Replacement JVS harness for SEGA Naomi

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
eoinzy
eBay: eoinzy_dub24

Replacement JVS harness for SEGA Naomi

Post by eoinzy »

Hi,

does anyone know where I can get a replacement JVS harness for my SEGA Naomi Universal cab? 2 players, 6 button.

I've attached a photo of my existing one so you know what I mean.

The issue is that some button dont work, eg button 5 on both P1 and P2.
I got a new harness off eBay for the buttons but it made no difference, except now the joystick UP goes LEFT and LEFT goes DOWN (eg its turned 90 degrees), but the buttons still don't work, even if i wire, for example, button 5 to button 1, then button 5 will work but button 1 will not work, so I presume its on the other side of the harness, eg the JVS part. It's an old machine so maybe the wires are loose, but there's a lot of them and I'm busy so its nearly worth it to buy a new one, but I can't seem to find one online.

Of course it might actually be my JVS IO board but I think at some stage I had all the buttons working so it does seem like a wiring issue to me.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Replacement JVS harness for SEGA Naomi

Post by nem »

The JVS harness is likely fine.

Buttons 4-6 will be on the 15-pin auxiliary / 'kick harness' connector. Can you show a picture of your control panel harnesses?

As for the rotated joystick controls, do you use a Sanwa JLF? You can just rotate the PCB. Most harnesses are wired up so that the connector on the PCB points upwards, but some repro ones expect the connectors to be pointing right. And if you plug those harnesses in to joysticks that have connectors pointing upwards, you guessed it, you get rotated controls.
eoinzy

Post by eoinzy »

Hi,

Yes I have 2 Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT joysticks. Will try rotating the PCB. Thanks.

I've attached a photo of my control panel wiring. The harness is a new purchase from eBay. I got a P1, P2 and kick harnesses. As I said, when I swap the wires between buttons, the broken ones work, and the working ones break, so its not the buttons. This is why I'm thinking its the JVS harness/loom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Does either of your joystick controls work right? Pop off the clear guide plate and then you can rotate the PCB. You don't have to take the stick off. Standard orientation is that the 5-pin connector is pointing towards you.

Your kick buttons are swapped? So normally it should be:

Code: Select all

1 2 3
4 5 6

Yours is:

Code: Select all

4 5 6
1 2 3 (presumably)

Can you take a picture of the control panel harness connectors (the 12-pin ones), so I can see the which color wire is going to which pin?

What game are you using for testing?
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

I image the kick harness purchased is for the Blast/Astro pinout and not the Naomi one.

From memory, looking at the connector from the front:

Naomi:

1P B4 | 1P B5 | 1P B6 | NC | GND
2P B4 | 2P B5 | 2P B6 | NC | GND

Blast/Astro:

1P B4 | 1P B5 | 1P B6 | GND | 2P B4
2P B5 | 2P B6 | GND | NC | NC

Take a look at your kick harness. If there are two unpopulated pins together on the bottom row then your kick harness has the wrong pinout.

If that's the case you just need to move some of the pins. They're easily removed with a paperclip. There is a video somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's what I originally thought, but you can see it in the pic, it's correctly pinned:

net_city_kick_harness.jpg
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Ah good eyes 8-)

That doesn't look to be the issue then.

How are you testing the inputs? Have you got a Naomi mobo or something where you can enter test mode and do an IO test?

Have you got any 'dupont' connectors or similar that you can use to 'jumper' inputs on the JVS IO? If the inputs work then it will be the wiring at fault, if it doesn't work then it's the IO.

If you do want to test the above, note that:
AndyG wrote:All Sega dedicated JVS I/O require a +5v loop cable, you need to loop pin1 to pin3 (+5v - ext 5v) on the 60pin connector, otherwise no inputs will work.
Pinout:

eoinzy

Post by eoinzy »

FrancoB wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:08 am How are you testing the inputs? Have you got a Naomi mobo or something where you can enter test mode and do an IO test?
I'm loading MAME and playing Street Fighter and testing if i can do all 3 punches and all 3 kicks.

My control panel is wired to the JVS IO board, and then thats connected to my JVS-PAC2, which connects to a Windows 10 PC running GroovyMAME. I've also tested in Notepad as the JVS-PAC2 registers in Windows as a keyboard and converts button presses to keyboard keys so I can see letters appearing in Notepad when I press buttons and move the sticks.

I don't own a NAOMI board unfortunately. The cab (ex Confidential Mission cab) came gutted from the guy who bought it from this guy so I only have the Windows PC to test with.

Maybe the JVS-PAC2 is the issue. I dont know at this stage. Maybe I'll double check what keyboard keys each button is mapped to. All I know is the buttons work, as I can swap the wiring and they register kicks/punches.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I'd put money on it not being the JVS-PAC.

You can test the full loom with a multimeter by unplugging the JVS I/O.

If none of the kicks work, I'd be suspicious of the loom ground wire.
eoinzy

Post by eoinzy »

Well I spent more than I should on a new P1, P2 and kick harness from ebay so it better be wired correctly, Including grounding.

I'll have to get the multimeter and go wire by wire and test it.
eoinzy

Post by eoinzy »

So I rotated the joystick and that fixed one issue. Although now P2 is completely dead. No joystick, no buttons. Nothing registers. P1 is still the same.

RE: grounding. I have the IO board pretty much loose under the CP. There's one screw holding one corner in place, but it's only hand tightened. I might see if I can find some screws that fit and actually properly screw it down.
I'll also dig out my multimeter and test the harness when I get time.