Solved mainly - awsd/e2/e3 control panel housings rattling

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
kernow
:problem: child
Initials: KRN

Solved mainly - awsd/e2/e3 control panel housings rattling

Post by kernow » September 1st, 2008, 11:52 pm

This is really odd, I've not been able to get to the bottom of it but I'm pretty sure its the hinge. If its the hinge I'm doubtful as to wether I could ever get another one or fix it.

Basically. on my vertical AWSD, its only used for 1 player games, the control panel once locked into place, is solid as a rock, it doesn't move one bit, it is firm and doesn't move around when you're playing stuff, although I'd imagine shooter movements aren't going to be as harsh or sudden as when playing a 2 player fighter.

Now on my hori AWSD it does get a bit more 2 player action mainly due to fighting games etc. I have started to notice it on single player fighting now though too. when folded down and locked in it still has a massive amount of play, like 5mm-8mm each side, I'm pretty sure its the hinge, so when you're both playing a fighter its moving round and clunk-clunking all over the place.

I've tried adjusting the locks and the lock-in bars on the CP side, even adjusting how the control panel housing is mounted to the hinge, but nothing has helped, short of swapping the whole control panel housing and hinge over from my vert cab (which would probably solve it) I'm stumped pretty much, I guess I need a new hinge! :geek: :oops:

I don't want to swap the cp housings over either as the vert one is pretty nasty and is on the lesser condition cab already, so I don't want to swap it over to the nicer cab.

Egret2/AWSD (and some e3) owners .. does this happen on yours too? go up to it and grab both sides of the control panel housing while its locked down and try to shift it left and right a bit.

Maybe I can take a photo .. nah, that'd be too sad surely.

thanks for reading my inane waffle once more. :awe:
Last edited by Anonymous on October 8th, 2008, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee

kernow

Re: awsd/e2/e3 outer control panel housings, and rattling

Post by kernow » September 2nd, 2008, 12:07 am

I guess I could actually put some damping material down where it closes so its a more snug fit and doesn't rattle, but blehhh

kernow

Post by kernow » September 2nd, 2008, 5:49 pm

Anyone? I know there is a ton of egret 2 and AWSD owners here, can no-one give their CP a rattle for little old me ? :p

Flazh

Post by Flazh » September 3rd, 2008, 10:30 am

Probably going to be the actual hinge itself that is causing the problem, rather than the plastics. You might want to search around for hinges that fit it more-or-less and then drill new holes in the hinge to fit the AWSD mounts.

kernow

Post by kernow » September 3rd, 2008, 11:00 am

Flazh wrote:Probably going to be the actual hinge itself that is causing the problem, rather than the plastics. You might want to search around for hinges that fit it more-or-less and then drill new holes in the hinge to fit the AWSD mounts.
Thats not a bad idea I guess. I could swap the hinges only from the two cabs. .blech

kernow

Post by kernow » October 8th, 2008, 4:54 pm

So, thanks to penhros I got another hinge (woot), I fit it in place of the current one I have, and it seems tighter, but it still wobbles about 75% as much.

I am lead to thinking you can perform a small adjustment on the hinge side relating to where you screw it in , but to be honest its just getting on my titties, I played around with it for a good 10 minutes and every time it was a little wobbly still. At least I now have a spare hinge to play with and can try adjusting one without worrying about **** it up.

I don't understand how my vert AWSD's CP is absolutely rock solid still though, its bizarre really.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » October 8th, 2008, 5:20 pm

My Windy had up+down movement on the CP until I bent the locking plates down a bit.

Left + right sounds weird, wonky hinge would be my guess too but you've tried that. Have you tried shifting the hinge around when attached to the base, and when attached to the top?

kernow

Post by kernow » October 8th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Yeah, I've tried adjusting it on both sides, CP side and cab side, it still wobbles,. to be honest when I've taken the culprit (or what I thought) hinge off it doesn't seem to have much play in it , compared to the new one , they both seem pretty similar.

I've adjusted the locks on it too and they aren't much different really, its annoying because on 2 player games (especially fighters) the thing is clunk-clunking all over the place. I *guess* its a tighter fit now than it was before but it still moves, its not a left right motion as such, more of a clockwise/anticlockwise rattle (if you were looking at the cab from birds-eye view), the other cab is rock solid! I cannot budge it even if I wanted to.

I could swap the hinge from that but I'd rather not considering how its all setup nicely at present, its just getting on my nerves with the hori cab now, especially as I've bought another hinge for it which I thought would remedy the problem.

its not easy adjusting it by yourself either as you have to hold the CP up when it loosens, perhaps I'll wait for a mate to come over and we can have a better go at it.

hmm, maybe it could still be the locks, the other one does seem to lock in tighter, I'll open them both up in a minute and have a good compare of both.

:| :geek:

kernow

Post by kernow » October 8th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Christ I just fixed it so easily, its now solid as a rock, much like the vert cab

all I did was unscrew the 'hood' (screen surround) a little, and screw it back in a little looser, and now the control panel housing fits down very very snugly, causing it not to budge a single inch.

well that hinge was useful :awe: if I keep going like this I'll have a whole AWSD of spares soon.

Only other slight niggle is that I can press it down a fair bit on the corners and it seems to flex a little as theres a bit of a gap around the front edges, its on the other cab too but not as much, it doesn't flex during play though so sod it.

thanks to anyone that contributed to this lame thread. :awe: