Checking Blast City PSU with an inside transformer?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Checking Blast City PSU with an inside transformer?

Post by zumbito »

Hi,

My blast city is dead, absolutely no sound, image, buzz, dead... I started dismantling the PSU and checked the PSU fuses, and they are OK, I have continuity. Still my cab makes no signal of being on. I played with the PCB connections and got the light in the PSU to turn on, but haver unplugging everything I lost the red light.

I have been having a look to the schematics in the wiki, but the problem I have is my transformer is inside the cab, but the power cord plugs to the PSU as in a normal blast, which makes me wonder how does it go from the transformer and back to the PSU. According the schematics the PSU only has one AC in and one OUT. Problem is I cant test the PSU outputs, cause if I take the PSU out, it no longer connects with the rest of the cab, so no transformer, and I'm afraid I'll fry it.

Any idea how to tackle this?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Checking Blast City PSU with an inside transformer?

Post by nem »

Honestly I think you're overlooking something. You have double checked all three power switches? The one at the back of the cab, the one in the control panel and the kill switch for the front door? The kill switch needs to be depressed to work. Do a continuity test on it to make sure its working properly.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

nem wrote:Honestly I think you're overlooking something. You have double checked all three power switches? The one at the back of the cab, the one in the control panel and the kill switch for the front door? The kill switch needs to be depressed to work. Do a continuity test on it to make sure its working properly.

Thanks! Yup, three of them are on. I will try the continuity test there, not sure if it is accesible from inside.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It should remove pretty easily. It's held on with a couple of screws IIRC and the leads can be unplugged.
Mrhide
Initials: MRH

Post by Mrhide »

can you post pictures of that "transformer" you're talking about ?! normally it's inside like this:

blast.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That transformer is for the sound amp. It doesn't really have anything to do with the cab powering on.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Mrhide wrote:can you post pictures of that "transformer" you're talking about ?! normally it's inside like this:

blast.JPG
Yes, I mean the step down transformer from 220 to 110, nothing special about it, but if you want I can take some pics. I went through the schematics and started testing continuities and suddenly it turned on. Can't explain why...

BTW after testing voltages, I came to the conclusion that the 220v pass through the PSU straight to the transformer without powering it, it doesn't matter the PSU is for 110v, from the transformer goes to the IO and from there it feeds the PSU. Curious.