Repairs to metal and powder coating. (Vewlix CP)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
geldra

Repairs to metal and powder coating. (Vewlix CP)

Post by geldra »

Received a Vewlix C recently from John’s amazing container haul and I’m in the process of giving it a bit of TLC.

The control panel had signs of wear and a respray which I could scratch off with my finger nail. So I have set about sanding it down to see what the craic is with a potential view to maybe getting that section re-powder coated.

Unfortunately whatever has happened to the panel it has roughed up the metal and left bits of it pock marked. See photos below.

Now, I was wondering whether anyone who has had powder work done could tell me if these imperfections can be fixed prior to powder coating or if the powder coating would hide the imperfections (i’m guessing not).

My other approach is to use something like Milliput to fill the panel and then respray/lacquer.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Re: Repairs to metal and powder coating. (Vewlix CP)

Post by penrhos »

Nope - powdercoating doesn't smooth out imperfections - in fact if you use a gloss finish it can magnify them - you're better off using automotive paint and a filler primer.

I have the same problem - a large chunk of paint scratched off one of my control panel surrounds, I'm going to sand the whole section and respray with matt-black paint.

Do you need a Vewlix panel, I have a 1L7B red "F" spare and another sat in Tokyo ready to ship.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
geldra

Post by geldra »

Cheers, I thought that might be the case.

Is there a specific type of paint that would be extra durable for specific use on metal? Would you lacquer yours?

I’m ok for a panel ta. Have managed to source an original C panel to complete the cab. Thank you though.

Interested to see what you’re going to do re JVS (I have Fastio too. Not too big a deal for me as i’m Probs going to go down the console route for now.
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

I have a Taito JVS PCB I acquired from YAJ about a year ago (when I bought my Chewlix - stupidly thinking the internal wiring would be similar) I can use in one and a Sega Naomi JVS PCB for the other but I'll need to make an adapter for the loom to get that working as the 60-pin is wired up differently (Taito produce a converter PCB for about $30).

BTW if you're planning on using a Naomi some of the games won't work with a Taito JVS as it only has 11 inputs not 12. There are some patches to fix some of the games so they will work with it Capcom Vs SNK being one of them.

I'll probably just sand & respray with matt black car paint and then a couple of clear coats to make it a bit more hard-wearing.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
geldra

Post by geldra »

And done. Just need some matt clear lacquer to finish the job.

Also, where the **** do I get some goddam joystick mounts FFS?! :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g60hot
Please Continue...
eBay: recycle-squad

Post by g60hot »

Looks awesome that, good work chief 👍
geldra

Post by geldra »

Cheers! Big thanks again for bringing the machines in.
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

The Taito plates are like rocking horse sh*t to locate and always seem to be missing on panels sold on YAJ.

That's why the repro 2L14B panels I'm going to make will have the bolts in sanwa/semitsu patterns as the taito square plates will cost the same as the panels do to get fabricated....