New Astro speaker replacement

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
kernelchagi
eBay: jorare8
Initials: COS

New Astro speaker replacement

Post by kernelchagi »

Hello! Im in search for shielded speakers for my NAC. Are there any out there that are a drop in? I got the tangbang W3-871SCan i thought they will gonna fit but they are too big and i dont think i can adapt them to fit inside of the boxes.
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Re: New Astro speaker replacement

Post by aerobert »

I think replacing the NAC speakers is the wrong way to go. The easiest and best thing to do is complement them with a small subwoofer. They will suddenly be sufficient with that added bottom punch they're lacking.
AsanoRonin

Post by AsanoRonin »

He might've blown the originals hence why he's asking?

I had an Altec Lansing pair of PC speakers which had the exact fit speaker which were also shielded as well. Will have to try and find the exact model number.
kernelchagi
eBay: jorare8
Initials: COS

Post by kernelchagi »

aerobert wrote: December 14th, 2021, 8:13 pm I think replacing the NAC speakers is the wrong way to go. The easiest and best thing to do is complement them with a small subwoofer. They will suddenly be sufficient with that added bottom punch they're lacking.
It is more about that they produce an annoying (and very small) effect on the scroll of the crt, and also one of them has a hole in the cone.
AsanoRonin wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:17 pm He might've blown the originals hence why he's asking?

I had an Altec Lansing pair of PC speakers which had the exact fit speaker which were also shielded as well. Will have to try and find the exact model number.
Thanks. At the end i found some on ebay that they seem to be a clean drop in same measurement. "long throw", 3 inches, shielded 80mmx80mm. They are from an LG home cinema or something. Lets see how they are when they come.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

AsanoRonin wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:17 pm He might've blown the originals hence why he's asking?

I can't guess why someone is asking. So I made an assumption.
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

aerobert wrote: December 14th, 2021, 8:13 pm I think replacing the NAC speakers is the wrong way to go. The easiest and best thing to do is complement them with a small subwoofer. They will suddenly be sufficient with that added bottom punch they're lacking.
Any recommendations on a sub and how do you wire it up?👍
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

You'll need a PC 2.1 system with compact subwoofer, preferably one with RCA connectors to its sattelites which will eliminate one cut/soldering step and also you dont damage the system should you want to use it again outside of a cabinet. What you do is essentially "splice" (no cutting involved actually) the cabinet speakers and connect them via the subwoofer through RCA connectors and HI-LO level converter. It will not inflict any damage to the cabinet and is reversible.

I have an excellent written guide by a forum member at Arkadtorget, with pics and essentials needed but it's in Swedish. Maybe I can translate it some time during the holidays.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Here's how I did my subwoofer install in my EGRET II cabinets: http://emphatic.se/?p=202 It might be applicable to a NAC as well.
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

Thanks for the link it’s super helpful,so basically you connect the speaker cables to the high/low input then output from the high low with a audio jack to the pc 2.1 speaker set up.just checking I understand stand it correctly,I’m only use jamma so I can dual mono the speaker cables to high/low input.i think I gonna do this soon been looking at improving the sound for my nac for soom time now!
Thanks again
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Ddshot wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 6:22 pm so basically you connect the speaker cables to the high/low input then output from the high low with a audio jack to the pc 2.1 speaker set up.
JAMMA female connector pin L + 10 (speaker - and speaker + respectively) ->
high to low converter (I've spliced each channel together to get dual mono sound out from this) ->
your 2.1 system of choice

Get a kit that has regular RCA outputs from the sub woofer should you want to use your cabinet speakers instead of the ones included with the sub woofer. I just went with the speakers I bought and put the original speakers into storage if I'd want to sell my cabinets one day and the buyer wants to restore the speakers back.

Also, when you use systems with Stereo output like CPS2, you can just hook the RCA outputs straight into your 2.1 system for best sound possible.