Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Stox58
Please Continue...
eBay: Stox58
Initials: LJA

New Astro City no sound Help please

Post by Stox58 »

Hi all,

The cabinet was working fine but I’ve just installed the replacement LG style speakers, but the sound has now gone !. Tried the old speakers, replaced the PSU and checked the connections, plus different game boards but nothing.
Is there something I’m missing and how did replacement speakers do this, they should be the correct one’s.
Any ideas?

Thanks from Luke
NASguy

Re: New Astro City no sound Help please

Post by NASguy »

Check speaker wiring, check ground wiring, seems like the issues to me if the old speakers stopped working also. Pins/connectors get old, any futzing and a wire could come out just enough to break connection, or maybe a wire broke inside. It's happened to me on my CP where everything stopped working over one ground wire. I wouldn't worry. At the very worst you might be looking at re-wiring just your speakers to make extra sure.
Last edited by NASguy on March 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stox58
Please Continue...

Post by Stox58 »

The only thing I have found are some unprotected soldering on the speaker wires that could have earthed out, could this have taken the amp out on both PSU’s ?
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Stox58 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:01 pm The only thing I have found are some unprotected soldering on the speaker wires that could have earthed out, could this have taken the amp out on both PSU’s ?
I'm no expert, but sounds unlikely, not unless you heard a loud pop or something very bad.

If you have a small portable amp laying around, you could wire it up to test the new speakers. My NAC never had a Sega stereo amp in it, so I added one in with tone controls myself and have it wired to accept RCA

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Did you have the new speakers working at all after your swapped to them?

Do you have the 4-pin connector plugged in next to the control panel connectors? I forget to plug that in every time I put the monitor bezel back on :roll:
Stox58
Please Continue...

Post by Stox58 »

nem wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:26 pm Did you have the new speakers working at all after your swapped to them?

Do you have the 4-pin connector plugged in next to the control panel connectors? I forget to plug that in every time I put the monitor bezel back on :roll:
Yes the 4pin connector is in inside the control panel and no never had any sound with the new speakers
Stox58
Please Continue...

Post by Stox58 »

NASguy wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:03 pm
Stox58 wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:01 pm The only thing I have found are some unprotected soldering on the speaker wires that could have earthed out, could this have taken the amp out on both PSU’s ?
I'm no expert, but sounds unlikely, not unless you heard a loud pop or something very bad.

If you have a small portable amp laying around, you could wire it up to test the new speakers. My NAC never had a Sega stereo amp in it, so I added one in with tone controls myself and have it wired to accept RCA

No bang or pops, just no sound
Stox58
Please Continue...

Post by Stox58 »

NASguy wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:00 pm Check speaker wiring, check ground wiring, seems like the issues to me if the old speakers stopped working also. Pins/connectors get old, any futzing and a wire could come out just enough to break connection, or maybe a wire broke inside. It's happened to me on my CP where everything stopped working over one ground wire. I wouldn't worry. At the very worst you might be looking at re-wiring just your speakers to make extra sure.
Just added a separate earth to the back off the cabinet, but still nothing, might get some earth wire from work and add some more bonding.
Yes might have to re-wire the speakers to make sure
Stox58
Please Continue...

Post by Stox58 »

Thanks all

All sorted now, ended up re-wiring from the PSU / AMP to the Speakers