The current scene for a returner

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: The current scene for a returner

Post by pubjoe »

pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:01 pm I bought a WW7 last year for £50 from YHA.
Just checked. No I didn't :palm: it was £118.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:10 pm
pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:01 pm I bought a WW7 last year for £50 from YHA.
Just checked. No I didn't :palm: it was £118.
:lol: :awe: Still an alright price !

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

kernow wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm Even common mvs carts are ludicrous prices nowadays
if its any consolation i think kof 98 has gotten cheaper ! :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

SuperPang wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:00 pm Ibara was pretty unsuccessful and you could buy new kits for around £250, less than a year after its release if I remember correctly.
The Japanese PCB shops had NOS Espgaluda kits in stock for years at around 35000 Yen.
fools just didnt give it time .... :problem: i still think its still mad how quick the price dropped but i suppose it was more a reflection of the arcade scene at the time ..

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

kernow wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:16 pm
geotrig wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:14 pm
kernow wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:56 pm Even common mvs carts are ludicrous prices nowadays
if its any consolation i think kof 98 has gotten cheaper ! :problem:
Cheaper than the 25-30 it was for years?
yeah but 30 stg was worth a lot more years ago :P

and it not much more now in euros !

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I don't think the prices are ludicrous, especially compared to certain other carts that are nothing at all like MVS.

The shipping from Japan isn't too bad. Keep the parcel marked under £135 and wait two months. It was about £20 total fees on top.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:20 pm I don't think the prices are ludicrous, especially compared to certain other carts that are nothing at all like MVS.

The shipping from Japan isn't too bad. Keep the parcel marked under £135 and wait two months. It was about £20 total fees on top.
some have gone silly raguy was ,20quid for years and not so long ago and just seems to have jumped in value to be over a ton now and some of the shooters have shot up as well but most are still good value.

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

geotrig wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:27 pmand some of the shooters have shot up
Those shmuppers again. :roll:

By the way we, and the other handful of forums are the scene. Keep talking up crazy prices and we make them true.

I keep saying it but outside of shmups it's really not that bad.

---

I think I got WW7 mixed up with the price of another MVS cart I bought from YHA last year. KOF 02 for £35. Probably close to £50 with fees once combined in a parcel.

76BD58A2-EEA0-4893-8117-FFF1F70345D1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm By the way we, and the other handful of forums are the scene. Keep talking up crazy prices and we make them true.
I think its mainly a few dozen french/italians with more money than brains that keep bringing the insanity to new heights. You might see a "MP send" but that's where it ends. The fun did go away when the whales entered.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah that's true. There are certainly a few whales with cash to throw at the hard to find stuff. As you say though it's often a quiet MP. I'd like to be careful hyping up / normalising unusual prices that we think something has sold for.

Slightly beat up Sega cabs and fighting games are alright. There's still hope for the non rarities.
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

I am still trying to make sense of some of the prices. There are so many emulation and other technical options that don't require original hardware; on the other hand there are also many technical solutions that allow old hardware to be connected to modern TVs. CPS2 suicide has been fixed, AFAIK there is a simple workaround for CPS3 but here prices have skyrocketed. Did SFIV or Daigo's Evo moment spark new popularity for SFIII? Can't be an availablity-only issue, cause Atomiswave, PGM, Crystal System and Naomi seem to be priced ok (please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't expect yesteryears prices after 10-15 years, I mean yesteryear prices with adjustment.

IIRC correctly @SuperPang mentioned Japan having dried up. What is it like now? Only big chains left, all small Arcades finally having shut down during Corona after struggeling for years? What kind of games are being played right now/are popular?
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

You wont notice it on this forum but go to facebook and quickly see how huge and accessible all sorts of collecting has become, theres 100x as many people collecting now compared to 10 years ago all competing for the same supply..
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

sven666 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:39 pm You wont notice it on this forum but go to facebook and quickly see how huge and accessible all sorts of collecting has become, theres 100x as many people collecting now compared to 10 years ago all competing for the sameless supply..
ive never bothered with facebook but have heard similar said about other hobbies and collecting as well ,i think id rather sell up than join that ****
MrSandman wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:22 pm I am still trying to make sense of some of the prices. There are so many emulation and other technical options that don't require original hardware; on the other hand there are also many technical solutions that allow old hardware to be connected to modern TVs. CPS2 suicide has been fixed, AFAIK there is a simple workaround for CPS3 but here prices have skyrocketed. Did SFIV or Daigo's Evo moment spark new popularity for SFIII? Can't be an availablity-only issue, cause Atomiswave, PGM, Crystal System and Naomi seem to be priced ok (please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't expect yesteryears prices after 10-15 years, I mean yesteryear prices with adjustment.

IIRC correctly @SuperPang mentioned Japan having dried up. What is it like now? Only big chains left, all small Arcades finally having shut down during Corona after struggeling for years? What kind of games are being played right now/are popular?
ive never classed myself as a collector or tried to be but have always been interested and loved the hardware side of the games as much as anything , I'd mostly rather not play a game than use emulation tbh( a view and thought process that is harder to work with these days,i do have a rgbpi set up :( ) , the multis to me drove up cps3 prices (as well as cps2 prices )a bit along with the other factors of some big money entering the hobby. I wouldnt say supply from japan has dried up just yet but its no where near as abundant and some games just go through phases of popularity as well the days of 1000yen games is long gone though.
'
pubjoe wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:25 pm Yeah that's true. There are certainly a few whales with cash to throw at the hard to find stuff. As you say though it's often a quiet MP. I'd like to be careful hyping up / normalising unusual prices that we think something has sold for.

Slightly beat up Sega cabs and fighting games are alright. There's still hope for the non rarities.
I'd agree with this 100% we are our own worst enemys normalising oddball pricing and it has turned the hobby to **** ....its partially why I hate valuation threads or sub section (vac) for example as it for me its normalising odd prices and it feels like everytime ** pcb goes for sale prices seem to go up that bit or odd pricing is quoted as normal ,ebay pricing is on par with forum pricing nearly now !! I sold many a game in the past for less* than I payed but that it seems is a totally foreign concept to take a hit anymore,(not saying we need to or should but prices on the market fluctuated up/down more before)

o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

That's a really interesting point about selling for less than you paid, come to think of it that's how I used to sell stuff years ago too. I suppose there was a bit more of a community vibe going on rather than all this collector madness, so folks cut each other deals.

Seems to have gone the other way and profits are assumed on sales now. I suppose it can be fairly tempting given the price increase of a lot of hardware.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I've knowingly sold stuff privately for well below what it would achieve on the open market, and moved stuff on at substantial profit IN the open market as well.

Overall I believe I'm probably at break even with what I currently own versus what I've bought and sold. I'm fine with that.

Trading is part of the hobby. Maybe it could be argued it's the most important part. Forums with active buying/selling sections see a lot more activity than those where items move slowly, and since demand has outstripped supply and value has rocketed you see the impact on interest elsewhere.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've noticed that as the containers of CRT cabs have dried up, there's been a marked increase in rhythm games leaving Japan. There seems to be quite a substantial community building around that in the US in particular.
AxBattler
Initials: MS

Post by AxBattler »

'once upon a time' :awe:

(from a german arcade board)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I sold a few Cave boxes for 30 quid each. Look at these idiots paying 30 quid for a box I said to myself.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

:lol: I was the idiot that bought it without a box and didn't pick up the cardboard !:lolno: 155 must be close to the lowest :think:
SuperPang wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:15 pm I've noticed that as the containers of CRT cabs have dried up, there's been a marked increase in rhythm games leaving Japan. There seems to be quite a substantial community building around that in the US in particular.
yeah seems ddr and rhythm have exploded even near the end of g60hotbuns containers had quiet a few in the mix from what i remember

o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

AxBattler wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:23 pm 'once upon a time' :awe:

(from a german arcade board)

This post of Ronnie's from 2009 always makes me chuckle
Ronnie.PNG