can I use this step down transformer for my Sega Astro City ?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Cat
Please Continue...

Post by Cat »

Will it cause any problems?

Thank You

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldsource-150 ... 2178471261

If not, please recommend a step down transformer for my Sega Astro City? Please give website link?

Thank You
Nebula
eBay: nebula087
Initials: POL

Re: can I use this step down transformer for my Sega Astro City ?

Post by Nebula »

It should be fine, but it’s 110v in output. Japanese cabinets are ready for 100V as this is the standard voltage there.

For that amount of money I recommend the US-tronic counterpart. They have one specific Japanese ready model to transform 210-230V to 100V . You can fetch it at Amazon.
Cat
Please Continue...

Post by Cat »

sergiopolog wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 11:27 pm It should be fine, but it’s 110v in output. Japanese cabinets are ready for 100V as this is the standard voltage there.

For that amount of money I recommend the US-tronic counterpart. They have one specific Japanese ready model to transform 210-230V to 100V . You can fetch it at Amazon.
Thank you very much for the quick reply

Can you please let me know what WATT to use for the Sega Astro City? 1000 Watt or 1500 Watt or 2000 Watt ?

Thank you once again
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

This will depend on which country you are in for the source voltage, the Astro requires around 300Watts, so depending on what you want to run inside the cab, I would recommend a 500VA power supply, if you want a reliable and accurate 100V output that's perfect for Japanese cabs then I would get one of these https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -eu-ja0500
running them at 120 Volts could damage the PSU, Monitor and possibly your PCB's too so it's worth getting the correct stepdown.
Nebula

Post by Nebula »

Cat wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 11:46 pm
sergiopolog wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 11:27 pm It should be fine, but it’s 110v in output. Japanese cabinets are ready for 100V as this is the standard voltage there.

Thank you very much for the quick reply

Can you please let me know what WATT to use for the Sega Astro City? 1000 Watt or 1500 Watt or 2000 Watt ?

Thank you once again
Welcome! If you are planing to only connect one cabinet (an Astro City) then with a 500w step down transforme is more than enough. As Brettster said, a candy cabinet consumes around 200-300W.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

When buying a transformer you are definitely best buying a 100v output rated over a 110v output. The reason for this is that a transformer works by division. There is a winding of wire on the input side,and a winding of wire on the output side. The amount of loops in those windings reduces the input voltage by a certain factor determined by the windings.

Mains voltage isn't stable. It is rated as 230v +10%/ -6%

To keep the maths a bit simpler we will say the 110v transformer halves the input voltage as it isn't far out:

230v ÷2 = 115v

230v+10% = 253v ÷ 2 = 126v

230-6%= 216v ÷ 2 = 108v

Here you have a potential 100v to 126v meaning you are 26% over your 100v although the mains voltage in Japan will have its own ÷/- variations

Using a transformer rated at 100v out will have a slightly bigger division factor which keeps the voltages that bit lower and closer to the correct operating range
Cat
Please Continue...

Post by Cat »

Thank you for the quick reply Brettster, sergiopolog,

It is much appriciated.

I am a total noob newbie to power voltage etc.

I am also trying to fix up this Sega Astro City that I just bought.

I am in Singapore. The power voltage in Singapore is 240V.

The link provided by Brettster is 230V. So I think I cannot use.

The two games I wish to play on my Sega Astro City cabinet are :
1] CPS2 Street Fighter Alpha III
2] CPS2 Hyper Street Fighter Anniversary Edition.

There is a sticker on the back of my Sega Astro City with the below figures :

power : 100v
watt : 140WATT

What will happen if I use 300WATT to 500WATT on a appliance that is rated 140WATT?

Will the appliance burn out?

Can I use this?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/150W-AC-Voltage ... 2ab4621b81

It is rated as 150WATT and step down from 240V to 100V

Can you please let me know if this step down transformer is ok for me to use?
Nebula

Post by Nebula »

Don’t worry about Watts. When a electric product is marked as 500W it means that it’s ready to connect devices up to that power. But in any case the step-down transformer provides more “power” to the cab because it is labeled as 500w.

Problems comes when you connect devices or appliances that the sum of all their power rated exceeds that 500W. In that case probably the step down transformer would behave unpredictably or in the worst case it burns out.
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

The watts on the stepdown are how much it can handle up to, while staying reliable. if your cab is only 140 watts, then you could potentially power 3 cabs from the one stepdown, it wont over power 1 cab it just has a reserve if more is asked from it.

The power here in the UK is 140 where I live, the average is 130 country wide. when I test my step down it outputs around 104 Volts when the cab is switched on. I have 2 Airlink stepdowns, one powers 3 Sega cabs, the powers a Vewlix, all 4 cabs have been fine for over 2 years now
Looking for More Space!