Domy HV

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
jeston
Please Continue...
Domy HV

Post by jeston »

Hi all,

It’s been a while I took a break from the arcades and I’m about to relapse... :roll:

I don’t have any cab anymore, but I got the opportunity to acquire a Konami Domy HV.

I checked the wiki and over the internet, but could not find any first hand info about this cabinet.

Only it’s has a rotation mechanism, a Nanao 26” monitor (probably an MS8).
Not even sure about he release year of this machine. I remember seeing 1989 somewhere...

The bad part is, I won’t be able to go and check the cab first hand.
I’m not too worried about much that can’t be fixed.
My biggest concern would be : burned mark on the tube!

26” is, to my knowledge, not common and might be very hard to come by in such case.

Knowing that I could get a brand new chewlix for less money and less troubles (around 300euro)

I used to play mainly jamma, but I know the type X2 and a PC would offer possibilities that I haven’t experienced before (I took a break when he TTX2 was out, more or less).

As space is an issue now I could only get 1 cab and I’m not sure I’d want to start an extensive collection of jamma titles all over, maybe only few CPS/neo/cave.

Vewlix seems low maintenance when, again, a CRT is beautiful, but could bring me troubles, especially in this size.

Any advice or experience ?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Domy HV

Post by nem »

I don't know, 26" is somewhat common in the arcade space.

Aero City has a 26" Nanao. Older wooden Sega sitdown cabs also have these, like Daytona USA, Sega Rally and Wing War.

Certain era Midway racing games all have 26" Wells Gardners, like Cruis'n USA and Hydro Thunder. However, these have Philips tubes, so most likely not good for a donor tube, if that's what you're thinking.

As for TV tubes, yes, it's a super rare size in Europe. However, it's common in the US, so if you have a way to ship a TV from there, you're sorted ;)

Anyway, I would be all over a Domy HV. I would take one over a Chewlix any day of the week.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

It sounds to me like your heart is saying Domy HV but your head is saying Chewlix. If you do take the easy route, make sure you hook someone else up with the Domy. It's a very rare and unique cab that a lot of people would love to own.
jeston
Please Continue...

Post by jeston »

Well, Chewlix seems like an easy road for sure. Parts are readily available, so serviceability is top.
Has a flat screen, so yeah... older games will look uglier, even with filters or scanlines generator (NOTHING beats a CRT! :awe: )
Pretty much plug and play.

Domy on the other hand is unknown.
From experience it's not because a cab is rare that it's great.
Take the Capcom Cute as an example. It's cute for sure, gorgeous even, but if you're body is bigger than a 10 year old it doesn't offer good playability.
The cab is shaky, the screen visibility is subpar due to the smoked plexi, not a lot of space in the cab (well, at the same time considering its size...).

So, with the Domy it could be the same. From the few pictures i found, it seems it also has a front smoked plexi and little space for pcb's.
The rotation mechanism and viewing angle makes it great for shmumps, less for fighting games.

I'm currently trying to obtain more pictures from the seller.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Smoked screen covers are my favourite feature.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Buy the Domy, if that doesn't work out for you it shouldn't be too hard to pass it on and get a Chewlix.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Domy hv every single time !

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"