Sanwa JLF and modifications

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Furtin72
eBay: aldewalde

Sanwa JLF and modifications

Post by Furtin72 »

So I have the Sanwa JLF with a Kowal actuator and harder spring in my P1 setup and the unmodified in the P2 setup of my Egret II.

Why on gods beautiful planet earth is it still so very hard for me to micrododge bulletpatterns? I have the feeling that I would be better of with a keyboard but I wont because I love arcade sticks.

And still, how do wou guys and girls perform those little tiny micrododges, where your sprite doesnt do half a centimeter on every move - but like 2 millimeters....? :wtf:

Any helpful knowledge is welcome!
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Sanwa JLF and modifications

Post by emphatic »

In what games?
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

This is of course the right question, empathic. Sorry, that I didnt state it but I have a relatively hard time with some Cave STGs. Its like, I can often do tap-tap-tap on the joystick but sometimes the taps are a bit longer and sometimes they are a bit shorter, if you understand what I mean. Its that I know what I want to achieve with my movement but quite cant pull it of as precise as I would like.
I hear and feel the clicking of the microswitches but they could be more responsive...

Maybe its really just me, who needs more practice. But when I see playbacks on youtube how other gamers do super small adjustments, either in Dodonpachi or Mushihimesama, I was wondering if I could improve my technique somehow.

Now I‘ve of course read the JAM. And it helped a lot in DDP to move like down and to the side. Or on the bottom of the screen and such.

But yeah... :shifty:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Sounds like you should work on your technique a bit. What's your grip like? I'm mostly using thumb and index finger to hold the ball top, which helps with making precise movements. Also, keep in mind that the expert players (unlike me) rarely find themselves in these tight spots as they've learnt to analyze the expected path of the bullets and position themselves elsewhere. Trusting the hardware instead of your own skills is counterproductive (IMHO). You never play as attentively as when you know the joystick is worn and "dull" as it demands your full attention - just because you have "the best stick" doesn't make you invincible, so don't drop your guard.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

So I took the day off just to improve my movement/hand-eye-coordination. I rarely spend much time on a single game for so many hours straight and I must say that my movements (in DDP) improved indeed. It helped a lot to reflect about it and analyze the problem. One thing that I wasnt aware off before, is that I maybe was a bit to soft on the stick. (Not what she said...) but yeah, I‘m using more force now. Not throughout the entire session but still. Thanks for your inputs.

Sometimes it helps to talk about ones problems, they say. ;)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Agree. If I get stuck on doing something in practice, figuring out what I'm doing wrong and repeating the correct move is most effective. Good luck with your scores.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Thanks! And I hope that, a year from now, I‘ve cleared DDP on one credit :D
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

For micrododging I usually press diagonally down towards the direction I want to move, that way its easier to get a smaller movement.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Thanks monouchi and I‘m trying the same. It seems that I need way more practice though. I still need to improve on those very short taps. Its defenitely a practice thing I recon, since I can pull them off now - but like 8-9 times out of 10. And that doesnt get me anywhere, since I want consistency...

Btw.: Very nice youtube videos you have there! :D
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Thanks, ;)

Also, I went the other way.
Instead of having a hard spring I went as soft as possible and is using a stock LS-60 stick.
It has a softer spring than the earlier 55-58 (And those are still softer than a JLF.)
It also has a special set of softer microswitches that comes stock.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

I see. Didnt even think about going the other way, since I even find my stock JLF so soft. But What do I know, right - I‘m still experimenting and am glad for all kinds of inputs!!! :P