Need some help and advice - Sega Blast City Hyperspin

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
fire10

Need some help and advice - Sega Blast City Hyperspin

Post by fire10 »

Hi guys and girls well im in need of some help and advice please. I currently run a cab with a crt which supports up to 1024 768 resoulution which works great with my setup. I have arcade pc games taito X games which resize and rotate, mame etc including PC games which all work great. Now ive been wanting a Sega Blast City for a long time and im on the verge of buying one but need some help. Will my setup still work on the blasts monitor ok its a Nanao ms2930 Tri sync which supports 15 24 and 31 frequency (dont thoroughly understand this) it is not auto switching. I have seen this guys setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRT0stFwRNw

which essentially does what I want mine to do.

Will this help me to achieve getting my hyperspin pc displaying correctly in the blast and switching between game resolutions ok

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_ ... 12215.html

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. Many thanks Fire10
Dache

Re: Need some help and advice - Sega Blast City Hyperspin

Post by Dache »

So your current setup is mostly suitable, except for the resolution. 1024x768 won't display on the Blast's monitor, it's too high.

Monitor technicals are one of my great weaknesses, but 15k basically = 320x240, and 31k basically = 640x480 (although there is some wiggle room around these, but you want to wait for someone who knows more what they're talking about), and 24k is a resolution somewhere inbetween. Most graphics cards won't output 15k/320x240 by default, but there are workarounds and programs for Windows that'll force it (see the Emulation Q&A subforum on here). Alternatively there are graphics cards built for it like ArcadeVGA.

I believe the MS2930 has a VGA port, so your path of least resistance would be to ensure that your PC only ever outputs 640x480 @ 60hz, make sure the Blast's monitor is set to 31k and just hook it up through that.

The adapter you linked would actually work for you, but I don't think you need it. I'm not sure if the MS2930 supports 15k resolutions through the VGA port (do some searching on the Monitor Q&A forum and you might find out), so if you wanted MAME to display games at their proper resolution, you might need it for that? At the same time, you've said already that the monitor isn't auto-switching, so if you move from game to game a lot, you don't want to be constantly **** with switching frequencies so it'll probably be better for you to leave it connected via the VGA at 31k and upscale MAME/down-res everything else to match.

(EDIT: misread what the adapter did...)
fire10

Post by fire10 »

Thanks mate I really appreciate your reply you have pretty much hit the nail on the head about what I would like to do. Im not worried about seeing the mame games in ther native resolution a long as it looks good through mame using filters etc then that is fine for me. Yes id like it if I could set the blast to 31 and leave it on that. The worry I have is that in my hyperspin setup I have a pc section and a taito X section will these still work. Games in my PC section Like Ultra Streetfighter 4 and In my Taito X section Like KOF Sky stage etc seem quite high resolutions. My current cabinet has an ELO 19inch touchscreen crt and it handles everything without issue, the resolution goes quite high but Ive alway liked the blasts, anymore info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated mate. Where are you based? All the best Ant
Dache

Post by Dache »

fire10 wrote:Thanks mate I really appreciate your reply you have pretty much hit the nail on the head about what I would like to do. Im not worried about seeing the mame games in ther native resolution a long as it looks good through mame using filters etc then that is fine for me. Yes id like it if I could set the blast to 31 and leave it on that. The worry I have is that in my hyperspin setup I have a pc section and a taito X section will these still work. Games in my PC section Like Ultra Streetfighter 4 and In my Taito X section Like KOF Sky stage etc seem quite high resolutions. My current cabinet has an ELO 19inch touchscreen crt and it handles everything without issue, the resolution goes quite high but Ive alway liked the blasts, anymore info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated mate. Where are you based? All the best Ant
I know that the Steam version of USF4 can display at 640x480 as I've run it on my Naomi Uni, so you can just change that in the options. If you have the TTX version emulated, then you're out of luck. Same for any other Taito Type X games running through that emulation wrapper thing - they're designed with being run in LCD cabs so they won't have any options to change the resolution. I reckon the only thing you could do there is try that adapter you linked in your first post so it forces high resolutions back down to 31k.

Based in Leeds, as it says on the right ;) If you're looking for someone to come round to give you pointers though, you want someone who's closer and more comfortable with monitors than me...
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Dache wrote:If you have the TTX version emulated, then you're out of luck. Same for any other Taito Type X games running through that emulation wrapper thing - they're designed with being run in LCD cabs so they won't have any options to change the resolution.

Original Type X2 hardware will run just fine in 640 x 480 resolution. Resolution can be configured by a flick of a dip switch.
Dache

Post by Dache »

nem wrote:
Dache wrote:If you have the TTX version emulated, then you're out of luck. Same for any other Taito Type X games running through that emulation wrapper thing - they're designed with being run in LCD cabs so they won't have any options to change the resolution.

Original Type X2 hardware will run just fine in 640 x 480 resolution. Resolution can be configured by a flick of a dip switch.
Fair enough, I thought they had to be specific ROMs for that, although perhaps I'm thinking of Ringedge and Ringwide.

But I'm pretty sure fire10 is running the TTX games through the emulation wrapper on his normal Windows PC, if I'm reading right. There's no dip switch for those, and in my experience of them (when KOFXIII got leaked way before the console versions came out), they ran at a fixed resolution and I don't remember any way to change that. Even if Windows is limited to 640x480, they might run fullscreen in an HD res anyway, which won't display on the MS-2930.
fire10

Post by fire10 »

That's great information guys thanks very much. You are indeed right I'm running emulated taito x via arcade pc loader. Luckily my versions have a configuration exe that you can set the resolution in so hopefully I can set them to 640 480. Seriously once again guys I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Hopefully more users will see this and have more ideas. I managed with the seller to get the blast to display windows 7 at 640 480 low res mode and now know how to set windows to boot to this everytime which is great. I'm just hoping my pc game fighter installs like guilty gear xrd will display at that res as not able to try that at the moment
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

I used to run a full hyperspin setup on my 2 blasts citiy cabs , horizontal and vertical ( art and wheels rotated 90 degrees , took me a bit but it worked fine )

everything will run in 640x480. set all your old school emulators including mame to 640x480 and add scan lines filters as needed. new stuff like demul , well.. obviously vga is fine. new new stuff like typex/x2 , just go in the dip settings and set it to "low" res, aka 640x480. what I use to do when I setup new typex games was to disconnect the monitor, vnc in, start the emulator, then set the res.

dealing with switchres is a pain ... don't do it.