Adding a headphone socket

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
sylphia

Re: Adding a headphone socket

Post by sylphia »

As FcoBenitez, I would also be interested in installing an headphone socket in my cab: one which cuts off sound to the speakers when the jack is plugged in. If anyone has a working solution, that would be much appreciated.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

Yeah I've been pondering the very same for my cabs for a while.
Auto-switched headphone socket, integrated amp, and connectors for inputs and speaker outputs.

I had been working on some bits and bobs already, but then also fancied adding some extra stuff for allowing button crediting for retro events for instance in a non-invasive way to the normal coin door mechanisms that I use at home (yep I still like to coin up).

So it's been on the back burner for a little while.
It would be interesting to know what kinds of connectors people would like on a sub board for power, ground, and audio ins/outs, as I could probably get multiple PCBs made up:
- solder pads
- spade connector pins
- bare pins like 'kick harness' connectors
- etc..
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Screw terminals, like on a JPAC.

Id been thinking a way of making things more straightforward is not to switch on socket, but on volume knob. Turn the knob to switch headphones on and cab speaker off, and control volume.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

cools wrote:Screw terminals, like on a JPAC.

Id been thinking a way of making things more straightforward is not to switch on socket, but on volume knob. Turn the knob to switch headphones on and cab speaker off, and control volume.
Fair enough yeah. Screw terminals = slightly larger PCB, but I see your point about being more straightforward for those who are not keen on inhaling vapourised mercury on a weekly basis like some of us! :awe:

I'll have a look at volume pots yeah, I know the switch ones you mean. Thinking about it, a second amp may not even be needed - if the pcb is set to a reasonable volume, then actually the headphone 'circuit' just needs to lower the volume, not amp it up further. Certainly most PCBs I have are waaay too loud for my cab speakers if I go anywhere near half way on the dial / sound section pot. But are all cabs / candies the same? (probably not?)
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

E2/E3 have their own volume pot as well as the PCB one.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Yeah it would seem crazy to have basically 3 different volume adjustments in an egret wouldn't it :oops:
But for my minis, which have sod all - just wires to a speaker from the jamma harness, it's pretty damned essential.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

For speaker volume I'm sure just nicking whatever is used in an Egret is fine, don't think it directly translates to headphone use though.
sylphia

Post by sylphia »

Installing the headphone socket and the volume control in an unused panel button would be very convenient.
Here's a picture of a possible mod (picture obtained from another post on this board ?)

Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Yes I think these were Franco's original button spacers with headphone sockets in weren't they?
That arrangement is fine for player 1, but isn't player 2 going to have some issues resting their hand on the CP there when they play? :awe: