Voltage Converter / Step Down Transformer advice

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Voltage Converter / Step Down Transformer advice

Post by Paulie »

I'm looking for a little voltage converter advice. I have two or possibly even three of the cheaper USA 110v 300w Maplins ones and two of the proper Japan 100v 250w Airlinks. My predicament is that I've just added a Japanese Lindbergh Universal to the collection and my current voltage converters aren't up to the job so I'm in the market for a new one.

So my current imported cab line up is as follows:
1x Lindy = 440watt
1x NAC = 140watt
2x Sc19-4's = 100watt each

I was thinking that I'll just pick up a beefer Airlink http://www.airlinktransformers.com/japa ... onverters/ Although I've never had a single issue running any of my cabs, control boxes or consoles with any of mine regardless of the voltage converter being 100v or 110v.

Here's my questions
1. Is Airlink still regarded as the voltage converter of choice, or is there a new kid on the block?
2. Over 500va and the Airlinks all look to be the two socket type. Running two cabs off of one unit would be nice or would you still recommend one voltage converter per cab?
3. If I do run two cabs off of one voltage converter the potential max total wattage I would be running is 580w (Lindy 440w & a NAC 140w). Up to now I've always used a voltage converter that's capable of handling around double the wattage that's marked on the cab, ie 100w cab, use 200w voltage converter. Is this overkill? and if so what would be a safe/sensible percentage extra that I should factor into my choice of voltage converter?
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Re: Voltage Converter / Step Down Transformer advice

Post by thomj »

$0.02

Airlink are still they way to go for a prebuilt affair in a case. Or you could go for the Cools approved internal stepdown method which would be cheaper.

Two from one stepdown is no problem.

I doubt you will get anywhere near the advertised peak wattage on any of those cabs and I'm sure you can happily run both off one 500W stepdown no problem. The only thing I'd recommend is to not flip both on at once. Probably CRT cab on first, give it a few seconds then flip on the Lindbergh.
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

:) :thumbup: Cheers buddy.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The power draw on a Lindbergh is from the game board, not the display.
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

Cheers cools, I probably should have said in my first post what I'm planning to use it for.

It'll be a bit of a multipurpose cabinet, Type X2, Naomi and the obligatory 360 :oops: but I'll stick a Lindy in there at some point too.