Astro Button/Wiring-Stumped

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Madgear
eBay: PM
Initials: ACE

Astro Button/Wiring-Stumped

Post by Madgear »

Question about wiring— I remember before asking about harnesses when setting up my cabinet years ago- I’ve come to a new challenge in my understanding here.

The goal: I want to play my Taito f3 with all buttons on the 2 player control panel.

The issue is that 80% of my games are Capcom fighters and the kick harness accounts for the bottom row of buttons on both player sides.

When switching to a board with lout the Capcom kick harness- only the top row of buttons are functional.

So, if I remember correctly on past advice when working with my cabinet- I was advised to get an extra button loom that connects to the ten slot harness in the control panel. From there the additional bottom row button wiring on the JAMMA edge connector will connect to the buttons.
DFACFE14-379F-4796-BE82-55B7C4467CBB.jpeg
However, I’m sure I’m missing something here, because I’ve gained to function to the bottom row of buttons. [Also if it were this easy, I wouldn’t ever need a kick harness for Capcom boards. :D. ]

So, what am I misunderstanding here? How do I get function to the bottom row of my buttons when using this Taito board?

Also, what this harness for? I actually tried attaching the extra button loom here also to no success.
10CB9BD3-1D05-49E0-B40F-C43CBB3445FB.jpeg
Any help is welcome and appreciated! I’m not the best with wiring so forgive me if this is a super obvious thing! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Re: Astro Button/Wiring-Stumped

Post by thegreathopper »

You need get an adapter to go from the Capcom kick harness to the F3, the Capcom kick harness is the extra plug that goes to your CPS2 board.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

How many buttons did the F3 use? Do any games use more than 4?

The 10 pin extra button harness under your control panel just routes to the plug you are holding in the last picture.

What you you normally do is connect your extra 3 button harness to that under the control panel, and then connect the capcom kick harness to the plug you are holding inside the cabinet.

Are you running a full extra harness for your capcom kick harness? :lol:

If the F3 only uses 4 buttons per player (like neogeo or PGM) then you can run all 4 buttons from the main 1 or 2 player harness
Madgear
eBay: PM
Initials: ACE

Post by Madgear »

Thanks for the responses!

@thegreathopper I didn’t know this was a thing! Ill need to inspect the f3 board, I didn't notice a pin out for a additional button harness! Thank you!

@DaveyD Thank you as well. The game I’m running, kaiser knuckle- runs the capcom style 6 buttons per player! So, a little different from the usual f3 games- like mostly bubble bobbles lol

I plug my kick harness for capcom games directly to where the red circle is in the first image; that ten pin connector. So its possible I’ve bern doubling up, but I never gained bottom row function with it plugged elsewhere LOL! :lol:

So it seems the conclusion is that im missing a f3 kick harness— this plugs either into the ten pin in the last picture (and extends via the connector in the control panel) Ill try to locate one. Many thanks. ;)