Painting fiberglass cabs

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Painting fiberglass cabs

Post by zumbito »

I was talking yesterday with a guy about painting my astros to leave them in mint condition, and he said the finished cab would look like new, but the problem is fiberglass expands and retracts so the paint most likely will end cracking. Has anybody repainted their cabs? I've seen some online stores selling fully repainted cabs, will the paint end up chipping? Is that the perfect solution for aged cabs?
RMRM

Re: Painting fiberglass cabs

Post by RMRM »

Look for someone that can powdercoat fiber glass. And if you keep it at home, it will last more than yourself :P
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

If it has been given a good preparation and surface keying, then painted correctly there should be no issues painting fibreglass.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

RMRM wrote:Look for someone that can powdercoat fiber glass. And if you keep it at home, it will last more than yourself :P
Doesnt powder coating require an oven? I thought it could only be made to metals.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Yes it does, but if you Google it, you will see it's possible to do it on fiberglass. I've never powder coated fiberglass, but the difference compared to regular paint (done it to my Naomi) is noticeable in terms of resistance And durability.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

RMRM wrote:Yes it does, but if you Google it, you will see it's possible to do it on fiberglass. I've never powder coated fiberglass, but the difference compared to regular paint (done it to my Naomi) is noticeable in terms of resistance And durability.
That seems too hightech. Never heard of anybody doing that, cant seem to find anyone around doing it either, must look amazing though...