Tackling cigarette burns

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Tackling cigarette burns

Post by zumbito »

Today I gathered some courage (not enough to service the monitor) and decided to clean the cigarette burns. I sanded them but have had different luck, ok in the sides but far from satisfactory between the monitor bezel and the CP, here there are some pics in case someone is in the same boat:

Side before:

After:

Before:

After:

Front part before:

After:

Seems that to finish this I will need to paint it a bit. I know the code is 9002 but any idea about the type of paint? Are cabs clear coated? If so, will it show up if I don't?
Eddhorse
eBay: Eddlowry
Initials: EDL

Re: Tackling cigarette burns

Post by Eddhorse »

What sanding grade did you use?

I had to go fully down to the black underneath on some parts, if you are repainting you might as well.
I got car paint in a spray can in that colour.
Remember its possible that the new colour still wont look the same as the old colour due to the old having sunlight and time ;)
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Eddhorse wrote:What sanding grade did you use?

I had to go fully down to the black underneath on some parts, if you are repainting you might as well.
I got car paint in a spray can in that colour.
Remember its possible that the new colour still wont look the same as the old colour due to the old having sunlight and time ;)
I used a 500 I think.

I want to repaint but just touch ups, so I thought it was better to paint over the cigarette burns that over the black plastic to apply fewer layers and gate a better fade.

Well I just came back from the paint shop. Apparently car paint does not follow the RAL coding, RAL is only for enamels, had no way to find the actual shade, so I had to leave without the paint. Any ideas for a decent car paint match?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Take the CP upper to an auto paint supplier and ask them to match it and stick it in a rattle can.