NAC speaker bezel damage and stereo sound

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
megalomaniac
Please Continue...
eBay: drmegalomaniac

NAC speaker bezel damage and stereo sound

Post by megalomaniac »

Hi all,

Couple of New Astro City questions. First off there's a bit of damage to my speaker bezel thingamabob, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix (or replace) it? Pics below:

Next up, my NAC isn't set up for stereo (not at all, no evidence of it ever having been anything but mono) so I've been wondering how best to go about it. I have an MVS 1 slot and four slot and am hoping to add some CPS2/3 things in future so I'd like the setup to be able to handle all of those if possible. nem offered some advice to me over here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 40#p464370 but I'm still not sure I quite get it. I guess part of it is that I keep thinking there must be more to it than that.

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now!"
Twitter | Blog
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: NAC speaker bezel damage and stereo sound

Post by DaveyD »

I broke one of my panels like where yours is broken when I took it off to paint. Knocked it off table on to the floor :-( I melted it back together front and back then added a tiny bit of filler on the front sanded smooth and painted it. You would never know.

Best option for stereo sound in a NAC is using the amp that came standard in some of the cabinets. Just needs 100v. I don't know if the NAC that came supplied without amplifier have exactly the same wiring loom as those that did come with the amp as they have a yellow connector in the wiring loom next to the psu that pulls apart and then plugs into the amp giving stereo sound with no need for modifications
megalomaniac
Please Continue...

Post by megalomaniac »

Thanks Davey. What did you use to do the melting and what sort of filler did you use?

Amp wise, any idea where I could get one of those from? :D
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now!"
Twitter | Blog
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Search for NVS4000 on YAH or similar, make sure the cables are included though :)
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

megalomaniac wrote:Thanks Davey. What did you use to do the melting and what sort of filler did you use?

Amp wise, any idea where I could get one of those from? :D
I used a large tipped soldering Iron to melt it back together, and car body filler
megalomaniac
Please Continue...

Post by megalomaniac »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:Search for NVS4000 on YAH or similar, make sure the cables are included though :)
There are a couple on YAJ, but I wouldn't even know where to begin buying stuff from there. :oops:

http://videotronicsuk.com have a few sound amps, would any of those do the job?
Twitter | Blog
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

If you wanna go the DIY route, go for a simple normal amp like this one:

https://www.cnet.com/products/lepai-lp- ... us/review/

Had one of those in my NAC before I had the NVS4000 up and running.

Rancor did me a favor when I was looking for the NVS4000 cables, I'd shoot him a PM. Otherwise you can always post a thread in wanted, there's plenty of people on the boards who can help you with that.
megalomaniac
Please Continue...

Post by megalomaniac »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:If you wanna go the DIY route, go for a simple normal amp like this one:

https://www.cnet.com/products/lepai-lp- ... us/review/

Had one of those in my NAC before I had the NVS4000 up and running.

Rancor did me a favor when I was looking for the NVS4000 cables, I'd shoot him a PM. Otherwise you can always post a thread in wanted, there's plenty of people on the boards who can help you with that.
I'd rather go the NVS4000 route if I can, I thought they were kinda rare (well spare ones at any rate... :lol: ). What cables do you need?
Twitter | Blog
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

Can the nvs4000 be swapped into a NAC using original wiring or does it need modifying with different plugs?
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

DaveyD wrote:Can the nvs4000 be swapped into a NAC using original wiring or does it need modifying with different plugs?
It uses the original wiring, but you need an additonal set of cables.

This should point you in the right direction:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32608

An additonal nice feat of the NVS4000 is that it can power for example a full Naomi setup :)
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Bet me to it :)

As long as you have the three small looms then it's a straight PSU swap, well you only actually 'need' two of the looms. You could make them easy enough and the pin out is on top of the PSU if you go that route.
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

True, but from the pinout/pictures I couldn't make out completely how to build the one with the loopback in it.

If bad comes to worse, I'd be able to reproduce a set of these looms for you, but it's always better to find a complete PSU set in the first place :)