Atari Hall Effect Joysticks

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Atari Hall Effect Joysticks

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Hi,
Long shot here, but anyone have access to Atari Hall Effect sticks as used on Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters?

I have the PCB and have wired in a single Sega Analogue stick, but can only get U/D to register. The L/R pot on the stick works (I swapped the cables in the loom to check) but I can't get it to register in the game.

If I hold the stick up or down, it seems to then register as Left or Right at the same time.

I've had a search around on other forums, but every link they have seems to 404.

Buying an Atari stick is out of the question due to the cost, so wondered if someone has access to measure the voltages of the sticks at centre, L/R/U/D?

Also, anyone tried replacing with a standard stick? I guess I'd need to add some resistors to make some sort of voltage divider for it to work.

Other option I'm thinking (though not sure why it would matter) is if I need to have a separate 5v and GND to each pot? I realise they would be linked back at the PCB, but maybe there is some voltage leakage which is why I get the odd effect in the test page.

Currently scanning the schematics, but I need to get it printed out at the office on A3 so I can read it properly (I spent too much time as a teenager "entertaining" myself I think :awe:)
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.