Neo SC-19 ... Rust in Piece?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Re: Neo SC-19 ... Rust in Piece?

Post by bloodhokuto »

How long has it been Jesus!

Anyway, for one reason or another while life stuff was going (or not going) on, this project got stalled big time.

However, FINALLY some progress has been made, so let's see it?

Repainted speaker / marquee panel as it was crappy.
Monitor looks great thanks to Grant!

Still some things to do;

- Fix Audio issue (no audio probably my stupid 4 slot).
- Strip Control box assembly and clean.
- De-rust parts of control box, fix fag burns on plastic and repaint where necc.
- Remember how whole cb assembly fits back on with spring latch.
- Fit door.
- Source barrel lock.
- Make new Marquee display frame. (Two pieces of acrylic, but one needs to be painted /printed with the 4 Marquee pattern
- Remove & replace fixed bolts holding on credit display graphic on bezel (need to be very careful with this).
- Apply Art to sides.

Pretty much at the end of all this, after I had put he cab back together i think I finally found the exact screw that is mainly used in this cab and this type of design (called a sems screw), is used in lots of candy cabs - basically a machine scew with a fixed washer and cut clip that acts as a spring tightener. I say I think beacause I have yet to receive it yet. Ill post a link for RS online if it is.

I also sourced the replacements for the other main ones* (to be fair there is only really 4/5 different types and most of those can be replaced with something kind of similar (which is what i have done and I have to decide whether i want to completely dismantle the cab just to fit the 'correct' screws.

*To be honest I couldnt find the right size Torx I wanted in black for the bezel, so am making do with hex socket.

Anyway, now the cab has an actual place in a room and is almost completely reassenbled its prompting me to finish it off - much more than before, although again I have like zero time to do any work during the week and I have to try and find time at the weekends, or get some days off work. Some of the time off has to go into doing stuff thats not just putting bits stright back on the cab.

Anyway, getting there.

see you in 2022 :awe:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

bloodhokuto wrote: January 8th, 2021, 12:06 am i think I finally found the exact screw that is mainly used in this cab and this type of design (called a sems screw), is used in lots of candy cabs - basically a machine scew with a fixed washer and cut clip that acts as a spring tightener.
Ooh, interesting. I haven't found these yet.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Looks great!

I happened on one of these last year and they're neat little cabinets. Glad that rust wasn't deep, fantastic job getting it cleaned up :slowclap:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Excellent work! Looks ace so far. We’ve been locked down for months! What’ve you been doing with all your time? :roll:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Looks great, now get it finished!
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Excellent, that's coming together nicely. :awe: :thumbupright:
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

crunchywasp wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:11 pm Excellent work! Looks ace so far. We’ve been locked down for months! What’ve you been doing with all your time? :roll:
Wish I had been furloughed, I've been working longer hours all through lockdown :( Other stuff has happened too which has made this project take a back seat.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

I suppose I should update this thread, it has been a while since I actually 'finished' the job.

I sanded down and resprayed the control box (I had some issues with rusted in screws that required careful surgery), replaced the marquee, replaced the speakers, replaced all the buttons*, I also replaced the bolts that were on the bezel that had to cut off with a cutting disc. I also replaced the door lock.

I suppose the only things left are;

Re-apply the side art (one side is a little off).
Replace the board that the Powersupply and test buttons sit on, Actually there are some rusty bits here, so needs a good clean up as well.

One extra thing, I may not bother with it, but it relates to the marquee. As I may have mentioned, there was room for a backlit setup on this cab, but for some reason SNK decided not to do it - even though they did it on other cabs at the time, and also on the follow up NEO-19.

Whilst most peeps want not to modify the cab, I disagree in this respect and there is a way to do this, without butchering the metal marquee panel (to cut holes to allow a backlight). In fact there is already a solution - there is a place that sells flat light panels that are just a bit bigger than the mini-marquees, so I can mount them behine each marquee and then run power to either a pcb that goes in the 4-slot which displays the game being played, or just run the light panels to a power souce - I have a spare 12v line from the coin mech coin return solenoid that i disabled that i could use.

I may not bother with this extra thing, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, here is a picture running a game, what best to run in a Neo cab than an ... irem game.

Don't worry I have a Jamma - MVS adapter in place.

*Yes P2 ball top is blue and not red, there is no logic for it to be red as in my view it should match the P2 start button.

EDIT
Bonus pic from the pick-up thread.

arcnl

Post by arcnl »

It looks great, light-up panels will be a great addon i imagine.
What's not so great is seeing a non-mvs game in this cab, it's really triggering my OCD :cry:
AxBattler
Initials: MS

Post by AxBattler »

top, great work, enjoy.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Inspired by Joe's Opus with his recent Pony thread, I thought I'd add a few more pics to mine if that's ok:

emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Beautiful! :awe:
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

bloodhokuto wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 9:06 pm Inspired by Joe's Opus with his recent Pony thread, I thought I'd add a few more pics to mine if that's ok:

Absolutely stunning, well done.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Beautiful.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

looks stunning 8-) game should be last resort instead of that knock off clone :D

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

R-TYPE is also SNK's bestest game.