Initials: JNX

Re: The current scene for a returner

Post by sven666 »

haha, the jaguar and its games.. yeah all of them.. are **** garbage too. :lol:
Grinning Cat
eBay: N/A

Post by Grinning Cat »

I can clearly remember buying a brand new Jaguar for £9.99 about twenty years ago now :lol: My cat at the time probably had more fun with the giant Atari carrier bag than I had with the console...
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Pete wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:49 pm Remember we are living in a time when Atari Jaguar & games are fetching big money when only a few years ago they were selling cheap.
I’m (like most of you) am an absolutely colossal nerd.
I’ve played so many hours of so many games and systems I couldn’t begin to guess the actual number…

I’ve genuinely never played a Jaguar game, couldn’t name one, and I don’t even think I’ve ever seen one in real life.

Bonkers that people are paying real money for these things!
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Post by Neo Gold »

kernow wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:59 pm Yep I bought one for £9.99 new also and still felt ripped off

Sold it to collectard for £140
Worth keeping for Tempest alone!.. "Super zapper recharge!".
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

sven666 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 6:46 pm $2500 is alot of money to most people, the prospect to make that much quickly and easily completely legit doesnt make you a bad person or any less of a collector/player...

I disagree. It does make you less of a player.

Collecting? Fair enough, I guess wheeling and dealing is part of that. I've never felt in tune with that mindset, so I wouldn't know. But playing, how shortsighted do you have to be not to understand that pulling of crap like that inevitably makes it **** for all of you?

Yes, yes, I know

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Can't say I have any interest in doing that.

If I want money, I can get a job.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Why would you? Say you bought espgaluda for 200 in 2009, are you going to sell it for 175 today?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

kernow wrote: February 5th, 2023, 2:36 pmRarely does anyone sell for less than they paid

I regularly sell things for less than I paid. I'm not sure I understand this weird mentality where things should somehow be more expensive after I've used them.

arcnl wrote: February 5th, 2023, 3:11 pmSay you bought espgaluda for 200 in 2009, are you going to sell it for 175 today?

14 years after? Probably not, but I'm not sure I want to sell it for a grand either. Like I wouldn't want to pay a grand for it.

But if I picked up something three months ago from a local, in person, yeah, I wouldn't flip it for two grand more on the internet. Seems slimy as hell.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

kernow wrote: February 5th, 2023, 3:39 pmWell of course you should sell things for less, I do with hifi and the like, but it seems for collectibles it's a rare thing.

Right. I've never been into collectibles. I don't have any antiques, toys, trading cards, coins, etc. I just kind of fell into it because I like videogames.

I don't like it :(
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Used to be nice selling stuff worth £50 for only £40 on the forum. Getting nice quick easy sales and feeling good about the price compliments.

£2000 is something else entirely. No one's knowingly knocking that off as a forum favour unless they're rich enough not to give a ****. Initial seller in the story was unlucky. What he did in years the next buyer did in months.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I'm sure @brendz knew exactly what he had.

Also, if you're buying up PCBs that are worth 4k, I would want to think that you're rich enough not to give a ****.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

He knew someone would turn up offering $6000 but he only wanted $3800? Must be nice.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

The world of PCB collecting is a small one. It's not like collecting antiques where you'd get a pat on the back for that. So this does seem like a bit of a dick move, no matter how much he needed the money. The result is a keen buyer has set a precedent and nobody is going to sell one at $3800 again (or at least start that low). I can see why that **** people off. On the flip-side, it's a free market. Few people are going to tun down a couple of grand out of principle.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

There’s a similar discussion going on on UKVAC, and my input there was something like this…

My most expensive PCB cost £1900. I don’t have £1900 to burn, and I absolutely don’t think any game is worth that much.
I think it should be obvious to all that you shouldn’t pay £1900 to play a game.

However, it’s also an asset. Let’s say (hopefully) prices have peaked. It’s still worth £1900.

Let’s say I ever get the time to practice and eventually 1cc it, and want to try something else.
Or life gets in the way and I need the money.
Or I simply fall out of love with the hobby…

I can still sell it for £1900.

I haven’t actually spent the £1900, I’ve effectively tied it up in an asset.

If prices drop, then I might be a few hundred quid down. That’s fair, I’ve had a lot of subjective value from it so far.

If it breaks, then I’m out of pocket, but that’s the same for every single large purchase any of us ever make.

It’s still ridiculous, and inaccessible to many, and that sucks of course.
I’m only able to hold that PCB because I’m older now and have a little disposable income that I’m happy to invest.

The vast majority of my life I’ve been completely skint, so it feels like a treat to be able to indulge in a frivolous hobby that I love.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

We have this discussion annually tbh :palm:

It gets more sensitive with inflation :fastlove:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

kernow wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:59 pm If I have something and someone wants to pay over double it's being sold quicker than Usain bolt needing a ****

Fools and their money innit
Most of us have something cabs bought for 4/500 that people have offered well over double but havent sold...
pubjoe wrote: February 5th, 2023, 4:08 pm Used to be nice selling stuff worth £50 for only £40 on the forum. Getting nice quick easy sales and feeling good about the price compliments.

£2000 is something else entirely. No one's knowingly knocking that off as a forum favour unless they're rich enough not to give a ****. Initial seller in the story was unlucky. What he did in years the next buyer did in months.
Very very good point, people used to be called out a lot more for flipping as it was against the general community.. Don't see it much more any longer and flipping seems to be the general game for some I've said it I hate the way the valuations sub on vac and sometimes thread here has gone as I see it' as a work around on forum pricing rules on items and seems to be setting prices higher and higher and by the very people who take issue with the MP brigade ..no one really needs to check a price on general commonish items that much ,to be fair some threads are genuine and grand.
@chris I see mine as "potential assets" but don't care really as I mainly buy to play still... Prices stop me more than ever now though not that I'd spunk over 600 on any game :oops: :(
Sure fire way of keeping any game price low is getting me to buy a copy :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

To you love maybe :fastlove: :hinthint:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"