Stock monitor differences Vewlix + G-balance info

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
chapddr
Initials: CAS

Stock monitor differences Vewlix + G-balance info

Post by chapddr »

I'm looking into buying a LCD Cab to play online fighting games using a PC and found a seller with multiple Vewlix and G-balance models available. Tthere are a couple of things I would like to know more about before I buy one, and I hope someone might be able to help me out with their knowledge :D

As I understand the Vewlix L (black+white, or the blue AMI version) has a worse screen compared to the F or C model. How much worse is it? I am leaning towards the L AMI, as I really like it's dark blue color. It might be possible to buy an AMI with the monitor of a F or C for a little extra. Might be worth it?

Also, are there any monitor revision that I should be aware of? (Superior models)

And for my final question: how does the G-balance, and it's black cousin the SQ, stack up compared to a Vewlix? I can hardly find any info on them. Are they 768p like the Vewlix? Are the monitors and overal build-quality any good? Really curious here... (Also, does anyone know what the difference is between the G-balance and SQ aside from the color?)

I am asking many question, so many thanks in advance :P Below is an image of the SQ cabinet, as reference.

GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Re: Stock monitor differences Vewlix + G-balance info

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Someone alerted me to this post and figured I would share some findings I had.
I have imported several of these in the US as well as a number of Vewlix of varying models. My personal collection has a G-Balance actually so I should be able to help you out here with some info.

- As I understand the Vewlix L (black+white, or the blue AMI version) has a worse screen compared to the F or C model.

This is pretty much the case. The L model was Taito's budget model. I cant remember who made the screen (I think its Samsung or a repurpose of a Samsung Panel) but its of the Chinese variety iirc.
F and C use Sanwa 768P displays (same display as the G-Balance actually)

- How much worse is it?
Panel is still 768p but I cant speak for specific specs like input lag, I just hear they are not great.
Due to age I am finding the L panels tend to either get burn in or the picture is dim. This is due to age.

- Also, are there any monitor revision that I should be aware of?

I don't know about revisions of the Sanwa panel if there were any but from a purely stock parts perspective in this case the L cabinet is subpar compared to the others. Not sure about SQ

Between the SQ and G-Balance, G-Balance is the superior model at least what the people in Japan have always told me.
They say its because of the monitor, which is the exact same Sanwa monitor used in the C and F cabs.

Since I have never really imported an SQ I do not know what the actual panel makes an models are for those.

- And for my final question: how does the G-balance, and it's black cousin the SQ, stack up compared to a Vewlix?

Build quality on the GFI cabs seem to be pretty decent imo. They are pretty roomy inside at some spots, which is nice compared to the smaller space inside the Vewlix.
Some areas on my G-Balance have thinner metal used like the doors or the backside cover panel, but its not really noticeable and the actual assembly seems well thought out and sturdy. The entire CP assembly also detaches from the cabinet fairly easily, the cabinet sits entirely on casters, and the screen rotates which are nice quality of life features.

The G-Balance specifically is prewired for JAMMA AND JVS (not sure about the SQ) but you must have a video scaler board, and Jamma extender installed into the cabinet for Jamma. Originally GFI sold weiya scalers I think but I have never seen a cabinet with one installed.
Actually this cabinet has slide panels on the back much like the Vewlix, for easily setting up head to head versus setups, GFI supposedly made a versus board for these but I have never seen them installed in a cabinet.

The actual IO will work out of the box with the Jamma connector and its prewired, theres a jumper connector to change between the modes on the IO.

With a Vewlix if you were wanting to acheive the same things from a factory perspective you would have to order Taitos JAMMA kit and RGB scaler board.
All of this is kind of moot you could just buy a Irken Labs Jammafier as well.

The sound on the cabinet is just two speakers but they are quite decent for what they are so its more than adequate and they have a bit of bass to them too.

Personal opinion is to skip the SQ and go with the G-balance but I cant fully recommend that since I never touched a SQ yet.

Its a tough decision though if you are asking G-Balance versus Vewlix C or F, or something to that degree.
They all have their differences and styling but like the G-Balance isn't a bad cabinet in fact I would not mind buying a second now.

Vewlix F,C or G-balance V.S a Vewlix L AMI. I would say if your heart is really set on the L AMI just expect to budget changing the LCD screen out much sooner.

Hope this helps 8-)

Heres a google drive link thats full of photos I took of my cabinet.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... 81mWpd_oop
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Imo the vewlix models that are below the diamonds can benefit from a panel swap.

The ami monitor is not grand, its real old lcd tech, and the sanwa ones tend to die. I would look into getting a screen replacement, they have brackets that can fit most 32 lcds now, so its not too much of a problem.

I can't speak for the G balance since I don't have one, but the Vewlix cabs are designed really well, most everything can be taken on and off with a phillips-head screwdriver. If you went the VLX route, I'd go with a F or C and swap the monitor, and give it a good scrubdown.
chapddr
Initials: CAS

Post by chapddr »

GeekMan1222 wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:27 pm ...
Holy moly, I did not expect such a thorough answer this fast, you da (geek)man! 8-) I spent an entire evening browsing the web for info about the G-balance, and your post contains more than I found (I even went as far as translating old posts on neo-arcadia, haha).

So G-balance > SQ, and G-Balance == Vewlix F or C.

I am planning on using a PC in the cab, and live in a pretty tightly packed appartment. I did not get a good look at the G-balance when I visited my contact, but the G-balance seems a bit bigger (and bulkier) than the Vewlix. I am correct? Also, the Vewlix allows for (fairly) easy dismounting of the control panel and storing it upright using brackets (making it take up much less space). Is the same possible with the G-balance?
radiantsvgun wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:37 pm ...
So regarding the Vewlix L AMI, not swapping the monitor with a Sanwa from a F or C seem like shooting myself in the foot, got it. However, my contact also offers a high-end gaming monitor upgrade. Considering both your comments and the fact that the brackets for mounting one go for €200+ it would be worthwhile to use that service if the price is acceptable. It is above my budget, but upgrading at a later moment might cost me a lot more :lol: