New to the hobby - first cab is a blasty city, help me get it running? :)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Mannion
Initials: ACE

New to the hobby - first cab is a blasty city, help me get it running? :)

Post by Mannion »

Hey everyone, I am brand new to the forum and the hobby. I picked up this Blast City and a Mistercade.

I have yet to test the cabinet, I was wondering if there is any sensible checklist to run through before I even try to power it up? The cabinet seems clean and unmodified, but I have no real idea if it is going to just work or need repairs to get it going.

I am in the UK and I have found this transformer which looks to be up to the job https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -uk-ja0500

If I use this, what do I do with the ground terminal on the back of the cabinet? The power cable that came with the cabinet is Japanese type B (3 pin) so do I just plug into that transformed and I am good and safe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: New to the hobby - first cab is a blasty city, help me get it running? :)

Post by nem »

Mannion wrote: December 4th, 2021, 11:11 pmThe power cable that came with the cabinet is Japanese type B (3 pin) so do I just plug into that transformed and I am good and safe?

Yep, that's all you need to do.
Mannion

Post by Mannion »

20211226_225525.jpg
So I'm up and running! 8-) playing some Megadrive games because I am using mistercade and don't yet have the ram expansion.

I think the display looks slightly washed out but no convergence problems and to be honest I took a gamble on the cabinet untested and I'm going to just leave it be and enjoy it.

One speaker doesn't work, I'll be diagnosing that tomorrow.

After that it's some cosmetic bits and hopefully find a display card set for it and just play the hell out of it with my partner and daughter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

In case you aren't aware, there are controls to adjust the picture inside the control panel.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Mannion wrote: December 26th, 2021, 11:26 pmOne speaker doesn't work, I'll be diagnosing that tomorrow.
Try reinserting the PSU at the back (the black box). There's four screws near the corners, remove those. Then just pull the box out and push it back in.
Mannion

Post by Mannion »

Thank you, I had a look at removing the speaker boxes but it seems quite tricky with the screen in place so I thought I'd try simple things first.

I did try reseating the psu unit (thank you) but it made no difference. I need to read up but I have nothing on pin 11 of my jamma harness - should I expect both speakers to work (presumably in mono) despite this?

I have ordered a can of contact cleaner and give that sliding connector a clean when I have it.

I also noticed this white 2 pin plug floating around near the IO board, I need to find my multimeter and work out if this is related.
20211226_150043.jpg
Also the black plug, not sure what that's for.

I haven't seen any evidence of modifications or repairs to any wires in the cabinet so I'm reasonably confudent its something simple rather than a junked loom.

As I have a mistercade I could wire the speakers directly to the stereo out but I'd much rather interface everything through the original jamma if I can.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

(it's a Blast City)
Mannion

Post by Mannion »

:lol: yeh
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Keep an eye out for the "001" loom. It's JAMMA and JVS wired so has RCA stereo connections as well.
Mannion

Post by Mannion »

Sorry do you mean check the 001 loom that would be in my cab, or do you mean I should look to buy and add a 001 loom?

I need to find a diagram of all the wiring in a blast (which I now call a blasty, lol), learn more about it and check through everything in my cab

Thanks for the help!
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Mannion

Post by Mannion »

Ah awesome, thank you.