Christmas is coming early! :D
yiggs
Please Continue...
eBay: tomhoyiggs
Initials: TH

Re: Chewlix C (Chinese Vewlix Capcom)

Post by yiggs »

Tracking has updated.

I think it's been released from customs! No extra charges, just waiting for them to gimme the call for delivery... then i take a sneaky day off work woohooo
yiggs
Please Continue...
eBay: tomhoyiggs
Initials: TH

Post by yiggs »

Machine came around mid October via Shipporter private courier. They are super efficient. Called me to set up a time/date for delivery, and then dropped it off as organized. Machine came in at to just under 1k AUD. I have it set up in my garage now.

I had chosen to forego the wooden crate for shipping, and opted for clingwrap, styrofoam and cardboard box (wood is risky in Australia as I've heard you might get charged out the **** for insect spray). The cab spent roughly a month at sea, and I'm guessing it took quite a beating during transit. The placeholder bracket holding up the control panel was all bent out of shape. Didn't really matter since that part isn't used anyway (nothing a pair of pliers can't bend back into shape either).

Pandoras box 9 is pretty cool. It's got pretty much everything you want there. Just a bit clunky. Might rehouse this in a coffeetable one day.
Control panel bracket bent from shipping. Can't blame them really, i really cheaped out on packaging
Couldn't figure out how to run the pandora's box at 4:3. Switched it over to PC+emulators anyway.
Got the PC up and running with T7. My mates and I are competitive players, so when it comes to hardware, everyone is pretty picky. To our surprise, the screen was good enough to run a tournament setup on. I don't have a leobodnar device so I can't give any proper numbers, but we tested it out thoroughly with several hours of play. I was able to do all of Guile's 1frame links in SF4 too. It's a Samsung panel. Model number is LTY320HN02. Panel is 1080p with HDMI and DVI input. I had some problems with tearing initially, but that was due to some settings with the graphics card. Very good colours (maybe a bit saturated, but it reminds me of the old arcade screens. I like it a lot! Booting up some Metal Slug games running in FBA using 'Basic' blitter looks beautiful.
The current setup. Got a 2080 crammed into a node 202. Thermals are pretty decent considering SFF case. I'll eventually chuck the PC into the machine, maybe get rid of the stock PSU and replace it with something a little... safer? Will probably also replace or rehouse the audio amp so I can control it on the control panel.

Still quite a bit of work to be done on this machine. I'm finding the stock marquee panel quite tacky (it's a Lindbergh one for some reason). I wanna replace it with a vewlix one. Might end up cutting the plexi down to size myself so I can get some marquee art and movelists printed up. Another thing I will change eventually is the LEDs on the marquee. The blue ones are disgusting. I'll have to get some white lights and connect them up to a dial on the control panel someday. I'm currently also waiting for a shipment of Ottodiy JLF mods to get the levers up to spec. Also waiting on some gateron clears for the OBSMX buttons.

Overall, super happy with this cab from Potech. The staff (her name was 'Seven') was super helpful. Turnaround time was faster than I expected, and they were nice enough to give me some discounts (i think).
mRCaESaR
eBay: mr_caesar81
Initials: JTL

Post by mRCaESaR »

Congrats on the purchase man! I love the chewlix.
yiggs wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:52 am Machine came in at to just under 1k AUD.
I can't believe how cheap yours came in at! I'd be tempted to purchase another one at that price and have a dedicated HD Tate cab
tengugurl
Please Continue...
eBay: tengu

Post by tengugurl »

@mRCaESaR

Do you by chance have a jog of that side art?
I have a Vewlix C that I am looking to restore and my side art needs replacing.

It looks amazing btw!

I know I am posting to a very old post but I do hope you'll be able to help a fellow Vewlix C owner
Adabei
eBay: Gringo_84

Post by Adabei »

tengugurl wrote: April 19th, 2020, 3:20 pm @mRCaESaR

It looks amazing btw!

I know I am posting to a very old post but I do hope you'll be able to help a fellow Vewlix C owner
There is a facebook group called "Taito Vewlix/Chewlix Owner's Group". There you will find all sidearts for illustrator!
tengugurl
Please Continue...
eBay: tengu

Post by tengugurl »

@mRCaESaR

It looks amazing btw!

mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

The post above tells you where to get it.

I didn't make it, but when I purchased it, I didn't have the file to begin it. So I'm not actually able to share it.
VIDEOTRONICS
eBay: VIDEOTRONICSUK
Initials: MHP

Post by VIDEOTRONICS »

im thinking of importing some

vewlix c or l better?

mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

They've come a long way now... They have different coloured marquees and panels, they're no longer just the black and grey L colour scheme.

The sides black bits are now chrome.

To answer your question, I've always liked the C colour scheme.
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

Adabei wrote: April 19th, 2020, 3:50 pm There is a facebook group called "Taito Vewlix/Chewlix Owner's Group". There you will find all sidearts for illustrator!
If they accept you...

BTW, the Potech site doesn't reflect the new color schemes and chrome. Or maybe am I not looking the right place?
VIDEOTRONICS
eBay: VIDEOTRONICSUK
Initials: MHP

Post by VIDEOTRONICS »

thank you for the response guys
Jughead
Please Continue...

Post by Jughead »

Anyone have any more information on this new rival to the Brooks Universal Fighting board?

They are the company that sell the Vewlix with the great control panel modifications which I can’t seem to find anyone that sells them.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

Brook has become a global standard of pcbs for the fgc..

I don't think anyone will be dropping their pcbs on a new company that hasn't proven themselves just yet.

Don't get me wrong, competition is good, but I for one, won't be dropping my pcbs :)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

If that Tachyon board is the one I've just found at $38 a pop with Switch compatibility I'm sorely tempted immediately picking a pair up rather than padhacking anything. Just need to find out if they "hold" a mode through a power cycle or detect what they are connected to rather than require a key combo every boot. That's a crazy good price, thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Oh wait, the Brook Zero Pi is way cheaper again.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

Thought I should give provide an update on my Chewlix adventures :)

Not much has changed since December 2018 as per my post viewtopic.php?p=505984#p505984 until recently :D

I made a purchase of a Taito Type X3 (still in transit and won't be with me until November or so) and a number of I/O's (2x Sega Type 3 I/O's and 2x Taito Fast I/O's) with the hope of turning these cabs into a JVS/Fast I/O compatible cab.

With that comes a whole lot of rewiring, so I started with re-wiring the Brook UFB.

I've now rewired my UFB to be "J" harness compatible, so I have the joystick and 6 buttons, plus start going to the 15 way connector and I have another connector that takes care of my auxiliary buttons (L1, L2, TP Key, Home, Select)

With a UFB re-wire, also comes a control panel re-wire. Here are my CP "J" harnesses

Wired up to the buttons and she seems like a perfect fit - the HP button could probably be a little longer, but it's not a show stopper.

Since the Chewlix didn't come with the I/O plate found in the original, I have to improvise, so a 12mm mdf panel will have to suffice :) I've ordered some M3 stand offs to use for the pcb holes.

Next up were some monitor upgrades - after getting in contact with Hadouken Arcade, I purchased the Universal Vewlix Rev B brackets from him to test on my Chewlix. With the purchase of the brackets also came an upgrade of the monitors and there's no other recommended monitor than the LG 32mp58hq so off to Amazon I went

The bracket install was relatively simple with adjusting the monitor taking the longest. I opted to keep the glass on the montior.

Hadouken Arcade wwanted to verify if the bracket would fit the Chewlix's with the cross type bar across the back, so here's the confirmation that it would fit :)

Finally, after installing both of the monitors and powering them on... I have this! Soooo purdy :D :D

One of the things that has annoyed me since day one was the LED bleed on one of the cabs - it became A LOT more prominent when I changed the LED from blue to white, so I decided to paint the top arch blank on the inside to potentially remove the LED bleed, I wasn't too keen on painting it, but the LED bleed really started doing my head in :)

After installation, you can clearly see the difference at the top - no more LED bleed!!

The monitor upgrade allowed me to use a 6x2 matrix and I went from having a whole heap of cables (which included hdmi cables, switchers, audio extractors and splitters), to pretty much none. I had a whole heap of crap inside my cab.

All of this has now been removed from the cab

And I only now need this

Finally, everything I reported in the issue below has now been resolved with a simple monitor upgrade - in hindsight, I probably should've purchased the monitors back in 2018 instead of waiting this long. I spent a lot of money on audio/visual devices which none worked on my setup at the time, when it all could've been fixed by a monitor upgrade.
mRCaESaR wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm I have the weirdest issue that I can't seem to determine the root cause and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Setup:

2x 32 lcd cabs with both 1080p support (one cab being dvi/vga only and the other cab is hdmi/vga)

Sources - ps4 and pc (i7 SFF with a gtx 1050 low profile)

ps4 in slot 1 of and pc in slot 2

The setup is 2 cabs where the source is connected to a hdmi switcher.

The output of the switcher goes to the input of a hdmi splitter.

One output from the splitter goes to a monitor using a hdmi to dvi cable (since it only has dvi).

The other output goes to another monitor, since it has hdmi, it's using a hdmi cable.

The final output I have goes to a hdmi audio extractor so I can connect to an external amp via rca

Issue:

Using the setup above, when I put the ps4 in "automatic" setting for video, it only picks up a 720p signal.

I have to select 1080p (unsupported) to get 1080p.

I know the monitor is 1080p compatible because when I connect directly from a ps4 to the monitor using the same cable, it connects at 1920x1080.

The other issue I have is when switching the source to a pc, the absolute maximum resolution I can get from the pc is 1680x1050

Troubleshooting:

My first thought was the switcher is old and is not compatible, so I bought a new hdmi switcher.

I connected everything the same, and when powering on, the hdmi splitter wouldn't accept any output from the new switcher.

I confirmed this by connecting the output of the new switcher to the monitor - this method works fine (proper 1080p on both the ps4 and pc!)

So I then thought the splitter is too old, so I bought a new splitter too.

Unfortunately, the new splitter exhibited the same issue as the first splitter where it didn't accept the output signal from the switcher.

As a final test, I bought a different brand splitter but unfortunately, I still have the same issue.

So I've gone back to square 1 where I have to "force" 1080p on the ps4 and I can only get maximum of 1680x1050 on the pc.

Would anybody have any other way of trying to identify where the culprit is as I just want to be able to get native 1080p on all sources (main sources being ps4 and pc) displaying on both cabs.
apzr
eBay: neuronpanzer

Post by apzr »

Hey folks! Newcomer here, though not entirely to the home arcade cabinet scene - I've worked with a few candy cabs and built a few MDF cabs from scratch. Just looking for a bit of advice...

So, I'm looking to get a Vewlix or a Chewlix. I have the ability to lay hands on either before the end of the year, but I'm torn between which.

It's absolutely my plan to change whatever I get. I'm going to want to put in a higher-end display, and inside I'll be running a windows PC with a nice front-end for both MAME, Steam and Windows native apps. If possible I'd like to retain original board compatibility, but it won't be my priority - that'll be on the main PC device. I'll want a 2-player panel, too.

Because I'm planning to make big changes, my head inclination is to go for a Chewlix, as spending the extra on an original Vewlix feels less necessary if I'm going to modify it a lot. But my heart is still rather attracted to the idea of an original Vewlix with some unknown, mystical history in a Japanese arcade.

So I figured I'd come here and to the Chewlix thread to ask how you guys have gotten on with your Chewlix machines. How is the build quality? How noticeable is the gap between a Chewlix and a Vewlix? Is one going to be easier to modify (IE for mounting a new display?) than the other? Is there a significant weight difference?

This isn't going to live in an arcade where it'll be used by the public, but it'll have to stand up to a bit of natural play abuse when I have friends over, parties, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice!
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

If you can afford the Original, get the original. The build on the original vs a clone is quite a difference (I don't have a vewlix, but I'm basing my comments off a Naomi Universal and Universal Clone, a Noir and a Noir clone).

With that said, it's all about $$$ at the end of the day right? Here in AU, there really wasn't a way to get an original readily. There was a seller once upon a time that imported a few cabs and it was going to cost 3.5k AUD for the Vewlix L IIRC. For that price, I was able to purhcase 2x chewlix to have a head to head setup. I don't regret it and I love my Chewlix's, but there's nothing like having original cabs :)
Chuckcasey
Please Continue...
eBay: kcstatz
Initials: CRC

Post by Chuckcasey »

apzr wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:51 pm So I figured I'd come here and to the Chewlix thread to ask how you guys have gotten on with your Chewlix machines.
I just picked up 13 Chewlix, all in VERY nice shape. I have BLUE and RED. I've already sold 2 in just 2 days so I suspect they're going to go quick. (maybe I need to raise the price)
I'm in Southern California.
PM me if interested?

I joined this forum because I'm looking for the long sub panel cover. Some of the Chewlix I have had card readers on them and I need to replace the sub panel. any leads?

and these are the panels i'm looking for. I need 10 of them.
Last edited by Chuckcasey on September 17th, 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Earlfish
Please Continue...
eBay: Earlfish23
Initials: ERL

Post by Earlfish »

FcoBenitez wrote: November 1st, 2017, 11:21 am I can send you a pair of 3d printed Sanwa spacers, just pay postage :)
Do you still offer to make spacers