DDP DOJ Black Label Resurrection

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
capcomguru
Please Continue...

DDP DOJ Black Label Resurrection

Post by capcomguru »

Let me proceed this by saying I don't have a DOJ Black Label pcb... yet. I'm just curious about the subject.

I've read about this here and there that the DOJ Black Labels suicide. I'm assuming its like the CPS2/3 suicide? What triggers the suicide aside from a dead battery. Can this be prevented with a battery swap before it dies? Whats the battery swap procedure like? Do you need a helper battery like CPS3, or can you swap it with no power like CPS2?

Whats involved with the resurrection process? Both times I've seen it mentioned, there are talks of installing a new battery to resurrect it. Is a new rom burned? Or do you have to simply swap the dead battery for a new one and boot the PCB a certain way? Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks!
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: DDP DOJ Black Label Resurrection

Post by yosai »

Another couple of questions for those in the know. The suicide battery is in place to stop people upgrading their regular DOJ boards to BL boards so...

Has any upgrade been successful?

If the DOJ BL has suicided can the ROM be replaced with a standard DOJ ROM to make it a regular DOJ board?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

yep d.o.j can be turned to black label.. rtw could do it now but i doubt he will ever release the code cos then his own black label pcb would be devalued..
the hong kong companies used to sell black label boots but not any moar !
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Very interesting reads over at Shmups! Thanks for the links guys!

The collector in me understands why the revival NVRAM eprom will (most likely) never be released.

The cheapskate in me wishes it were released so I can get a regular DDP DOJ pcb and upgrade it myself :mrgreen:
rtw

Post by rtw »

yep d.o.j can be turned to black label.. rtw could do it now but i doubt he will ever release the code cos then his own black label pcb would be devalued..
I'm not concerned about the value of my PCB. I don't want to support bootleggers though who would convert every white label to black label and sell it for a tidy profit.

Another issue is that we might lose a revision of the DOJ white label code because it has been upgraded to black
the hong kong companies used to sell black label boots but not any moar !
This is incorrect, there has never been a black label bootleg sold. I do remember a Hong Kong company selling it for 400USD because they were not aware of the diffence between black and white label :D

rtw
Last edited by rtw on January 16th, 2011, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i agree with you deffo on not releasing the patch because it will cause people to try shady tactics..
i was sure i seen a black label boot on cosmicos list years ago but i must be mistaken.
rtw

Post by rtw »

charlie chong wrote:i was sure i seen a black label boot on cosmicos list years ago but i must be mistaken.
I have been on cosmicco's list for years, I have not seen any BL bootlegs for sale. All the PCB's that people thought were bootlegs turned out to be the real deal in the end.

rtw
BigBattle
Please Continue...

Post by BigBattle »

Oh man...very good read. I need to get 3 of these to play around with. I would have never thought about it suiciding like CPS2/3. Thanks for the info. I wanna see if a battery holder will work.