NAC Stereo amp & Speaker upgrade

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

NAC Stereo amp & Speaker upgrade

Post by Moonwalker »

Hi Arcadians,

I am thinking of enhancing my 3 NACs with a stereo amp and maybe get better speakers as well.

Priority is the amp and after checking around a bit, I saw that there are different solutions.
It seems there is a solution which will keep the stock condition. Since I still want to use the mono signal from the Jamma connector and would want to keep the cabs in stock condition, this would be the perfect solution for me.

I also saw, that it is possible to get original parts from Sega.

I found a guide in Arcade Projects which should do the exact thing I am looking for:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... -city.454/

As noob as I am I have some questions here and maybe you can help me out, or know an even better solution.

Do i understand it correctly, that I can use all stock Molex and JST connectors which are in the cab without changing one in the approach above?
The 6 Pin Molex goes directly into the PSU? And I do not need to change any connector when changing from a stereo board with cinch to a mono board getting the sound from the Jamma connector except connecting the cinch to the line level converter?

It seems I cannot get a line level converter with a 6 pin Molex here in Germany though...

Also the original Sega AMP seems to use a 5 pin Molex (or is it JST?) connector and would the procedure bethe same?

Which would be the way to go?

Finally I would like to ask if someone has experience with changing the stock speakers. Can you get a good improvement that makes the work worth it? If so, cab someone recommend a model of speakers?

Thank you very much and have a nice Sunday!
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: NAC Stereo amp & Speaker upgrade

Post by emphatic »

I went this route with my EGRET IIs: http://emphatic.se/?p=202

Should be easy to do for your cabinet as well, if the original speakers are easy to remove without any damage to anything, you can look for a nice 2.1 system (the one I used is like 20 euros) with small speakers you can use instead of the original ones. The EGRET II is a very spacious cabinet, so lots of room for a woofer, I'm not sure what a NAC can accommodate... :think:
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Post by Moonwalker »

Thank you very much.
hungar

Post by hungar »

So I I've done this on an astro.

You will need to crimp a molex the line level convertor yourself.

From there i've got it going in to simple phono selector which then feeds in to a little amp which goes to new speakers and a sub.

That way you can have the original JAMMA mono and stereo sources.

From amp to speakers:

Bit dusty in there, the amp and phono selector:

I went down a massive rabbit hole with speakers as well and tried out a fair few full range speakers (settled on these, I think http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/w3-593sf), ultimately you don't need to go nuts with the speakers theres only so much you can get out of them. They do sound much better than the old ones though and a sub really helps.