Chassis service...what is it??

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Soundwave

Chassis service...what is it??

Post by Soundwave »

Hi all,

Probably a completely thick question but I have been looking at G60Hot's listings for his remaining cabs & he mentions they could do with a chassis service?

Now I have no idea what this is :(
Can anyone explain it to me in simple idiot terms & also is it a service people offer?

Thanks

Neil
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Chassis service...what is it??

Post by geotrig »

he is talking about the monitor's chassis pcb .....the junk that makes it work ! alot at this stage would be recapped etc. just note there are a few that grant (GRANTSPAIN) doesnt service I think.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

Thanks buddy, really appreciate that.

So as for servicing is it something that you send away to get fixed or does a happy chappy...such as Grant come & fix on site?

Thanks again :)

Neil
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

No its a send away jobby, it involves disconnecting the pcb from the monitor and in some very rare case's the yoke also(which is the magnetic ring thing around the tubes neck) .loads of videos and guides online and its all easy enough.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Don’t take this as gospel, but Nanao MS8 / MS9 can normally be recapped / repaired. Which is down to the number of them in the wild and the fact you can either get spare parts, salavage parts from broken monitors or failing all that, buy a replacement chassis.

The rarer or even worse, the newer the monitor (Nanao and tosh tri sync) the less likely you are to getting it repaired or fixed if / when it ultimately breaks

Unfortunatly there are some parts that can’t be fixed or replaced by anyone.

There is a lot of info in the forum tech section. If the monitor is working, then removing and posting an MS9 chassis to Grant is one of the easier things to do in this hobby.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Every chassis I've had has been through Grant's hands - his solder is like holy water ;)
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

Thanks so much for all the advice guys, got some reading & videos to watch tonight, glad to know it's not such a horror story but will definitely do my home work before I get to far down the rabbit hole so to speak

Is it a costly process to have done?

Thanks again

Neil
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Cant remember exactly but 50-70 ish + postage ! i could be a bit out with that its been a while.

garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Neil.

Escape-to-88 just purchased one of those cabs and has a chassis service by Grant, drop him a PM.
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

garrz32 wrote: February 18th, 2019, 3:57 pm Neil.

Escape-to-88 just purchased one of those cabs and has a chassis service by Grant, drop him a PM.
Thanks man, been looking at his restoration thread which is what made me start re-thinking this whole getting a Cab thing ;)
Will speak to him later

Thanks for the pricing info too Geotrig, it's a good starting point to work with :)

Neil