Sega candy cabinets colours

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Rocco

Sega candy cabinets colours

Post by Rocco »

Here are my 2 Sega New net cities , does they come in different colours like it shows?

White and " light " yellow ...

My new versus city has the same light yellow colour as well , what is making me doubt
skate323k137
Please Continue...
eBay: quizknows

Re: Sega candy cabinets colours

Post by skate323k137 »

It's just aged plastic. I just deal with it but some people try to retrobrite or paint them back to white.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

Yep, as the man above says. It looks like someone may have already painted the left one as it looks possibly 'too' white considering its age?

I have a lot of NNCs and they're all different shades... It bugs the hell out of me and I think I'll try the retrobright route on them :)

If you give it a go please post some pics of the results ;)
Mokum
Please Continue...
eBay: noizer2k3
Initials: MKM

Post by Mokum »

skate323k137 wrote:It's just aged plastic. I just deal with it but some people try to retrobrite or paint them back to white.
^ this.

I wouldn't suggest you to retrobright it. Results are great but stuff get yellowed again (from what I've read).
If you really can't stand it, just gently sand it and paint it white back again.
My NNC has the same colour of yours but I left this yellowish as I would have had to remove the Japanese warning sticker and I couldn't handle such struggle (I like them original) ;)
alienmame wrote:Christ on a bike man
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

Mokum wrote:I wouldn't suggest you to retrobright it. Results are great but stuff get yellowed again (from what I've read).
These cabinets are 16 to 20 years old. Retr0bright will get it back to its original shade, and it's going to take at least 10 years to get that yellow again. Plus if you do all your cabs at once they're all going to yellow at the same rate, so you won't notice it as much. Double glass windows helps a lot too. Just don't expose the cabinets to sunlight (bad for the screens too). I Retr0brighted my supergun sticks a few years back, and I'm still happy with it.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

Retrobrited items turn yellow again quicker than they did originally. And turn yellow even if they aren't exposed to any sun.
It also makes the plastic more brittle so not ideal as those surrounds are already a bit brittle from age already.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thanks guys :D

To be honest , it doesn't disturb me too much ...

Looks even more retro ! :awe:

Anyway , I see that the best thing would be strip those plastics and get them painted like if were a car front bumper ;)
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

If you go the painting route, don't do it yourself and don't sand it, just prime it, thats enought. I did it myself, doesn't look that bad, but at the controlpanel I can see were my left arm is always when I play. Not nice and I used realy expensive paint. I guess just REAL carpaint would do the trick. With my next one I will try retrobright. One can always paint it later, when needed.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's a very light shade of yellow you have there. Mine are **** yellow.

I wouldn't do anything to them. If you do paint them, do not use vinyl dye as has been recommended somewhere.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thanks guys , I appreciate your help

I'm learning day a day :oops:
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

mufunyo wrote:
Mokum wrote:I wouldn't suggest you to retrobright it. Results are great but stuff get yellowed again (from what I've read).
These cabinets are 16 to 20 years old. Retr0bright will get it back to its original shade, and it's going to take at least 10 years to get that yellow again.
I've read different opinions. This is just your experience, it may not apply to everyone, in fact:
Johnnychaos wrote:Retrobrited items turn yellow again quicker than they did originally. And turn yellow even if they aren't exposed to any sun.
It also makes the plastic more brittle so not ideal as those surrounds are already a bit brittle from age already.
This is what I mean.
mufunyo wrote:Plus if you do all your cabs at once they're all going to yellow at the same rate, so you won't notice it as much.
This is a bit of nonsense ;) Yellowed cabs are yellow, not matter what. If he wanna get rid of it, retrobright just ain't the solution for him.

My 0.02 ofc.
longobongo
Please Continue...
eBay: longobongo

Post by longobongo »

I've tried retrobrite on the yellowed bezel but it doesn't make much of a difference. If you really want it to match with the rest of the machine, have it painted. I went overkill with mine and took the whole thing to a car garage to get it painted but it looks factory new.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

longobongo wrote:I've tried retrobrite on the yellowed bezel but it doesn't make much of a difference. If you really want it to match with the rest of the machine, have it painted. I went overkill with mine and took the whole thing to a car garage to get it painted but it looks factory new.

Did they said it first?

To get it painted better ( in theory )
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

This was one I painted. It looked worse in person originally.
I sanded the whole thing to take off the shine and smoothed any rough bits.
I probably used an appliance white. Then rubbing and finishing compound to bring out the shine.
But I did start using a Fiat white when I blended out cig burns on an astro which I found blended better with the original colour.

You can see on this it has a nice finish.

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Johnnychaos wrote:This was one I painted. It looked worse in person originally.
I sanded the whole thing to take off the shine and smoothed any rough bits.
I probably used an appliance white. Then rubbing and finishing compound to bring out the shine.
But I did start using a Fiat white when I blended out cig burns on an astro which I found blended better with the original colour.

You can see on this it has a nice finish.

Wow!

Now is stunning !

What games or systems do you use in the new net ?
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

Rocco wrote: Wow!

Now is stunning !

Sold it over a year back. Nice cabs though. Underrated and pretty cheap.
I've got a couple of net city conversions now and another NNC conversion. Two of them play jamma stuff. The other runs a Naomi2.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Johnnychaos wrote:
Rocco wrote: Wow!

Now is stunning !

Sold it over a year back. Nice cabs though. Underrated and pretty cheap.
I've got a couple of net city conversions now and another NNC conversion. Two of them play jamma stuff. The other runs a Naomi2.

Aré those Toshiba tri synchs good at 15khz up to the famous ms9 from Egret 2 and New Astro ?

How do you connect JAMMA in the new net JVS?
longobongo
Please Continue...
eBay: longobongo

Post by longobongo »

Rocco wrote:
longobongo wrote:I've tried retrobrite on the yellowed bezel but it doesn't make much of a difference. If you really want it to match with the rest of the machine, have it painted. I went overkill with mine and took the whole thing to a car garage to get it painted but it looks factory new.

Did they said it first?

To get it painted better ( in theory )
yep for some parts like the the metal base which had deep scratches, for the bezel and control panel box, a layer of paint was sufficient in removing all the hairline scratches.
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

Call me picky but I couldn't stand losing the Japanese warning sticker...
I mean, a cab tells a story, a refurbished one (unless **** up pretty bad) does not IMHO.
I've also got several Japanese stickers near the area where you get the coins back, pretty much applied by the arcades it operated in, and painting the cab would require to remove them, but this would also remove its story...
I know I sound kind of romantic but just can't help it ;)
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

Rocco wrote: Aré those Toshiba tri synchs good at 15khz up to the famous ms9 from Egret 2 and New Astro ?

How do you connect JAMMA in the new net JVS?
Sorry forgot to reply to this. But this isn't a trisync toshiba. It's dual res. Seems unusual but it's a nice picture. There's Jamma and jvs looms in the machine.