Blast City Service door lock stuck

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Matthijs
Please Continue...
Blast City Service door lock stuck

Post by Matthijs »

Hi everyone,

Many years ago I bought a Blast City for which I did not have space so it practically went straight into storage. I've finally got it home now but when I tried to open the service door I couldn't turn the key more than about 10-20 degrees. I've tried pushing and pulling a little while turning but it wouldn't budge.

Anyone have a tip on what to try? I tried reaching through the back panel to see if anything's stuck, but it looked like there was some cardboard covering the back of the door that I didn't want to rip off straight away. It's not the key because it works alright on the CP lock.

On a sidenote, the PSU also seems to make a terrible noise, something akin to a small diesel engine. I assume it's the PSU although I'm not sure? Tips on resolving that would be helpful as well!

Thanks guys!
RandomRetro
Please Continue...
eBay: carnick10
Initials: RNR

Re: Blast City Service door lock stuck

Post by RandomRetro »

1) Are you sure you have the right key? If the whole lock is loose you can think it is unlocking but it is just twisting the whole mech.
2) Sometime you need to push the door in so the metal tang can move without tension, but may take a decent amount of force.
3) You may have to drill it out, worst case.
Matthijs
Please Continue...

Post by Matthijs »

RandomRetro wrote: July 8th, 2020, 3:40 am 1) Are you sure you have the right key? If the whole lock is loose you can think it is unlocking but it is just twisting the whole mech.
2) Sometime you need to push the door in so the metal tang can move without tension, but may take a decent amount of force.
3) You may have to drill it out, worst case.
Thanks for the response. Turns out I was just a dumbass, there's a sticker on the door that says Keyをまわす前にこのねじをはずしてください, which means something along the lines of "Remove screw before turning key". All works now, just need to see if I can quiet down the thing now.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Matthijs wrote: July 7th, 2020, 10:26 pmOn a sidenote, the PSU also seems to make a terrible noise, something akin to a small diesel engine. I assume it's the PSU although I'm not sure? Tips on resolving that would be helpful as well!
It's the fan at the back that's making the noise. It's a standard 80cm fan. You can replace it with silent one if you swap the wiring to it.
RandomRetro
Please Continue...
eBay: carnick10
Initials: RNR

Post by RandomRetro »

Nice. Glad you got it opened up. For the noise I suspect it is the PSU fan (like @nem said) and if you haven’t yet done it, I would take it out and clean the thing thoroughly, recap it, and you can also swap the fan with a new one. With a new fan the thing will be super quiet.