Please Help Me Get My Astro City Working!

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Please Help Me Get My Astro City Working!

Post by nem »

@FrancoB saving the day! :awe:
CAPnCOM
Please Continue...
eBay: Capncom
Initials: MUD

Post by CAPnCOM »

First of all, you guys are all the greatest. The fact that you would all help a total stranger (who probably knows too little about the topic to even be welcome here) is beyond words. I don’t know, it is just really refreshing. Thank you all so much!
nem wrote: May 16th, 2020, 10:53 am You're confused, sorry.

For button 4, you have to have this pin populated on both P1 and P2 connectors:

It's pin 9. Upper right is pin 1.
Nem, Yes, I was indeed confused.... sorry!! When you said “Pin 9 on P1 ad P2 connectors” I thought you were talking about the JAMMA! That’s how little I know!! Because I looked at my JAMMA and pin 9 on the P1 and P2 side were both empty.... I didn’t even think to look up there, where the AMP connector is! What a dolt I am. I apologize to make you have to (because you are so kind) explain to me so many times over and over about everything. Thank you or putting up with me.

OK, so here is what I have realized, after you kindly showed me the “pin 9” that you were referring to (Which by the way by my count would be “Pin 12” or “Pin 3” depending on how you look at it— there really is a lot to learn with this stuff!): I do indeed already have that pin populated. It is a red wire and it goes to the buttons— just not plugged in!! I feel so stupid! It must have been unplugged so that the kick harness could be plugged in instead. (But then why wouldn’t the so-called kick harness also just be for buttons 5 & 6 only? Doesn’t make sense to me but there must be some explanation about that...)

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but I can just disconnect the 110 connector that goes to the kick harness for button 4, and in its place connect the red 110 connector that is currently dangling nearby
—>
image.jpg
since those go to “Pin 9” (For P1 & P2). Correct? If so, then that solves Button 4!!

As for buttons 5 & 6,
nem wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:00 pm @FrancoB saving the day! :awe:
Yes he does!! :awe:

FrancoB, you have indeed saved the day!
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am Apologies for the late reply, busy old week....

There are a few ways to crack this particular nut but this is probably the easiest.

I took the liberty of making some things, figured it's easier to show with pictures.

Thanks for the pictures of your board etc. It looks like the 'kick' connector is JST XH series, luckily I have some of those so I went ahead and make an adapter to fit your CPS2/3 kick harness:

If you plug that into your board and into your kick harness that should get buttons 5 and 6 working.

This is incredible. Thank you so much!
And don’t apologize— I should apologize because I did read what you wrote, that you might have one of those connectors lying around and could make something up, but I just didn’t think anyone would be so kind to a complete stranger to do that... again, beyond words. Truly kind of you.
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am Button 4 is connected via the JAMMA edge. The JAMMA edge inputs go to the 12 pin AMP UP connectors that you can see in nems picture. You need a wire to go from each pin 9 location to your buttons. I made a couple of wires with a female AMP UP terminal on one end and a 2.8mm (0.110") terminal on the end:

I feel bad about this one, though, as it seems I may not need it after all... sorry for my lack of knowledge. If I am right about my button 4 situation above, then I guess I don’t need those wires? I cannot thank you enough for making them, and I am truly sorry if you wasted your time.
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am If you want the things I made just PM me your address and I'll send them out, no charge.
I’ll message you, thank you so much!! And yes, charge. You deserve it!
I cannot thank you enough!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

CAPnCOM wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:19 am First of all, you guys are all the greatest. The fact that you would all help a total stranger (who probably knows too little about the topic to even be welcome here) is beyond words. I don’t know, it is just really refreshing. Thank you all so much!
No worries, most people here are pretty helpful, it's a nice community - stick around :awe: You can get a good idea of someones personality just by what and the way they post. You seem like a decent guy who's keen to know how things work so I'm happy to help out.
CAPnCOM wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:19 am
nem wrote: May 16th, 2020, 10:53 am You're confused, sorry.

For button 4, you have to have this pin populated on both P1 and P2 connectors:

It's pin 9. Upper right is pin 1.
Nem, Yes, I was indeed confused.... sorry!! When you said “Pin 9 on P1 ad P2 connectors” I thought you were talking about the JAMMA! That’s how little I know!! Because I looked at my JAMMA and pin 9 on the P1 and P2 side were both empty.... I didn’t even think to look up there, where the AMP connector is! What a dolt I am. I apologize to make you have to (because you are so kind) explain to me so many times over and over about everything. Thank you or putting up with me.

OK, so here is what I have realized, after you kindly showed me the “pin 9” that you were referring to (Which by the way by my count would be “Pin 12” or “Pin 3” depending on how you look at it— there really is a lot to learn with this stuff!): I do indeed already have that pin populated. It is a red wire and it goes to the buttons— just not plugged in!! I feel so stupid! It must have been unplugged so that the kick harness could be plugged in instead. (But then why wouldn’t the so-called kick harness also just be for buttons 5 & 6 only? Doesn’t make sense to me but there must be some explanation about that...)

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but I can just disconnect the 110 connector the 110 connector that goes to the kick harness for button 4, and in its place connect the red 110 connector that is currently dangling nearby
—>image.jpg
since those go to “Pin 9” (For P1 & P2). Correct? If so, then that solves Button 4!!
Don't worry about being confused, there is a lot of stuff going on and it's hard to get it all figured out from a few messages.

That's great you have that button 4 wiring in place already :thumbupright:
CAPnCOM wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:19 am I can just disconnect the 110 connector that goes to the kick harness for button 4, and in its place connect the red 110 connector that is currently dangling nearby.
Yes, do this. Also, assuming the black ground wire attached to button 4 is the ground wire that is part of the kick harnesses....Then also swap this for the ground wire that is floating about (the one with two black daisy chained wires going into it), this should be part of the ground loop that's connected to the 12pin AMP UP connector.

If you can swap those over you should hopefully have button 4 working. If you could test and confirm that it would be great.
CAPnCOM wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:19 am As for buttons 5 & 6,
nem wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:00 pm @FrancoB saving the day! :awe:
Yes he does!! :awe:

FrancoB, you have indeed saved the day!
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am Apologies for the late reply, busy old week....

There are a few ways to crack this particular nut but this is probably the easiest.

I took the liberty of making some things, figured it's easier to show with pictures.

Thanks for the pictures of your board etc. It looks like the 'kick' connector is JST XH series, luckily I have some of those so I went ahead and make an adapter to fit your CPS2/3 kick harness:

[Image removed to save scrolling]

If you plug that into your board and into your kick harness that should get buttons 5 and 6 working.

This is incredible. Thank you so much!
And don’t apologize— I should apologize because I did read what you wrote, that you might have one of those connectors lying around and could make something up, but I just didn’t think anyone would be so kind to a complete stranger to do that... again, beyond words. Truly kind of you.
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am Button 4 is connected via the JAMMA edge. The JAMMA edge inputs go to the 12 pin AMP UP connectors that you can see in nems picture. You need a wire to go from each pin 9 location to your buttons. I made a couple of wires with a female AMP UP terminal on one end and a 2.8mm (0.110") terminal on the end:

[Image removed to save scrolling]
I feel bad about this one, though, as it seems I may not need it after all... sorry for my lack of knowledge. If I am right about my button 4 situation above, then I guess I don’t need those wires? I cannot thank you enough for making them, and I am truly sorry if you wasted your time.
FrancoB wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:26 am If you want the things I made just PM me your address and I'll send them out, no charge.
I’ll message you, thank you so much!! And yes, charge. You deserve it!
I cannot thank you enough!
I'll shoot you a PM shortly :thumbupright:

No need for you to apologise either. I did everything off my own back. I used to make a lot of stuff for people but I had to stop a couple of years ago. I miss doing it though and like to jump on the odd project here and there where I can. It didn't take long to make any of it, as all my stuff is packed away in boxes it took far longer to find the parts than to do the actual work :lolno:

Sounds like you don't need the 'button 4 wires'. It's no problem though, they literally took about 10 seconds each to make. If anyone else reading this needs them, just shout.

CAPnCOM wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:19 am (But then why wouldn’t the so-called kick harness also just be for buttons 5 & 6 only? Doesn’t make sense to me but there must be some explanation about that...)
This alone could take an hour or so to go through...I'll come back and fill some information in here later.....
CAPnCOM
Please Continue...
eBay: Capncom
Initials: MUD

Post by CAPnCOM »

FrancoB wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm No worries, most people here are pretty helpful, it's a nice community - stick around :awe: You can get a good idea of someones personality just by what and the way they post. You seem like a decent guy who's keen to know how things work so I'm happy to help out.
I certainly plan to stick around— everyone is so nice and helpful and there is so much to learn. When I started this topic I honestly wasn’t sure if I would get any replies, let alone getting help all the way to accomplishing the goal of getting my Astro City working! I am extremely happy with my experience on the forum thus far.
FrancoB wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm Also, assuming the black ground wire attached to button 4 is the ground wire that is part of the kick harnesses....Then also swap this for the ground wire that is floating about (the one with two black daisy chained wires going into it), this should be part of the ground loop that's connected to the 12pin AMP UP connector.

If you can swap those over you should hopefully have button 4 working. If you could test and confirm that it would be great.
Great, I was going to ask about that ground. Yep, it’s all set and working!
FrancoB wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm No need for you to apologise either. I did everything off my own back. I used to make a lot of stuff for people but I had to stop a couple of years ago. I miss doing it though and like to jump on the odd project here and there where I can. It didn't take long to make any of it, as all my stuff is packed away in boxes it took far longer to find the parts than to do the actual work :lolno:

Sounds like you don't need the 'button 4 wires'. It's no problem though, they literally took about 10 seconds each to make. If anyone else reading this needs them, just shout.
Thanks again for doing it! I really appreciate it. Very kind of you! I’ll shoot you a reply to your message in a moment.
FrancoB wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm This alone could take an hour or so to go through...I'll come back and fill some information in here later.....
Yeah, I think that’s probably another thread... :lol: