Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Re: The current scene for a returner

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Madness…

I’ve got a Windy II that I was lucky enough to get for £1100.

Rotating the screen really isn’t difficult, its Tri-Sync, JVS and fully JAMMA compatible with the Konami IO board.

Subjectively, I think it looks better too.

How an Egret II is nearly four grand dearer, with no 31kHz ability, makes no sense to me at all…
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

MrSandman wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:21 pm What is it with these Egrets anyways, besides "easy rotate mechanism and monitor with near flawless geometry, and stunning picture in 15kHz", that everybody is after one? In contrast to other cabs?
I still get crazy/obscene offers for the Pony 3. Maybe I should change the Pony for a row of E2s, but what would be life without a pony :lol:

A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

Sold my Pony 3 to Switzerland, a home use only minty thing with the best screen I've ever seen. I don't miss it a bit.
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

MrSandman wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:21 pm What is it with these Egrets anyways, besides "easy rotate mechanism and monitor with near flawless geometry, and stunning picture in 15kHz", that everybody is after one? In contrast to other cabs?
They were definitely bigged up for the rotate mechanism for a long time and I think the visual look of that and the AWSD are both very accessible. Problem I've found with them (well with the AWSD I had years ago) is they're just big, fat motherf*ckers. They look dainty in photos but when you get them into your house (Irish houses anyway!) they look bloody huge :lol:

aerobert wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:02 am Sold my Pony 3 to Switzerland, a home use only minty thing with the best screen I've ever seen. I don't miss it a bit.
I had Grantspain service the chassis in my Pony III about ten years ago and it's still one of the nicest screens I've seen to this day.

Realistically I don't really have space for it, but at the same time I know that if I sell it I'll never get another one again - Raiden II is one of my favourite games of all time and it just plays so perfectly in the thing!
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

SuperPang wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:57 pm Looking forward to this thread getting bumped in 5 years.

"remember when you could get an Egret 2 for 5 grand lol"
Haha! That's so bloody true. I remember spending a little under 1.5k for my Pony III and thinking I was an absolute madman. Was nearly embarrassed telling folks how much I spent on it.

Actually had to choose between that, a Cute and an Aero table which were all 1.5k each. Decided on the Pony in the end. Could have almost bought them all now for the price people are paying for one machine.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

wonderbanana wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:55 pm
I suspect in most cases the price and demand is driven by people who haven’t owned one. Yes they are good cabs but £3k above say an Astro better? Madness. Buy 2 Astros, instant access to either orientation, spare change for a Cave pcb or kidney.

Other cabs have rotate mechs and even though the screen on an E2 is an easy turn, the bezel/surround is a pita.
it is a pita but it really is still quick and easy and better than an aero bezel which was made from unicorn tears !
ChrisBEANS wrote: January 18th, 2023, 7:03 pm Madness…

Rotating the screen really isn’t difficult, its Tri-Sync, JVS and fully JAMMA compatible with the Konami IO board.

How an Egret II is nearly four grand dearer, with no 31kHz ability, makes no sense to me at all…
well there isn't a whole host of games worth having 31khz or 24khz for to be fair ! and i say that as a fan of the windy II

I agree with kern :problem: 2.5k maybe :problem: have any actually sold for 4-5k ,didnt think they had and even if it did 1 sale doesnt set the market right :shifty: which seems to be the case these days :problem: :problem: ?
E2 is slightly better quality to AWSD/ E3
I think the fact taito scrapped a load for tax back and there seems to be just a metric tonne of astros about creates a bit of a price difference (not that e2 are a scarce they are not ), I also slightly prefer the E2 over an Astro.
Dont get me started on Ponies ,i never understood the price for them ! but i do love the cp design.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

we know this thread will get bumped in 5 years with someone wondering if the E2 are still available for 5k right ! :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

geotrig wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:57 am
well there isn't a whole host of games worth having 31khz or 24khz for to be fair ! and i say that as a fan of the windy II

Fair comment!

I got it simply because MS6 is on the AW and that looks way better in 31 than 15. Dolphin Blue looks great on a big 31kHz screen too (gameplay is wildly overrated though!!)

Just fun to have a cab that does all of the stuff
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

I always found the Taito wiring a bit messy compared to the Sega cabs & having the crt on a monitor frame worked better for me.
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

kernow wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:51 pm Definitely availability of spares
:thumbup: That is interesting. Can I up-vote this answer somehow?
wonderbanana wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:55 pm Yes they are good cabs but £3k above say an Astro better?
That's exactly what I was asking myself.
ChrisBEANS wrote: January 18th, 2023, 7:03 pm Madness…
Compared side by side to other 15Khz monitors, is it really that much of a difference in quality?
IIRC from the Wiki, the New Net City's monitor is considered to be one of the best ever made (tri-sync) but I can't remember NNCs going for more than 2K -2.5K.
What about the sound of the Egret? Say compared to a Sega Naomi Universal (yeah, it's the only thing I have any experience with).
geotrig wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:57 am ...and there seems to be just a metric tonne of astros about...
Really? Sounds like good news for me then :awe:

Thank y'all for your input.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

I take it the days of £660 (in 2005) cabs are long gone...
If I hadn't started many years ago, I wouldn't be able to make much of a dent in collecting arcade stuff at today's prices.
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

gundarN wrote: January 27th, 2023, 7:01 pm I take it the days of £660 (in 2005) cabs are long gone...
If I hadn't started many years ago, I wouldn't be able to make much of a dent in collecting arcade stuff at today's prices.
Dont know much about cab prices, but say CPS2 games and A-boards prices seem to not have gone through the roof, unlike say the CPS 3 System. Missed the chance in the marketplace here for a 2nd strike full kit for 250,- back then. Oh, and MVS prices seem to have maintained their levels.
Where cave kits ever significantly below 1000,-?
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

I rmember having no takers for a deathsmiles kit for 350. So, yes.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Ibara was pretty unsuccessful and you could buy new kits for around £250, less than a year after its release if I remember correctly.
The Japanese PCB shops had NOS Espgaluda kits in stock for years at around 35000 Yen.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

Yatons MFBL kits bottomed out around $400 i think.. does he still have some?

Arcadeshock still have nos espgaluda kits ($2500) and just recently sold out of espgaluda 2 ($3500)...
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

MrSandman wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:47 pm
gundarN wrote: January 27th, 2023, 7:01 pm I take it the days of £660 (in 2005) cabs are long gone...
Dont know much about cab prices, but say CPS2 games and A-boards prices seem to not have gone through the roof, unlike say the CPS 3 System. Missed the chance in the marketplace here for a 2nd strike full kit for 250,- back then. Oh, and MVS prices seem to have maintained their levels.
Where cave kits ever significantly below 1000,-?
Yes, CPS2 and MVS are both great for buyers of original hardware. Great games, good availability, okay prices, and best of all MVS carts almost never go wrong. CPS2 boards tend to survive extremely well in their cases too, now that their suicide pact was solved anyway.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Erm..
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I bought a WW7 last year for £50 from YHA.

Even at £100 or so they're ludicrously cheap compared to homocarts.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

Homocarts? Id buy that for a dollar!!

Personally i think most games on mvs are garbage i wouldnt even want for free..
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

kernow wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:03 pmNo idea why you mentioned homecarts but ok
Ludicrous is a very strange way for a homecart collector to describe £50-£200 arcade games.