Questions on Two Separate Blast City PSUs

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Samelak
eBay: Samelak

Questions on Two Separate Blast City PSUs

Post by Samelak »

First question: I finally received a power supply (3 months) from Yanton and it has a big red 220V sticker on it. I don't recall the ad mentioning it being 220V or in the picture. The ad disappeared so I can't verify, but I'm fairly positive I would have noticed. Regardless, I'm upset that I waited this long and out of money if this can't be converted to 110V. Anyone know if this can be converted to 110V?

Second question: Got another power supply off of Yahoo Auctions and all I get is a "clunking" sound but no power. It mates with my Blast, but looks different in the back. Can someone fill me in on what I got here?

nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Questions on Two Separate Blast City PSUs

Post by nem »

The 220V PSUs should have external stepdowns. You won't do any damage if you try to plug a 220V PSU to a 120V outlet. It will either work, or it won't. It should work though.

No idea what that PSU in the pic is. Can you take a shot of the front? The back is where fan is.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

400-5459-91 is a Sega part number, if you can trawl manuals for it....
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

nem wrote: December 8th, 2019, 1:41 pm The 220V PSUs should have external stepdowns. You won't do any damage if you try to plug a 220V PSU to a 120V outlet. It will either work, or it won't. It should work though.

No idea what that PSU in the pic is. Can you take a shot of the front? The back is where fan is.
Are you saying the 220 can act like it has dual voltage capabilities? I need to plug it into a 110 source. I would think I need to get a step-up transformer to use this PSU. I'm mostly worried about "frying" the monitor with the incorrect output from the PSU. Can I check the voltage out put at the edge with the PSU uninstalled?

I'll post a pic of the other PSU later. It looks way different from the one I am used to. Besides having a "stepped" vs flat front face, the cooling fan is a lot bigger.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Samelak wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:31 amAre you saying the 220 can act like it has dual voltage capabilities?
No, I'm saying the complete opposite. A 220V PSU will have an external stepdown. Yours doesn't have it. All of the internals should be 100V. These aren't dual voltage.

Just plug it in.
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

So despite a big red sticker that says 220v on the back side, you are saying internally I am all set to use as is? Can you link in a picture of a 220v PSU for comparison?
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

Here is a picture of the other PSU I have.

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The latter PSU looks like it has Lindbergh connectors at the front. I've never seen one before.

Samelak wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:42 amSo despite a big red sticker that says 220v on the back side, you are saying internally I am all set to use as is?

Yes.

Can you link in a picture of a 220v PSU for comparison?

It looks like yours, but it has a huge transformer next to it.
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

I found a "grungy" data label and sure enough it said input 100v. I'll plug it in and check voltages. It's still going to need a good clean and re-cap plus new cooling fan. Thanks for the help....now if only I can figure out what's the other PSU. Obviously for a Blast, but what application and can it be used for a "normal" Blast?
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

Looking at another post on the forums, its apparently for Limbergh use. Does anyone know if this PSU is limited to that or should it also power JAMMA as well? I would still think my monitor would power on, but I get nothing.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It outputs 5V and 12V, so yes, you could use it for jamma games as well.

It probably needs a wiring harness for the monitor. I would have to see it more closely to say for certain.
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

I recapped the PSU with the 220v sticker on it and plugged it into the cab. Putting out the correct 120v to the monitor and 5v for the PCB. Unfortunately the 5v pot has a broken center leg. Does anyone have a part number for it (maybe thru Mouser)?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

nem wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:28 am The latter PSU looks like it has Lindbergh connectors at the front. I've never seen one before.

Samelak wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:42 amSo despite a big red sticker that says 220v on the back side, you are saying internally I am all set to use as is?

Yes.

Can you link in a picture of a 220v PSU for comparison?

It looks like yours, but it has a huge transformer next to it.
Yeah its a Blast PSU for powering a Lindbergh, genuine Sega part.
Samelak

Post by Samelak »

So can it be used in a regular Blast without modification?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Does it have the same bottom connector as the regular PSU? If it has one, then it's just a matter of if it outputs DC voltage through it.