AW SD

Post by erzane »

for every people who want to buy an aw sd, I woul like to post this subject :

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8670 ... wm3ci7.jpg"
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5748 ... wf3yw1.jpg"

is it a perfect cab or not ?
POSITIVE & NEGATIVE points will be appreciated :

POSITIVE POINTS :

-very good for 31 k games, horizontal or vertical games fits well (just a little geometric distortion but it s not a big default)
-good technical setting ( you can put it any modern game systems) alimentation support naomi1,2, typex1,2, namco 246, 256, 357, lindbergh
-you can take off the panel support (it's a same design like the e2 & e3)
-doors are light
-true flat monitor
-very good colours
-not so aged monitor
-easy access to the chassis and the CRT pcb with monitor on vertical position
-the cab looks nice, pretty (possibility to customize it in e3 style) http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 974ww2.jpg"
-big place for all systems (I modified the inside to) http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 174sb4.jpg"

NEGATIVE POINTS :

-not easy to access to the chassis and CRT with monitor on horizontal position (you must obligatory set from the back of the cab)

-for every one who want to play some games like 3rd strike or any CPSIII, ketsui, espgaluda or else without synchro disfunctions you must disconnect D1 & D2 harness under the principal door : http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/11/29/64/44/dscn1610.jpg"

- you can find this cab with 1P panel only, if you want to put a 2P it will be only a fake (some original 2P panel exists but nobody can have it because there is only a few piece in the world (those 2P panels were fited on cabs during the 2003 arcade show for the newcomer MS6 game, I think only japanese guy have some) http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amsg43tv0.jpg"

-so bad for 15k games (you will have very **** screen with a 3rd gen cave games, but you can have better one with other games, for ex: detana twin bee, acrobat
mission, dodonpachi, they looks good, but dont play guwange, raiden fighters series (and other seibu games) or a rayforce..I haven't tested more...
not so good geometry, too much settings to do after changing games and too much scanlines on screen (I have find this comparaison on KC before it crash)
aw screen :
e2 screen :

CONCLUSION :

it's a cab for 31k games only, because his monitor dont support well the 15k games, and certainely not for shootings
you must make to much settings on the chassis for play any type of shootings one after one, so it's not an ''universal cab'' like the sega cabs an egret2 or any other uni cabs.For example, you cannot put a seibu game and after put a cave game without set the pots on the chassis before
(you must set, trapezes, rotation, geometry, etc...)
for sure the chassis is easy to access, but any time, that's an inconvennient
thoses monitors have a little geometric problem to
and you must wait aprox 1 hour for having a perfect stable screen, you must wait that the monitor comes hot, (1 hour is a long time compared to a toshiba monitor)
The chassis is a weiya M3129D-7 (some models are M3129D-6) but the best chassis will be the C3129A but I dont find any on the market, perhaps wei-ya sell some, for sure not for particulary..

here are some detailed explications for set all pots on his chassis :
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9943 ... cf1iq6.jpg"

the differents pots detailled on a plan with numbers :
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5812 ... qh0rk4.jpg"

the CRT pcb : (you will find on it 2x types of settings for the 3 colours)
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7665 ... lw8my4.jpg"

and here is the alimentation detailled plan (3V, 5V, 12V)
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4097 ... vb9ml4.jpg"
Last edited by erzane on September 19th, 2008, 11:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Arcade's nice when done well
erzane
Not Made In Japan
eBay: Gab79

Re: AW SD

Post by erzane »

kernow wrote:only the wei-ya PSU and chassis lets it down but the PSU can be changed very easily if you don't need JVS support

did you ever get those pots?
my english is not the best and I dont understand you well
what is PSU ?
whit which one did you replaced it?
you speak about JVS support, why?
what does ''did you ever get those pots'' mean?
and did you ever changed your chassis to a C3129A ? good result for 15k games? no scanlines? no much settings to do after putting another game ?

thanks for your comprehention dudy ;-)
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

AWSD are extremely good value, they look fantastic, the JVS support is great for Naomi and the 31khz picture is superb if you get one with good geometry.

However, the Wei-ya parts aren't the most reliable and if you want to use a lot of 15khz I would suggest you pass, unless you have played on an AWSD before and were happy with the picture. The low-res performance is very much down to personal taste. Some people hate it, some people don't see what the fuss is about.
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

yes kernov I received them , thanks, but no fit well the metal stuff for the volume is to long
but no prob

personaly I need jvs because I use only 31k games in my 2x cabs
I think cps2 is bad on thoses monitors and mvs have no good geometry (but all 15k games have to much scanlines, so that's why I prefere no use 15k on them)
I buyed an egret2 for my 15k shoots
and I will buy a new astro for my 15k fights (cps2, mvs)

but if I can have 2x new net or net city I will be very happy to have only 2x cabs at home :-) and I will sell the others
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

-VR1,2,3 are voltages for different frequencies, like 15,24,31k (it's better if you dont touch them because if you put much voltage for ex VR3 = 31k your screen might be clignoting, in this case you must minimize it. (one time I have touch it and after I made much time to turn it back like in the beginning default setting)
-VR8 = I dont know which is the difference between this focus pot and the general focus pot behind the THT (it's a default setting to, it's better don't touch it)

now my question is : have somebody found an horizontal equivalency to the vertical linearity ? (VR10)
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Negative points:

Poor wiring
Poor psu
Poor monitor quality control (some have okay geometry, but the ones I've seen have had shockingly bad geometry)
No monitor frame (so removing monitor is a bitch), high chance of necking the toob.
No knobs for the volume controls, thin steel.
No -5V for older Jamma games

Positive points:

Cheap
50% JVS ready
Tri-sync ready
Can support Sega panels (although there is a gap)
They look kinda nice.

Geezer Verdict:

Tesco value beans, some people can live with them, some can't..
Say hello to my little friend...
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

erzane wrote:-now my question is : have somebody found an horizontal equivalency to the vertical linearity ? (VR10)
ImageImage

ImageImage
energizerfellow
Please Continue...

Post by energizerfellow »

erzane wrote:for every people who want to buy an aw sd, I woul like to post this subject :
- you can find this cab with 1P panel only, if you want to put a 2P it will be only a fake (some original 2P panel exists but nobody can have it because there is only a few piece in the world (those 2P panels were fited on cabs during the 2003 arcade show for the newcomer MS6 game, I think only japanese guy have some) http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amsg43tv0.jpg"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Atomiswave SD was a rebadge and/or variant of the Taito Egret 3? If so, Egret 3 2p panels are somewhat readily available.
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

AWSD as a mame box is great, very easy setup, shame about no rotate mech though.

Newer monitors mean you would have to be incredibly unlucky to get one with burn in.
ImageImageImage
Gilles54

Post by Gilles54 »

Of course you can find better but for a MUCH higher price

Best value for money tri sync cab imo.
ElPancho
Please Continue...

Post by ElPancho »

Does the monitor automatically switch from 15 khz to 31 khz or is it manual ?
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

ElPancho wrote:Does the monitor automatically switch from 15 khz to 31 khz or is it manual ?
Auto. I had some issues with Arcana Heart though for some reason. It didn’t like the signal over the jamma harness, but is fine with direct vga (weird) other than that it’s a very very easy cab to live with if you don’t plan on rotating the monitor.

I miss mine :(
ElPancho
Please Continue...

Post by ElPancho »

Thanks for answering.
Hope to collect my Awave sometime the next few days.
Downloaded the Awave manual from hard--candy, and had a glance at the pictures.
Looks like I'll keep my astro's tated, maybe mess with the awave later on.
Nice to know it runs 31khz through direct vga beautifully, as I plan on using that vga a lot.
current line up: 3 x New Astro City 2x Atomiswave SD, 3 x Aero (2 NOS) and Aero Table
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

I need certain measurements on the AW if someone can please provide them for me. I need the measurements from the top of the black surrounding bezel to the most bottom, the bottom of the top bezel to the top of the bottom bezel, and the measurement of the unit lengthwise where the screen is. Also, I believe the Egret 2 has similar measurements correct? Here is a pic to help explain better:

-Tha Hindu