SNK MVS-U4 25 - New owner questions

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

SNK MVS-U4 25 - New owner questions

Post by wonderbanana »

Sooooo :awe: Hoping some knowledgeable peeps can help with some fairly simple questions :shifty:

This things a bit different to my old EII & AWSD. The first big difference is the monitor adjustment. On both the old cabs this was easily accessible. On this its on the edge of the monitor chassis..

My questions are:

1) What bloody tool actually reaches the thing. One recommended to me doesn’t even reach?
2) Is it safe to adjust these when the cab is on? I mean I can’t see how you could any other way but we don’t need Banana fritters in the menu :-o

3) So this thing has an LED for one assumes the different carts in an MVS multi mobo and a card reader with headphone socket. Am I right in thinking they only work on a 2/4/6 slot MVS mobo?

4) CP. I mean it’s lovely :awe: but I need some personal time :shifty: Has anyone ever seen, or fabricated, a 1P panel?

5) What sticks fit? Can an LS32 go in? JLF?

6) Can someone remind me how to get the coin mech working on 20p coins? I’m sure someone did my AWSD & E2, possibly Ralph or Penrhos, but I can’t recall now.

7) Asked in Chris’s old thread but this thing has an internal transformer to run off UK power. I know this can cause picture wobble in some cases but can it actually cause any long term damage? My picture seems fine but don’t want to leave as is if it can cause damage.

Any help and guidance appreciated 8-)
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Re: SNK MVS-U4 25 - New owner questions

Post by thomj »

1) https://www.esr.co.uk/shop/contents/en- ... l_Set.html

You want some plastic trimming tools like these. Not used the company and I'm sure you can find cheaper, just the first search result to show you.

I wouldn't try and reach fromt he front. Take the front door off and reach under

2) yes, so long as you are using plastic tools like the ones above and don't touch anything with your hands or anything conductive

3) yes, there is a header on the multislot motherboards for the LED. The card reader is for a save card.

6) all hail the wiki
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/AD-81P_Coin_Acceptor

7) nah, its fine
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

Legend, thanks Thom for your help 8-) I’d forgotten about the coin mech wiki guide, I think I did modify my egret one myself now I think about it after having someone do the AWSD one :awe:

Monitor wise going in and under looks difficult as the bottom of the chassis is there and its quite tight but will give it a go when I get the tools.

Good news on the transformer, might leave that a while now.

Anyone know about the CP and sticks? Any other U4 tips or insight’s?
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

1) What @thomj said :)

2) What @thomj said :)

3) The LED is a credit counter. Plugs in to the rear of a multi slot mobo. I can dig out the wires and post pics if it’ll be helpful?

The card reader is of course for reading cards, and will only work on multi slot mobos (and I believe one specific ‘long board’ single slot, but that’s third hand. I can’t confirm).
Rather than use a memory card, I’d highly recommend this:-

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info/produc ... mvs-nvmod/

Has a high capacity, and no faff with actual cards.

@Kold666 has also just released the very same product that’s for sale on here too, and has a black PCB and some double sexy screen printing.

Keep the card reader installed though too as it carries the headphone jacks which are plugged in via their own wire to the mobo.

4) @alberto1225 made me a custom 1p panel, and I’ve also seen custom six button panels on a U4, which I’m sure he could knock up too?
I’m extremely happy with the quality of my panel.

5) Stock is an LS32. If you get a custom from Alberto, then all Japanese sticks will fit.

6) Stick a ‘coin up’ button on instead ;)
Easily done, more elegant than keeping pots of coins… but yeah, less fun and nostalgic than dropping in coins.

7) If it’s not affecting the screen, I can’t imagine it’s doing any harm. When I was looking for a solution I was told that an Airlink transformer was the gold standard, so I went for it, but if I hadn’t been having screen wobble then I’d have saved the money and kept the transformer that was in there.

Good luck!! More pics required 8-)
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

Alberto makes the best pannels but you have to wait ages for it!but worth the wait!
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

Cheers all! Chris you have a pic of the 1p panel?
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

It’s not the most ideal picture, but I’m not home to take one, so I’m just using one I have on my phone…

When I asked for a 1p panel I was asked whether I wanted the black area around the buttons or not, and I chose against it, but he was happy to do whatever I wanted.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

ChrisBEANS wrote: May 1st, 2022, 11:22 pm Image

It’s not the most ideal picture, but I’m not home to take one, so I’m just using one I have on my phone…

When I asked for a 1p panel I was asked whether I wanted the black area around the buttons or not, and I chose against it, but he was happy to do whatever I wanted.
Looking good!

More pics of the Windy 2 please.
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

ChrisBEANS wrote: May 1st, 2022, 11:22 pm Image

That’s exactly what I’m after :awe:
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

radiantsvgun wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 7:23 pm
Looking good!

More pics of the Windy 2 please.
Few minor cosmetics and bits to tidy up, and then I’m sure I can be convinced to post some pics…

wonderbanana wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 11:39 am

That’s exactly what I’m after :awe:
Alberto’s your man. I think he has a post up right now saying he’ll get a load done soon, so now might be the time to contact him…

I actually find the repro sturdier to play on too! It’s thicker and more robust compared to the OG, which is two thin pieces of metal sandwiches together.
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

So @thomj and @ChrisBEANS I finally grew a pair and reached under… :shifty:

Monitor is rather odd. I swear it’s slightly tilted to the right but I don’t know how to adjust that. On the main adjustment board there is a dial called ‘apt’ but I don’t know what that does. There are I’m sure additional adjustments you can do on the chassis??? This the same as yours Chris?

The weirdest thing is the picture seems to move up and down randomly- I only noticed it as the credits display for RSG jumps around, its really odd:

In other news I’m talking with @alberto1225 about a 1p panel so that’s all good.

Oh while I think of it, @ChrisBEANS do you find your test button often doesn’t work with pcb’s? Is that a quirk of using an MVS to Jamma converter? I don’t think I’ve got a pcb yet it works with.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Sooooo…

I’m certainly not the best person to answer this stuff, still very much a noob, but I’ll try with what I know/think…

First off, sounds like you’ve got a different chassis to me.
Here’s mine:-

One of the things that ‘could’ affect the screen moving up and down, is the ‘V.hold’. I don’t know the deal with RSG, but apparently different games can have very slightly different size/resolutions for different scenes. For example, a title screen or indeed end credits might be displaying at a different size/resolution(/frequency??) than the in game content, and may need dialling in just a smidge.

Have you checked voltages? That can affect/distort the image on screen? Good practice to check it each time you change PCB anyway as they all draw differing voltages.

Oddly, brightness can make screens appear to ‘expand’. I certainly have this on my U4, but it’s always holrizontal. It’s like the image bows out slightly around bright white images. No idea if this could affect vertical sync at all on another chassis??

Lastly, there’s still the possibility of the PSU. Is it shielded? Is it positioned a decen distance from the chassis/tube?

Again, PLEASE take this all with a pinch of salt. Just my thoughts as a proper noob. Almost everyone here knows better than me!

As for the test button, mine seems to work fine. Does yours work ok with the MVS?
What adapter are you using? I think the ‘JNX big red’ has jumpers on the adapter itself that let you change the ‘test’ button to other things, including the MVS game select button. Maybe check that?

There are plenty of PCBs out there that don’t make use of a test button too. Can you list the PCBs you’ve tried?

Fun hobby huh? I’ve learnt that you spend more time **** about with stuff than you do playing stuff, and I’m surprised to learn I enjoy it just as much!!
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

Thanks Chris- appreciate the help. I feel new to all this again and with a different cab it feels even alien!

And yes that is a different chassis to mine :( I’m still none the wiser as to what ‘apt’ is. @grantspain could you help? There is what looks like 2 sets of pots, one on a board attached to the chassis frame and 1 set in the chassis:

Interestingly I adjusted hsize and it ‘maxed out’ on RSG, was just about okay but with another board I have I don’t think that adjustment will be enough :(

By voltages, do you mean pcb when powered up? Thats fine. Or something else?

PSU looks shielded to me?:

As for the JNX, jumpers look like this:

I’ll recheck the MVS.