
- the monitor's neck card seems to be not entirely leveled, just a question of gently pushing it back in
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yep just the ac input plug on the psu is not pushed in correctly-but you do need a a min 150watt stepdown

estoy mas que contento a visita usted en barcelona-pero pagar para mi ticket :P
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

Well it seems like an easy fix, but be careful with the monitor chassis! Irem Madonna uses a 25 inch monitor, not easy to find anymore!
хорошо!
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

Aren't there many arcades in the Spanish tourist places? Maybe you could score a wooden junk cab with a good 25 inch monitor?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Akuma wrote:Aren't there many arcades in the Spanish tourist places? Maybe you could score a wooden junk cab with a good 25 inch monitor?
man you got no chance,crt monitors in spain are as rare as hell
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

grantspain wrote:
Akuma wrote:Aren't there many arcades in the Spanish tourist places? Maybe you could score a wooden junk cab with a good 25 inch monitor?
It's not just spain, it's that it's 25 inches rather than 29, a rather rare size even in Japan.
хорошо!
Alex

Post by Alex »

yosai wrote:Sorry if this is obvious but the bottom connector on the PSU looks like it's not connected.
neokoen wrote:- unless you did not unplug the PSU, both AC input and DC ouput connectors are indeed loose
grantspain wrote:yep just the ac input plug on the psu is not pushed in correctly
Thanks for help mates, I know that PSU connectors are not pushed right. I took them off to make some pictures from the inside of PSU.
grantspain wrote: you do need a a min 150watt stepdown
Yes, first thing to do together with getting a new PSU. Grant, do you know where to buy them here in Spain? Or any recommended seller in the UK?
grantspain wrote: estoy mas que contento a visita usted en barcelona-pero pagar para mi ticket :P

:D maybe the easiest alternative although I don't discard putting the cab in the car and going to visit you...
zorahk wrote:
grantspain wrote:
It's not just spain, it's that it's 25 inches rather than 29, a rather rare size even in Japan.
It's difficult but not impossible to get a Crt monitor here in Spain, many of them are 15Khz Hantarex monitors with severe burn marks.. so my first option If I am able to make it work it's the monitor in the Madonna... has Toshiba tube with nice scanlines and 15/25Khz

Thanks mates for helping, I'll update as soon as I get the stepdown and PSU or got any new
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

first get the stepdown,you can find them on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300W-Step-Down-Vo ... 5ad24a0025"

then make sure you have a multimeter to read voltages and check fuses

when you turn on the cab look at the neck to see if it glows orange

i seriously doubt the psu is damaged unless you sent it 230vac
Alex

Post by Alex »

Finally I have received the stepdown, the new PSU and the multimeter.

I have changed the PSU and tested with a PCB everything (sound, buttons, joys, coinmech) works right minus the monitor. I don't see any orange light or glow coming from neck, it seems really dead. I have tested with the multimeter that the 110V arrives to the monitor but I don't know what to test now...

On friday I will take the monitor off the cabinet to see it in detail.

What's next step?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

first check the fuse/fuses on the monitor-if blown change with same value-if blow again then check diodes in the primary psu circuit
so in other words you put 230v into this machine