Initial D Card Reader Issues

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
amplibax
Please Continue...
Initials: AMP

Initial D Card Reader Issues

Post by amplibax »

Anyone have any tips for getting Initial D / Naomi card readers to work more consistently?

Since I got these machines I've had intermittent issues with them. Sometimes I power the machines on and they work great and sometimes they don't.

When they don't work the motor that controls the opening of the front slot just continues to spin as shown in the video below and the games won't boot unless I turn off the card readers in the settings. In test mode the card reader gives an error when you try to initialize them.

I've ordered 2 spare card readers but on one of my cabs I continue to have intermittent issues with this happening.

https://youtu.be/j4qGg95wGZY
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Re: Initial D Card Reader Issues

Post by outrun2 »

Do you ever receive the prompt to insert a cleaning card? I had issues with a reader but after using a cleaning card I had no issues.
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.
amplibax
Please Continue...

Post by amplibax »

I haven't ever been promoted to use the card cleaner but to be honest the machines haven't had a ton of use yet partially due to some of the issues I've had.

Exactly what was the issue or error you had?
amplibax
Please Continue...

Post by amplibax »

These have been working better for me lately. It seems like the issues I have are mostly caused by connection issues. When the machine isn't detecting the card reader motor keeps spinning, what I do it just open it up and press the big molex connector together tight and it stops spinning the motor and detects the card reader.