Sega Blast City Control Bezel clean

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
bash
eBay: 1289ftg

Sega Blast City Control Bezel clean

Post by bash »

hi guys, been lurking here a while now. Need some help so thread posting time :)

I recently acquired a Blast city control Bezel like this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g9AAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

I intend to restore it to its orignal glory as its quite dirty and a sad shade of grey.

I've read a few restoration threads on here but I'm a little confused about the best way to go about cleaning it. I know it wont be 100% clean as some marks most likely will not come out and there are some deep scratches and chips on it as well. Part of me is tempted to just spray paint it another colour like matt black but the purist in me wants to at least try and get it looking like the original first. I know I can buy new stickers and coin slots so thats not a problem but I also cannot figure out how to remove the glass/plexi for the instructions.

Can someone please advise the best cleaners and sprays and also techniques to get this looking nice and clean please? I live in UK London and have access to local DIY shops etc.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Sega Blast City Control Bezel clean

Post by nem »

bash wrote:I know I can buy new stickers and coin slots so thats not a problem but I also cannot figure out how to remove the glass/plexi for the instructions.
It's just the two chrome pieces at the ends keeping it in place. Just push down on the two tabs on the underside and the whole thing will pop off.

As for cleaning, start with a magic eraser and see where it gets you.
bash

Post by bash »

Thanks, that worked a treat. Easy when you know how :)

I will grab a magic eraser this week and give it a go with hot water. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
bash

Post by bash »

So gave it a good going over with the magic eraser from Wilko. Couldnt find the flash one so had to make do the Dr Power one. I've ordered Novus 123 from eBay and will attack it again soon.

It's looking a lot better but I still have to get rid of some stickiness near the 100 yen sticker. I need to get hold of some lighter fluid from somewhere.

Whats the best way to get my old 100 yen sticker out? It seems wedged in there and I want to replace it with a new one. Unless I have an option to clean it with something?

Also whats the best way to get rid of the orange/yellow gunky loks stuff where the panel is meant sit? Looks like some kind of rust bleed from whatever panel was sitting in the bezel before I got hold of it.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

If you heat the ¥100 sticker gently with a hairdryer then it should lift right off.

The worst of any rust stain on the CP upper under the CP should come off with magic eraser and some elbow grease, then you should be able to remove the remainder with Novus or very fine sandpaper.
bash

Post by bash »

Nice one, I'll give it a try when I get the chance. I did try the old magic eraser on the orange gunk but it wasn't having it. Guess I'll have to work harder!
bash

Post by bash »

Right, went over my bezel yesterday with another round of magic eraser. Only managed to shift a tiny bit of dirt that was left. Then cracked on with Novus 2 twice over. That seemed to smooth out a lot of hairline scratches. Then I went over it with Novus 1 once and it has a much better feel to it although it's not as white as I thought it would be.

I'm worried about buying a new coin slot as the colour difference might be massive. Is there anywhere that sells used white coin slots or metal ones? How much am I looking at? Also new nuts and bolts for the panel and internal hinge?

Also whats the best way to clean the gunk off the back and front of my instructions card?