Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Amb47uk
Please Continue...
eBay: adam_gracie
Initials: ADD

Adding a Power Switch to Sega Naomi Console

Post by Amb47uk »

Hi guys,

I've recently converted my NNC to play both Naomi and dreamcast.. And it's great.

However I have one issue I haven't figured a solution to without just unplugging the Naomi entirely from the cab.

I want to be able to turn off/on the Naomi without turning off the cab. 1) to just play dreamcast.. 2) to easily change/reboot when netbooting games

I've seen a similar solution here that adds a power switch to the psu:
viewtopic.php?t=18324

But this won't work for me as when I unplug the Psu, the controls stop registering to the hacked dreamcast pads (I guess the Psu is providing some extra power to the wires? ). My setup splits the control panel to the i/O and dreamcast pads without need for any unplugging.

Do I have any other options adding a power switch direct to the naomi power cables?

I get confused when there's so many cables on this power cable lol.

Thanks in advance
Adam
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Adding a Power Switch to Sega Naomi Console

Post by nem »

I don't understand why the IO would be supplying power for the controls on the Dreamcast side. There's some kind of goof in the wiring.

Anyway, if you need the JVS IO powered, I would solve this by putting a cheap 5V 3A PSU to power the IO separately. Just remember to tie the grounds of both PSUs together. Then switch off the SUN PSU whenever you don't need the Naomi.
Last edited by nem on May 31st, 2021, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Build a short extender harness for the Naomi power and put a switch in that?
Amb47uk
Please Continue...

Post by Amb47uk »

nem wrote: May 31st, 2021, 5:15 pm I don't understand why the IO would be supplying power for the controls on the Dreamcast side. There's some kind of goof in the wiring.

Anyway, if you need the JVS IO powered, I would solve this by putting a cheap 5V 3A PSU to power the IO separately. Just remember to tie the grounds of both PSUs together. Then switch off the SUN PSU whenever you don't need the Naomi.
Thanks nem, that sounds interesting solution, albeit slightly beyond my current knowledge unfortunately. I'm slowly learning lol.

I can only imagine that the 1.5m of cable between my buttons and dreamcast pads is too long for current to travel and register button presses when the Psu /io is off?

And that the i/O somehow provides a nice boost to it.
Amb47uk
Please Continue...

Post by Amb47uk »

yosai wrote: May 31st, 2021, 5:15 pm Build a short extender harness for the Naomi power and put a switch in that?
Thanks, I have the cable for an extender harness, but there's like 10 power wires going to the Naomi. How do I put a switch on that?