The current scene for a returner

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: The current scene for a returner

Post by nem »

Pete wrote: January 5th, 2023, 3:46 pmJPN Sega Lindy & glad I waited as the upgraded screen is lovely.

Did yours come with an upgraded screen or did you upgrade it yourself?

I've heard of an official one, but never seen it.
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

nem wrote: January 6th, 2023, 3:43 pm
Pete wrote: January 5th, 2023, 3:46 pmJPN Sega Lindy & glad I waited as the upgraded screen is lovely.

Did yours come with an upgraded screen or did you upgrade it yourself?

I've heard of an official one, but never seen it.
Cools upgraded it with this:

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-32ML600M-B

as he bought it without a screen if I had got the cab all those years ago I would of had to put up with a terrible screen by today standards & only 720p.

More info here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34633
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

For a returner:

- the good thing is that AO is still a thing. AO wiki is the reference for Candy Cab knowledge and the forum treasures a lot of great threads. Thank you guys for keeping our home alive 8-)

- more people are into candy cabs nowadays, but we are still a minority.

- prices are in another league. X0.000 for a cab and x.000 for pcbs are not world records anymore.

- the type x3 multi was released.

- EXA still lacks a new CAVE game.

- It seems that HD cabs with original (and good shape) monitors are becoming unicorns :problem:

- E2M and ACM V are lovely.

- MiSTer is still a promise to dominate emulation.

- no cv1000 multi yet

- Mikado Europe official grand opening is still to happen.

- Taito Hey is still up and running.
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Other than shmups, PCB prices aren't THAT bad. £200 is the new £50, but that's over a long time now. The rarer stuff has inflated more.

Sega cabs haven't gone too crazy.

Things don't come up for sale so often so being particular is expensive.

As has been said MISTer is a brilliant option, and there's still always the even better option of Groovymame. It's not a terrible time imo.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Yeah and i think there are some good things for modern arcade gaming.

You really don't HAVE to have a CRT cab, buy yourself a reasonably priced scruffy Vewlix C (et al) and spend a bit of time taking apart, cleaning it up and fitting a new screen, then get yourelf a cracked X3, add a MiSTer, then what else do you need.

Hell you could spend even less on a Chewlix if you wanted.

I totallly love CRT's, but if I had to start from scratch, **** it.

You want your favourite arcade games on PCB? List your top 5, then cross out all but the top 2 or 3 and spend however many hundreds (or thousands) and that's your lot.

Finally, as I am a total weed, I need my E2, as no way I can rotate a 29" monitor, but really the Astro is a much better cab by far.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

bloodhokuto wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:12 pmYou want your favourite arcade games on PCB? List your top 5, then cross out all but the top 2 or 3 and spend however many hundreds (or thousands) and that's your lot.
:awe: Maybe in shmupworld. I'm the exact opposite. I take my top fifty, add another fifty, and then buy whatever comes up at (what I think is) a good price. I've got most that I want this way and I'm buying during the supposedly crazy era.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I really think it's more a case of shmup prices going high and not arcade in general. It's similar for shmup console ports too.

Likewise people call retro-gaming expensive but consoles are £50-£100 and the best games are all pretty cheap unless you want sealed and graded US boxes. A few headline prices skew perception but it only really impacts the rarest items. That's a different world of dick swinging, not retro gaming, not even retro collecting.

On that note, headline cab prices aren't necessarily actual sold prices. It's worth being careful with valuation based on one post. Sales of some items are so rare or unknown that valuation is just someone's guess. When it comes to a serious sum of cash it's very hard to discuss trades without **** on someone else, so eventual agreements don't get publicised.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

That'd be your three favourite PCBs.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... 7&start=20

Mr Bob's favourites: £200-odd for Track N Field, £200-odd for the best selling Capcom games (£350-£400 for D&D,SoM), £50-£100 for most of those MVS games, maybe £250-£300 each for Pulstar and Garou. Most expensive standard cab game is probably £500-£600 for R-Type.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Far from £4000 though innit. Most popular CPS2 games are no more than ~£200 a b-board today. SoM at £350-£400 has always been one of the more expensive ones.

I came in over fifteen years ago with a cabinet and a plan to connect up Mame. As a newcomer I was shocked I could buy my favourite games on original hardware for only £50 each. A lot of those are £150-£200 today. It's above inflation but not absurdly. Factor growing scarcity and the different GBP>USD conversion and nothing weird has happened.

Would anyone be expecting to come into this hobby today (and insisting on buying original hardware) for £50 games and £500 imported hardcore Japanese cabs?

I know some specific things (again, shmups) have gone bonkers but I don't know why that term is applied so generally to the whole hobby. Capcom, Konami, Taito, Sega and Nintendo made my favourite arcade games. They're mostly very affordable. Tbh they're still cheaper today than I'd have imagined before I bought my first cab in about 2005.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I always thought it was mad that you could buy an authentic Japanese arcade machine for 500 quid! Im not trying to justify them fetching a few grand now, but I guess it was inevitable wasn’t it.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I just watched a two year old YouTube video about Ibara on PS2. The fella said the arcade original costs $4000. Safe to assume he based that on some ridiculous unsold ebay listing.

Like before I first discovered actual arcade selling prices, I don't think outsiders would expect prices to be lower than they really are, I think it's still mostly the opposite.
MrBob
eBay: Trollshaw

Post by MrBob »

I've enjoyed following the conversation thanks for all the feedback.

A chance at a cab has come up and so based on what I have read here and after looking into stuff like the MiSTer and MiSTercade, my plan is to get a cab and use something like a MiSTer for an instant library (I like the idea of some Megadrive and Super Famicom on it as well). Then over time buy my favourite PCB's and whatever as original.

Not wanting to get too sentimental but I think for everyone here I guess, candy cabs are very evocative and we all remember when we first saw one. While the cost is way more than it was when I last bought one, it's about more than that I guess. I'm happy to go the MiSTer route for playing. For collecting I will stick to buying my favourite games as and when.
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Raspberry Pi + xbox pad job done :P
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

As a collector my view is that hardware simulation or software emulation is not going to be authentic, it's the difference between owning an original artwork and a near perfect reproduction print. Does that matter for gameplay, not so much.
"Please contact the local attendant"
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

Is owning a PCB for yourself and compete against the CPU in a fighting games authentic? Challenge others is authentic and that's only in an arcade or online. For shmups, definitely the PCB is the way to go, but 80% of the hardcore scoring guys don't use a PCB either. They take the mame or console route. Even for practice the emulation or console stuff is way better. Owning this stuff is complete luxury and has nothing to do with the real hardcore gaming experience only if you play in an arcade and put your score on the board there.
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

LarsVegas wrote: January 5th, 2023, 3:40 pm I'm sorry to tell, but my opinion is that there are to many people nowadays that see Hobbys as an investment.
True in any hobby. Everything is suffering of the same issues, high demand, low supply, which increased dramatically over the pandemic. And some people see opportunities to make money.

About japan drying up on cabs...no. They're still there, but their domestic demand increased too, and they just won't export neither games or cabs in the same extent anymore.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

LarsVegas wrote: January 10th, 2023, 11:10 pm Is owning a PCB for yourself and compete against the CPU in a fighting games authentic? Challenge others is authentic and that's only in an arcade or online. For shmups, definitely the PCB is the way to go, but 80% of the hardcore scoring guys don't use a PCB either. They take the mame or console route. Even for practice the emulation or console stuff is way better. Owning this stuff is complete luxury and has nothing to do with the real hardcore gaming experience only if you play in an arcade and put your score on the board there.
I agree but this isn't exactly news. Bringing arcade hardware into your home has always been an obsessive niche. If it wasn't for these forums I'd never have met anyone else that's into it. It's also generational. You don't have to be much younger than me for arcade-authentic to be meaningless.
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

@MrBob, I find the hobby is not as fast paced as it was "then" (12yrs ago); you need more time to find spare parts, if you get any at all. Finding someone who is willing/competent for repairs might be another issue too. With regards to gaming, I think most have moved to emulation in one way or another or multi-game storage solutions. Can't tell you much about cabs, but for CRTs PVM/BVM is the thing to own now apparently. You might still find a nice consumer CRT on your local class ads if that is an option for you.
And in general, anything from the 80s to the early 2000s has been so nerdified that you are not allowed to talk about it if you don't have a PhD in "retro gaming".
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
Aurich

Post by Aurich »

LarsVegas wrote: January 10th, 2023, 11:10 pm Is owning a PCB for yourself and compete against the CPU in a fighting games authentic? Challenge others is authentic and that's only in an arcade or online
Or you could just invite people over to play games. Isn't that one of the reasons to own cabs?
gutter-trash-wide-angle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

If you can, why not.