Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Moomootown
Please Continue...
eBay: Rayforcestorm
Initials: moo

Astro City Bezel fit problem - SOLVED

Post by Moomootown »

Hi all

Recently picked up an Astro - when I got it home, thought it seemed a little weird the top panel / shroud didn’t seem to sit right and wasn’t sitting flush to the cabinet sides - basically there was a gap that just seemed wrong.

I unscrewed (removed) the bezel and tried the top panel again - now it fits perfectly and slides perfectly into place which you can see in the photos.

The bezel on its own seems to have the correct curvature for the monitor front.

The monitor is the original that would have been installed originally - Nanao chassis with toshiba tube.

Doesn’t look to me like anything has been modified.

Very weird - perhaps the monitor is somehow mounted too far forward as soon as the bezel is fitted (doesn’t matter which way around) the top panel doesn’t fit - the bezel is stopping the top panel from going on far enough to slot into place.

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/gallery/nHsmq

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
Last edited by Moomootown on December 30th, 2017, 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Astro City Bezel fit problem

Post by DaveyD »

I can't see anything that looks put together wrong. The bottom steel supports are slotted so you could try undoing the bolts/screws and then push the monitor back in as far as it will go then nip them up again
Moomootown
Please Continue...

Post by Moomootown »

DaveyD wrote:I can't see anything that looks put together wrong. The bottom steel supports are slotted so you could try undoing the bolts/screws and then push the monitor back in as far as it will go then nip them up again
Even though they are slotted, the frame is held in a single position at each corner where it screws into the side panels (2 screws each corner of the frame) - I can’t see how it would move even if I did undo the bottom supports?
dos
Please Continue...
eBay: d0sdem0n

Post by dos »

the bezel screws into three plates under the control panel, try loosening the screws on them and moving them around to get a better fit
Moomootown
Please Continue...

Post by Moomootown »

dos wrote:the bezel screws into three plates under the control panel, try loosening the screws on them and moving them around to get a better fit
It’s not that mate - the bezel (the black square piece) is what’s stopping the entire top panel from fitting correctly - what you’re referring to are the plates that hold the entire top panel and they are definitely correct as when I remove the black bezel and try the panel without the bezel fitted, the top panel fits perfect. Thanks though :)
dos
Please Continue...
eBay: d0sdem0n

Post by dos »

Moomootown wrote:
dos wrote:the bezel screws into three plates under the control panel, try loosening the screws on them and moving them around to get a better fit
It’s not that mate - the bezel (the black square piece) is what’s stopping the entire top panel from fitting correctly - what you’re referring to are the plates that hold the entire top panel and they are definitely correct as when I remove the black bezel and try the panel without the bezel fitted, the top panel fits perfect. Thanks though :)
oh wow, my bad I misunderstood. that's really weird!
Moomootown
Please Continue...

Post by Moomootown »

^^^ yeah I know right! I think it’s either the tube is mounted in a weird position or the bezel isn’t correct.
Can’t see how it’s anything else... and both look correct... mysterious
Moomootown
Please Continue...

Post by Moomootown »

Well after checking literally every piece and screw and finding no reason at all for the top panel to not fit - (even comparing to a friends astro as well) the weird solution was to move the monitor so it’s attached to the back of the frame rather than the front (thus moving the monitor inwards by about half a cm or something) and lo and behold everything fits fine now - ironically I now have too much room at the top of the monitor (gap between bezel and monitor) (bottom is fine) - so tomorrow I’ll grab a couple of washers to push the top out a touch and everything should be pretty much spot-on

:)

Thanks to Brett for the frame swapping idea and pictures of his cab
Brettster

Re: Astro City Bezel fit problem - SOLVED

Post by Brettster »

:awe: No problem Dude
Looking for More Space!