Blast City Monitor Controls Not Working

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

Blast City Monitor Controls Not Working

Post by segasonic91 »

I got a Blast City delivered last Friday and I love it. One problem is that the geometry is terrible and I really need to fix it. The control panel for the monitors does nothing though. The H and V size and position as well as contrast all do not a thing.

I looked inside the cab and it seems to be connected from the board to another plug with the wires going up towards the monitor. Coukd it be a dead board or something as simple as a lose connection? What should I look for?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Mrhide
Initials: MRH

Re: Blast City Monitor Controls Not Working

Post by Mrhide »

congrats on the blast ;)

Corrected below !! :oops: thanks!
Last edited by Mrhide on November 8th, 2017, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's not true. The controls on the remote are unique. On the remote you have controls for contrast, gains for all three colors, brightness, width, horizontal position, height and vertical position and also jumpers for different resolutions. None of those are on the chassis.

I'm surprised none of the controls work. If the remote was completely disconnected the picture on the tube would a mess in 15 khz. The monitor is a Nanao MS-2930, right?

Remove the bezel by pulling on the black tabs inside the control panel. You have three connectors in the monitor frame. The one on the right is for the remote, double check that.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I have a similar issue where only the vert position pot on the remote board doesn't work. The pot itself reads fine and the wire on the remote harness doesn't have any breaks in it either, but turning the pot has no effect.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

Thanks guys! I will check under the bezel when I get a chance.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

I took the bezel off yesterday, but I could not see any connections. There were 3 buttons on the frame of the monitor but they seemed to do nothing. I think I need to get into the back of the cab and check the connections. I just don't have the tools to open it at the momenbt. It is really irritating me. I also want to get the back off to clean it. I can see spider webs inside and want to get rid of them.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The buttons would indicate that you have a MS-2931. The control remote is from the original monitor that has been replaced. No wonder the remote isn't doing anything! :) The 2931 is much nicer, it autosyncs and everything can be adjusted with buttons. Look here for instructions:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Nanao_MS ... se_the_OSD

The original remote is worth maybe 20 bucks, so don't throw it out.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

Thanks nem! Bugger, so that means I need to source an original remote for the ms2931? Or is one of those buttins on the frame the mode button that brings up the OSD? GAH, guess I will have to try thast later.

EDIT: I tried the buttons on the monitor frame and it kind of worked. The first time I pressed the mode button, it cycled through the options each time I pressed the button with no problems.

When I tried it again after loading a game, it was not working properly. It took many presses to get it to change and would just refuse to move sometimes no matter how many times I pressed it. I managed to make one tiny adjustment to H.Size before it fefused to do anything. I am now wondering if the board is dirty or faulty. I will try getting in and giving a clean with some alcohol later to see if it helps. I may wait for a response as well, just to be on the safe side.

When I realised that the control panel was for an MS2930 rather than a 31 I was a bit annoyed because I was told it was a 31. So I suppose I can be happy that it is infact a 31, IF I can get these damn adjustments to work that is!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The remote is just some simple on-off tact switches on a small PCB. There's not a lot that can go wrong with it. Maybe reconnect the wires on both ends and try again.