Help w/ installing PC into Atomiswave SD

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Grandline313
Please Continue...
eBay: Albela12

Help w/ installing PC into Atomiswave SD

Post by Grandline313 »

Yo bruddahs. Just getting back into the arcade hobby after a strong decade long hiatus. I apologize in advance for the litany of newb questions that follows. Appreciate any and all insights/advice about how to do this.

So I have this atomiswave SD cab and I Was looking at running one of these products:

https://www.arcade-one.com/

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/neo-geo- ... hcart.html

The first company just sells computers ready to go with groovymame for CRT’s. My plan is to start with that and then if it doesn’t give me accurate enough neo geo game play, I’ll get one of those mvs flashcarts when they are reproduced again.

1. I’ve read about folks using step down transformers for voltage. I live in the USA and run the cab with an mvs in it from a normal wall outlet without any apparent issue. Although the screen does have some flickering issues when giant explosions and stuff happen, like in metal slug when you kill a boss, so not sure what that is about. Should I get 120v to 100v voltage converter? If so, any specific model to recommend?

2. Any advice for how to do the sound? I have no electronics skill but my buddy is an electrical engineer who said he can help me. wiring or soldering is child’s play for him to do. I’m thinking of getting an amp and doing like this guy:

I think he just went from PC auxiliary out to RCA in, on the amp. And then wire the amp to the cab speakers.

3. Way back when I purchased my cab it came in poor cosmetic shape. Can I touch up the white paint on it? Have no idea how to fix the scratches on the side. Also, anyone know where to buy artwork? I want something to put in the top marquee and then also instructions above the joystick control area.

4. How to do the controls? I went ahead and ordered a JPAC, and I believe that will let me connect the joysticks and buttons to the PC with usb or ps/2 port. I think the 5th and 6th button will just need to be wired to the JPAC. Am I on the right track here?
https://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

5. Do I even need the JPAC? Atomiswave cab has vga. Should I run my video from PC video card to AW cab vga in? Or should I send the video through the JPAC also?

6. Is getting a scan line converter a good idea to better mimic authentic game presentation on screen? If so, any idea where to buy one ?
http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rewrite
eBay: quin-leyd
Initials: ATP

Re: Help w/ installing PC into Atomiswave SD

Post by rewrite »

To run the NeoSD, just buy any 1-slot MVS motherboard, and plug it in.

Your screen and audio issues are due to your not having a step-down. AWSD/E3 are famous for this. This is the one I use:

Apparently you can't link to Amazon on this forum? The model is VCT VT-500J.

White appliance epoxy is what you want for painting. Sprays on like paint, has a very similar finish to the original. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /202056394

You don't need the JPAC for video, but you do need it for controls.

Zero reason for the scanline converter. It's a CRT. Give it 240p, and it will produce scanlines.

See this guide for setting up 240p out of your computer:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24216
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

Awesome, thanks! That was super helpful. Excited to get this up and running!
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

I just run a normal PC in mine with an i-pac for the controls, PC connected via the cab - VGA set to run at 640x480, you can pick whatever emulator or front-end you like.

For sound on mine I used an ancient set of 90's 2.1 speakers, I binned off the old speakers and kept the sub, spliced the speaker wiring up to the atomiswave cab speakers using terminal blocks, easy :awe:

This setup is pretty helpful as you can run oddball stuff like Nidhogg via steam no problem 8-)
ImageImageImage
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

matt5cott wrote: July 18th, 2019, 2:04 pm I just run a normal PC in mine with an i-pac for the controls, PC connected via the cab - VGA set to run at 640x480, you can pick whatever emulator or front-end you like.

For sound on mine I used an ancient set of 90's 2.1 speakers, I binned off the old speakers and kept the sub, spliced the speaker wiring up to the atomiswave cab speakers using terminal blocks, easy :awe:

This setup is pretty helpful as you can run oddball stuff like Nidhogg via steam no problem 8-)
That’s awesome! Would be nice to be able to run steam games in there!

Ahhh so basically either the JPAC or IPAC will work for getting controls to PC. :shifty:
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Yep, PC case wise I put in a "COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 352" which if you take the PCB mounting board out fits like a treat 8-)

I'm currently upgrading it from an old intel atom board to a Ryzen 3200G, I'll try and stick some pictures up over the w/e.
ImageImageImage
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

Sounds like a good set up :thumbup: would be curious to see the pics
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

How did you guys sort out the 5th and 6th button to JPAC or IPAC? I already bought a JPAC , so that’s what I’m using.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

A few shots of my setup, it's pretty ghetto as it's my first cab :D I didn't get a shot of the IPAC as it's under the control panel but I cabled the buttons and sticks to the IPAC myself, easy enough job but wires everywhere, not sure on best way to JPAC tbh.

I moved the VGA connector from its stock position in the middle of the cab as it's a PITA and gets in the way of the PC, the PC also runs off completely separate power.

As mentioned before the PC element is helpful, I particularly enjoy the downright stupid MUGEN Mortal Kombat hacks, as pictured in the last 2 shots :lol:

It's also probably overdue a chassis recap as the image is off, which I'll get round to eventually :roll:
ImageImageImage
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

Ohhh siiiick! :thumbup: those translucent ball tops with the AW cp are tasty! Can’t wait to try Mugen and some openbor games man, will have to that MK one.

My monitor picture is off also. When I’m running an mvs one slot the picture is way to small for the screen. Can’t seem to get it big enough to fit the entire screen without severely messing it up. I’m hoping the step down transformer will solve that.

So each button has 2 wires. One of those from each button has to go to the screw terminal on the JPAC For player 1 and player 2 5th and 6th buttons. That much makes sense to me. But I don’t understand how to do the ground? There is 2 ground inputs on the JPAC. I guess that is the other 2nd wire connector on the buttons? I would then take the 2nd connection on buttons p1 5/6, and p2 5/6 , daisy chain them together, and then wire that to both ground screw in terminals on the JPAC? That’s my current best guess of what to do.
TechnoFreek
eBay: technofreek1
Initials: OPM

Post by TechnoFreek »

Buttons 4, 5 and ground are picked up from the Jamma edge connector. Button 6 has its own connector inside the service door. Can't remember the connector letter name.

Will try find out.

Update. Here's a link to a really old post on this topic I wrote years ago

http://tfawsd.blogspot.com/2013/02/ligh ... k.html?m=1
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

Thanks TF. That was helpful. I actually came across some of your blog and YouTube vids while I was researching. Man did you ever do a deep clean/restore on that cab!

Well I am up and running! No button 5 and 6 yet but oh well, joysticks and 1-4 buttons, audio, and video are working!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magus
Please Continue...
eBay: mtech4u

Post by Magus »

You can take separate wire and just attach lead and ground from those buttons and add them to the JPAC's extra buttons. :)

Just unplug those buttons from the harness and add your wires to the JPAC button slots that are outside of the JAMMA edge. Then you can configure the keys in winipac.
Grandline313
Please Continue...

Post by Grandline313 »

Oh ok. Thanks Magus. That sounds like the easiest way to get it done
Magus
Please Continue...
eBay: mtech4u

Post by Magus »

Grandline313 wrote: July 26th, 2019, 10:59 pm Oh ok. Thanks Magus. That sounds like the easiest way to get it done
Glad you got it all sorted :)