Fake Wei-Ya PSU

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Fake Wei-Ya PSU

Post by Devil Soundwave »

After getting burned with the Min-Dong PSU a while back (whereby they decided to stop putting in the components for -5V without telling the customers or changing the labelling), I felt it was time to bring some proper PSU in.

Of the brands left making arcade parts, Wei-Ya (Huai I Electronics Co Ltd) in Taiwan are one of the more reliable.

Many of you will know the Wei-Ya WY-03C power supply. Quite a few of you will have them in your cabs, which you may have bought from eBay or wherever.

I got a bunch of these in this week from one of my suppliers in Hong Kong, and was getting ready to list them on my site, but first I decided I needed to get the technical specification for them.

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find this particular model on the Wei-Ya website, but can only find a suspiciously similar P03C. Have the changed the name?

Having emailed Wei-Ya, they confirm that these are, in fact, knockoffs, and are likely to be made by a former component supplier they used to use in mainland China:
JoJo @ Wei-Ya wrote:1. From the photos you sent, it is not made by us (ie. not real Weiya made), please find the attachment with comparison.
2. As we know, it does be some company copied our power supply and sell in China (to be shamed, it is our partner making components for us before)
So. That's nice isn't it. I already knew to steer clear of the extremely unlikely to be real "real Sanwa" components etc. from Chinese sellers, but didn't suspect these as being fake at all. Can't trust anything these days can you? This is not to say they are not good PSU, or necessarily bad quality, just that I have essentially been duped is all!

I shall be sending them back to Hong Kong and ordering some directly from Wei-Ya this time methinks.

It seems the only stuff it's worth getting from China are the generic things like connectors etc.

TL;DR: Wei-Ya do not make WY-03C or WY-03CM PSU, they are fake. The real models are P03C and P03CM.
weiya1 (1).JPG
weiya2.JPG
weiya3.JPG
weiya4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

Re: Fake Wei-Ya PSU

Plot thickens. I failed to notice that Wei-Ya had included a comparison.

It seems the real Wei-Ya ones DO have WY-03C and WY-03CM on the box, but there are still a number of differences. The ones I was sent are definitely fake.

Apologies if I have made anyone worry unduly, hopefully yours are real?

See below images (too big to IMG tag):

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1567/254 ... 6ac1_k.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1569/253 ... 8d4e_k.jpg
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

Well done, sir. :clap:
Up the Irons!
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

Seems the easiest way to tell (i.e. the difference that can't really be hidden) is the AC screenprint on the front of the PSU. On the real ones, they are AC/L and AC/N, on the fakes just AC and AC.
purplec

Post by purplec »

So what's the deal with the Ming dong should they be used?
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

purplec wrote:So what's the deal with the Ming dong should they be used?
Well built, very reliable, but do NOT put out -5V. For games not requiring -5V (75% of them don't), the Min-Dong will do you proud.