Cabinet Fans

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Cabinet Fans

Post by geotrig »

yes yes we are all fans of candy's but I'm talking about the blowie things :hinthint:
Just wondering what peoples opinions are , do we need them for home use really ? what is it keeping cool game boards ,chassis ,monitor all of the above?
I'm contemplating changing it in one of my cabs and replacing with a silent variant but also the thoughts of spending 20-50 quid on a change of fan with some wiring changes(current one pulls 100v i think as opposed to most silent ones running on 12/24v ) might be overkill when I could just disconnect it .

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Cabinet Fans

Post by cools »

I installed a (aliexpress special) 240v AC fan in my Pony, replacing a 12v DC one that was powered from the PC. It's disconnected because it's noiser than I'd like, but I would be sorting it if the cab were switched on for longer periods.

This is only because I'm running a PC inside and want the CRT to keep cooler. Any normal PCB i'd not worry about it, there's enough ventilation.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I don’t reckon they’re that important here. Home use is light, average temperature in the U.K. and Ireland is pretty low, and many cabs don’t have them anyway.

I have a PC in my Pony and I still don’t bother. The PC is low powered by a Pico PSU. I was going to fit a fan to the vent like cools did but have never got round to it. Maybe I should though.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

yeah thats my thought process as well ,light home use in a not too hot enviroment,wasnt too worried about the gameboards as cps2 has its own turbine and the rest would barely be getting warm before i rage quit !! but wasn't too sure on how the cooling impacted the montior and chassis but again low enough home usage.
Now im actually wondering if the e2 even has a fan ,fairly sure the aeros have and the driver cabs defo do(another few in there that potentually need to replace )
I could replace it with one of those noctua silent fans think they run at 12-18bd or the likes but not sure its worth it ive seem a few 100v one but again bd where in the 30's so too loud, If i had one of those fancy fluer cams i could check out the ambient temp in there when everything is turned on but that would be overkill and it'd be cheaper to just buy the fan !

think i'll just disconnect the loud ones for now and see how it goes

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Buy this for Killer Instinct PCBs :awe:

Last edited by zak on February 26th, 2021, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I remember cools sourcing mains powered fans. Wouldn’t it be easier to run one from the 5v of the cab PSU?

I think for heavy use, if the game system needs* a fan then the cabinet should have one. The only cab I’ve had which did is the Vewlix, which makes sense. I don’t think my Astro does. Have I not noticed one? :think:

*CPS2 though.. it doesn’t put out enough heat to worry about in my lazy opinion. There are fanless systems that probably needed one more.

NB: ^ completely unqualified rambling.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

haha zak you sure thats enough for it !!

Yeah I think I'm just disconnecting it, Laziness has stopped me disconnection the cps2 fans so far, like you I don't think with our home usage any major heat is building up in there. I'll probably picking up some other fans at some point for another project and may if I have any left over tap the 5v/12v line and connect one up. Don't think any boards I have run hot so no worries there.(EXCEPT GnG For other reasons though)

zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

G Stream 2020 needs liquid Nitrogen.

I've seen that PCB melt many times :-o
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

CRT TVs never had case fans so I don't see why a similarly sized and pretty much identical monitor would need one so long as the cab shell is decently vented
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I don't know about that, the heatsink on a MS8-25 gets finger burning hot.

Irem Madonnas have a 80mm fan at the top expelling hot air. Blast Citys have a 80mm fan for the PSU. Those are the only jamma candy cabs that I have that have active cooling. I want to say Neo Candies have a place for a fan, but atleast mine didn't have any.

Anyway, in home use I don't think fans make much of a difference.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

So many fans i've had that sound(ed) like Jet engines!
Taito Vewlix
Taito X2
Windy 2 PSU
CPS1.5 and 2

I disconnected a really noisy fan in my CPS1.5 board, but I noticed it got quite warm, so I chose to install a silent fan. I decided to order silent fans for my CPS2 boards too, although I've never noticed them getting as hot whilst the jet engines were disconnected.

I also got a silent fan for my Windy 2 PSU - but the bloody thing got delayed in post a couple of weeks so my cab was rebuilt before it arrived :palm:
I really need to pull it out and change as it's so noisy. There's also a fan on the back hatch of the Windy 2 for the neck/chassis, but that is nowhere near as loud.
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I replaced my Blast City fan with a Noctua NF-A8:

You can just about hear it when you listen closely and nothing else in the room is making noise.
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

My New Net City's each came with a noisy 100V AC fan. After investigation, it turned out the metal bracket to which the fan was attached caused some pretty bad resonance whenever it touched the metal base of the cab. Tried different solutions but anything where the fan was in contact with the metal base resulted in that same resonance from the vibrations.

Ended up with a pretty crude solution where I strapped up the fan with zip ties and foam pads to dampen it. Works well, but I doubt the fan is actually needed. European Naomi's cabs don't have a fan as far as I know.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Net Citys didn't come with one either. It might be useful if you run a Lindbergh or Type X inside, but for Naomi, System 2X6, etc, definitely not needed.