SNk Neo 19 Hood

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » May 19th, 2017, 11:10 am

Has anybody ever repaired the hood of a Neo-19? It is badly cracked, and the only thing I can think about is taking it to car shop.
Last edited by zumbito on May 25th, 2017, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

battlesmurf
Posts: 74
Joined: February 18th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Location:

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by battlesmurf » May 23rd, 2017, 6:21 am

Good question. I used door protectors (i.e. the little trim you put on the edge of a car door to protect it from chips in paint) to strengthen it in the meantime on these. Would be curious about other ways.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » May 23rd, 2017, 9:59 am

Well... Update, now it is not cracked, it is shattered, and badly so, the central part is just missing. What a pity, I wonder if it can be redone somehow, and for how much. Maybe a car shop?

User avatar
zak
Posts: 1189
Joined: October 19th, 2014, 1:35 pm
Location: UK
eBay: NA

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zak » May 23rd, 2017, 11:04 am

That is incredibly sad :( I would take it to a car shop before anymore damage is done. There are absolutely no replacements for these.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » May 23rd, 2017, 11:15 am

Problem is the cab still has to go from Japan to Spain, not sure if it will suffer more. Really worried about it and at the same time already excited about bring it back to shine.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » May 25th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I've been asking to some plastic shops by email to hit the ground running when I get back, but nobody knows what to do with it. Everybody is telling me I would need to redo the masters and that would cost more than the machine itself... :oops:

User avatar
Shadolf
Posts: 290
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 12:20 pm
Location: South Germany
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by Shadolf » May 25th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » May 26th, 2017, 10:22 am

Yes, I'll try something like that. As soon I get back home I will take it to the car shop, they will know how to deal with it (I hope).

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » August 4th, 2017, 3:52 am

Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Image

User avatar
GeekMan1222
Posts: 240
Joined: August 16th, 2014, 3:17 am
Location: SC, USA
eBay: geekman2005

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by GeekMan1222 » August 4th, 2017, 5:36 am

oh my :cry: ....
1x New Astro City

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » August 4th, 2017, 6:21 am

GeekMan1222 wrote:oh my :cry: ....
Exactly... My heart went with that hoodie, besides was already broken in a corner which I didn't know.

User avatar
Hellfromabove
Posts: 381
Joined: January 8th, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: SoCal

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by Hellfromabove » August 4th, 2017, 6:46 am

Shadolf wrote:Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.
This. I did something similar to the monitor covering of an Exceleena cab I came across once. It was broken in to three separate pieces. Wish I had pics, but it came out good as new once I was done with it.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » August 4th, 2017, 7:00 am

Hellfromabove wrote:
Shadolf wrote:Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.
This. I did something similar to the monitor covering of an Exceleena cab I came across once. It was broken in to three separate pieces. Wish I had pics, but it came out good as new once I was done with it.
What did you do to it?

User avatar
Shadolf
Posts: 290
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 12:20 pm
Location: South Germany
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by Shadolf » August 5th, 2017, 10:33 pm

zumbito wrote:Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Image
Oh boy :(, the missing junk is really bad. Is it from a plane part? How big is the missing part? Can you put it together with tape, so that we can see the "challenge"? It will not be easy, but I think we can do this!

User avatar
nem
Posts: 1737
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 6:59 pm
Location: Finland

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by nem » August 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Talk to a car shop and ask for someone who works on fiber glass repairs.

zumbito
Posts: 644
Joined: February 18th, 2015, 12:03 am
Location: Metro City
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito » August 6th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Shadolf wrote:
zumbito wrote:Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Image
Oh boy :(, the missing junk is really bad. Is it from a plane part? How big is the missing part? Can you put it together with tape, so that we can see the "challenge"? It will not be easy, but I think we can do this!
Missing part is like 20x20, seems I'll have to do fiberglass.

User avatar
GeekMan1222
Posts: 240
Joined: August 16th, 2014, 3:17 am
Location: SC, USA
eBay: geekman2005

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by GeekMan1222 » August 6th, 2017, 9:21 pm

zumbito wrote:
Shadolf wrote:
zumbito wrote:Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Image
Oh boy :(, the missing junk is really bad. Is it from a plane part? How big is the missing part? Can you put it together with tape, so that we can see the "challenge"? It will not be easy, but I think we can do this!
Missing part is like 20x20, seems I'll have to do fiberglass.
Its better than nothing especially since you cant ever find the hoods, im sure it will turn out great
1x New Astro City

User avatar
zak
Posts: 1189
Joined: October 19th, 2014, 1:35 pm
Location: UK
eBay: NA

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zak » August 6th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Where is the smoke screen cover?

User avatar
Shadolf
Posts: 290
Joined: November 6th, 2014, 12:20 pm
Location: South Germany
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by Shadolf » August 6th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Yes, fiberglas should be no problem. Do you have any experience with fiberglas? I haven't done it myself, but learned alot about construction with composites at my master studies.
I would do it with epoxy resin. You will need some fabric for the inner and outer layer. For the fabric you need to know if it has to be bent in two or just in one direction. Hopefully it's just one, so you can take a stiffer stronger fabric. For the filling of the gap from the lost part I would use epoxy with short (about 50mm long) glasfiber cuttings. You can buy that ready to use.
Then you have to bring all the parts into shape at first. Glue them together (epoxy glue or UHU plus or something). Maybe you need to build some kind of frame to stabilize everything from the inside. To further stabilize the connection between the parts, you could cut small channels into the surface (use Dremel) after gluing everything together. Then put some stainless steel wire into the channels and fill with epoxy. After that, sand the surface and make everything even. The surface should be rough everywhere for better connection. Then put the fabric for the outer layer on the hood and check for any unforseen problems. If everything fits, spread epoxy onto the outside of the hood and onto one side of the fabric. Put the fabric on the hood and be sure to remove all the air inbetween. Now spread epoxy on the outside......

Puh, it's late now and writing on my phone that much is really hard. Let me know if I should discribe the rest tomorrow.

User avatar
copados33
Posts: 472
Joined: March 20th, 2013, 1:30 pm
Location: Uruguay South America
eBay: psycho-q

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by copados33 » August 6th, 2017, 10:54 pm

importing and shipping arcade cabinets :palm: .........

Post Reply