Xbox 360 in an Astro City?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Xbox 360 in an Astro City?

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:VGA cables are not as turdy for the 360 afaik...but then you need to hunt down a UVC/Emotia for the ultimate experience...at least that was what I thought until I fell down (and still falling) into the PCB collection hole.
I got a third party VGA cable at first and it gave me lots of noise. Bought an original from Microsoft and the picture was perfect. Believe the hype.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

emphatic wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:VGA cables are not as turdy for the 360 afaik...but then you need to hunt down a UVC/Emotia for the ultimate experience...at least that was what I thought until I fell down (and still falling) into the PCB collection hole.
I got a third party VGA cable at first and it gave me lots of noise. Bought an original from Microsoft and the picture was perfect. Believe the hype.
I can tell you the same thing. Chinese Xbox VGA cables vs original is like night and day.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

The ones I got looks almost the same as the Microsoft ones bar the logo and they were as noiseless as the original ones.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mRCaESaR
eBay: mr_caesar81
Initials: JTL

Post by mRCaESaR »

Managed to find Viletim's v2 scart to jamma locally - hopefully it arrives by the end of the week.

It even contains the pass through terminal blocks. I'm assuming I can pass through my ps360's using that terminal block. Not sure if it handles 6 buttons or just 5 though (jamma standard is only 5)

Now I just need to find an original Microsoft Advanced SCART cable and I will have my shmups library on my astro city in 15khz glory! :D :D
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

rugdoctor wrote:but then you need to hunt down a UVC/Emotia for the ultimate experience...
I think you can downscale down to 24khz which would make the graphics sharper.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

mRCaESaR wrote:Managed to find Viletim's v2 scart to jamma locally - hopefully it arrives by the end of the week.
Great!
mRCaESaR wrote:It even contains the pass through terminal blocks. I'm assuming I can pass through my ps360's using that terminal block. Not sure if it handles 6 buttons or just 5 though (jamma standard is only 5)
It sure can, and for two players if you want that. My advice is getting a PCB that outputs to PS2 controllers and get PS2->360 adapters from eBay rather than PS360 PCBs, unless you already own them. Reason being you can get adapters from PS2 to most gaming systems you'd wanna run in your cabinet.
mRCaESaR wrote:15khz glory! :D :D
480i glory. ;) It does look awesome anyway.
nem wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:but then you need to hunt down a UVC/Emotia for the ultimate experience...
I think you can downscale down to 24khz which would make the graphics sharper.
With an UVC you can do 24kHz, but just as an Emotia, it can also do 15kHz.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

emphatic wrote: It sure can, and for two players if you want that.
Awesome! I just couldn't see button 6 on this pic

http://etim.net.au/scart2arcV20_orders/ctrlexp1.jpg

The only way I see a kick harness is if you buy the Controller board 3 with kick harness option.
emphatic wrote: My advice is getting a PCB that outputs to PS2 controllers and get PS2->360 adapters from eBay rather than PS360 PCBs, unless you already own them. Reason being you can get adapters from PS2 to most gaming systems you'd wanna run in your cabinet.
I doubt I'll purchase "Controller board 3: Playstation 1/2 Interface - AU$62" since I already own a couple ps360's (the original ones).

I've also got an MC Cthuhlu so if I want to connect other game systems, I can use this PCB with the RJ-45 pass through.
emphatic wrote: 480i glory. ;) It does look awesome anyway.
All I'm caring for is the CAVE SH-3 games, as long as they look like how they did in the arcades, I'll be very happy.

I'll take the cost of the viletim pcb and my existing 360 with all the cave shmups over the cost of one original Cave PCB :D :D :D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

mRCaESaR wrote:
emphatic wrote: It sure can, and for two players if you want that.
Awesome! I just couldn't see button 6 on this pic

http://etim.net.au/scart2arcV20_orders/ctrlexp1.jpg

The only way I see a kick harness is if you buy the Controller board 3 with kick harness option.
I think it's 4 buttons, but doesn't Astro City still require a separate kick harness connection? For my EGRET II cabinets, there is a dedicated connector for buttons 5 and 6 for both players. This should go directly into your PS360 PCBs instead of through the JAMMA connector, right?
rugdoctor
Please Continue...

Post by rugdoctor »

[/quote]

All I'm caring for is the CAVE SH-3 games, as long as they look like how they did in the arcades, I'll be very happy.

I'll take the cost of the viletim pcb and my existing 360 with all the cave shmups over the cost of one original Cave PCB :D :D :D[/quote]

You will need an emotia or UVC then and a microsoft VGA cable
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

emphatic wrote:I think it's 4 buttons, but doesn't Astro City still require a separate kick harness connection? For my EGRET II cabinets, there is a dedicated connector for buttons 5 and 6 for both players. This should go directly into your PS360 PCBs instead of through the JAMMA connector, right?
I'll figure something out. Normal JAMMA has pins 27 and 28 as GND, but most chinese JAMMA (or JAMMA+) has pin 27 as button 6, so I'll do it that way.

I'll use my Blue Elf Adapter (or something similar https://paradisearcadeshop.com/electric ... &results=2) to get the kick harness to work.
rugdoctor wrote:You will need an emotia or UVC then and a microsoft VGA cable
I'm lead to believe that those devices aren't required when using Viletim's SCART to JAMMA pcb? With that particular PCB, I'm lead to believe all that's required is Microsoft's Advanced SCART Cable? Is this not the case?

Basically the connection is:

Xbox 360 -----> MS Advanced SCART Cable -----> SCART to JAMMA -----> JAMMA edge connector on Astro City with MS8 (in 15khz mode) controls are handled via pad/pcb hacks.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...

Post by rugdoctor »

http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Open up your wallet some more...
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rugdoctor wrote:You will need an emotia or UVC then and a microsoft VGA cable
For 240p rather than 480i, yes. It's a matter of taste however.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

My Viletim set up is:
360 Scart to Viletim
PS1/2 adapter for Viletim
ps3 / X360 to PS1/2 adapter

You have to have a 360 pad plugged in all the time, and then faff around turning it on and off for it to detect the Jamma controls.

It does work, but through this method it's a bit fiddly. And you have to do things in a certain order to spoof the adapter.

When I haven't set it up for a while, it's a nightmare.

Ideally a padhacked 360 controller would be the best fix.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

emphatic wrote: For 240p rather than 480i, yes. It's a matter of taste however.
Yeah that's what I read.. For 240p, I needed the emotia/uvc and a vga chassis which none of my chassis has.
bloodhokuto wrote:My Viletim set up is:
360 Scart to Viletim

Cool. That'll be my setup except for the ps1/2 adapter
bloodhokuto wrote: You have to have a 360 pad plugged in all the time, and then faff around turning it on and off for it to detect the Jamma controls.

It does work, but through this method it's a bit fiddly. And you have to do things in a certain order to spoof the adapter.

I'll have a ps360 so it's a dedicated pcb that authenticates the MS security so there's no need for a pad hack.

Going forward, I'll make the connections on TE AMP UP connectors to make it easy to to switch around if I ever use other consoles (highly unlikely, but I know the option is there)

I just purchased an Advanced Cable from the UK, so it'll take a few weeks to arrive - I hate this part, the waiting game!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bloodhokuto wrote:My Viletim set up is:
360 Scart to Viletim

You have to have a 360 pad plugged in all the time, and then faff around turning it on and off for it to detect the Jamma controls.

Just get proper 360 adapters that doesn't require anything extra: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-to-XBOX360 ... SwEIJanlCm (I have this model and it works flawlessly.)
mRCaESaR wrote:
emphatic wrote:For 240p rather than 480i, yes. It's a matter of taste however.
Yeah that's what I read.. For 240p, I needed the emotia/uvc and a vga chassis which none of my chassis has.
Both the UVC and the right Emotia unit outputs in RGB(S), no need to have a VGA input on your chassis. However, the UVC is no longer easy to find and the Emotia isn't ideal in a cabinet due to it's size footprint. The Advanced Scart/Viletim option has the advantage of native support for other scart equipped consoles without any down scaling.
mRCaESaR wrote:I just purchased an Advanced Cable from the UK, so it'll take a few weeks to arrive - I hate this part, the waiting game!
That is an ordeal for sure.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

emphatic wrote:Just get proper 360 adapters that doesn't require anything extra: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-to-XBOX360 ... SwEIJanlCm (I have this model and it works flawlessly.)
Ta!
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

rugdoctor wrote:http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Open up your wallet some more...
Now you've done it!

I've read that page a few times now and I've also read emphatics UVC post on shmupsforum and what can I say...

I dont even have Viletim's unit yet and I'm already wanting 240p!!

I thought Viletim's pcb was hard to find... There's no way I'll be able to find the uvc by the look of things.

Maybe one day.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...

Post by rugdoctor »

I hoarded a couple just for the pcb apocalypse...way more than i should really. But the result is pretty stunning and I never went back to interlace video since.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

rugdoctor wrote:I hoarded a couple just for the pcb apocalypse...way more than i should really.
Does that mean you have at least one to sell to me? :D :D
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

So I thought I'd give this thread an update as I finally managed to get the 360 into my astro city!!!
mRCaESaR wrote:Managed to find Viletim's v2 scart to jamma locally - hopefully it arrives by the end of the week.

It even contains the pass through terminal blocks. I'm assuming I can pass through my ps360's using that terminal block. Not sure if it handles 6 buttons or just 5 though
After receiving the unit, I decided to make changing boards relatively easy so I created a harness just like the control panel of my astro city

Next I needed to figure out how I was going to house the spare PS360 pcbs and how I was going to wire it all up.

Enter the ever faithful "jiffy box" (which I previously used for my Brook UFB in my HD cab setup)

Test to make sure it fit..

Drilled up all the holes required.. (I decided to use a USB pass through and two buttons for guide/home and back/select - I already had start on the control panel, also decided to use 3 sets cables just like the astro city; one end being a DB connector and the other end a TE Amp Up)

Nice little collection of spaghetti wires! :D

The only real way of making any sense of it all!! Continuity!

The final product as neat as I could get it.. in hindsight, I probably should've used 30 awg wire and just soldered it directly to the terminal block instead of using 22awg wires and going for the "solderless" approach - I already had the solder out when soldering to the DB9/15 connectors.

Three sets of cables - P1, P2 and kick harness for both P1 and P2

Final button mapping is the fight stick standard (I omitted LB and LT as I'll never use them).

X, Y, RB
A, B, RT

I received my original SCART cable from Greece (thought it was the UK, but actually came from Greece) and fortunately I finished my controller box the night before so I was able to give it a quick test run..

It took me a while to realise why the hell I wasn't getting picture, I was getting sound, but just a black screen. After dialing the contrast knob to about halfway, I finally received picture!! :D

Quickly tried a few games..

Some Akai Katana

Stay tuned as I found a UVC!! :D :D :D
Last edited by mRCaESaR on March 21st, 2018, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.