New Astro City and PCB running hot

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
peg
eBay: dnealey
Initials: PEG

New Astro City and PCB running hot

Post by peg »

I finally got my New Astro City monitor rotated so I could actually use it for shmups and I've noticed that after playing Ketsui for about 30 minutes the heatsink on the Ketsui pcb was extremely hot. It was so hot I could barely touch it. When I had previously played the same PCB on my HAS supergun I never had an issue with the heatsink heating up like that.

I figure it was has something to do with my new astro city's power supply. Voltage to the Ketsui PCB runs around 4.92~4.95 based on my Jamma voltmeter (get similar readings when running with my HAS). I'm wondering if anyone has an idea why it would be running so much hotter in the cab vs the supergun? Looking inside the cab I wonder if the original power supply was replaced with parts of a pc power supply and maybe that is why? Also does turning up the audio volume too high in my cab make the PCB run hotter?

Thanks for any help.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: New Astro City and PCB running hot

Post by nem »

The heatsink is for the audio amplifier. It's not voltage related.

If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance between speaker+ and speaker- on the jamma connector. It should be 8 ohms. Alternatively, try dialing down the volume pot on the cab and turning it up on the PCB.
peg
eBay: dnealey
Initials: PEG

Post by peg »

Thanks for the reply. I will see if I can try measuring the resistance. I have discovered that my original NAC PSU has been gutted and replaced with a PC power supply.

I've also discovered that my Ketsui PCB Player 2 button 1 does not work. There has been some battery leakage damage done to it in the past but it doesn't appear to have effected that particular pin.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

You might want to check the audio wiring in that case.