NAOMI cabinets, wireless routers, and my sanity

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
skate323k137
Please Continue...
eBay: quizknows

NAOMI cabinets, wireless routers, and my sanity

Post by skate323k137 »

I recently made my own loom to run JAMMA games in my Net City. The cab uses a MS-2933 auto tri-sync.

A couple of days ago I get in bee storm, and I notice some "wiggle" in the video. It starts at the top of the monitor (or what would be the top if it were not tate) and moves to the bottom, then repeats.

I assume because I had to run the 3vpp video up the right hand rail (which is shared with the mains) that this might cause interference. I hit up FrancoB to see how he handled JAMMA video to a .7vpp input (normal VGA / JVS) and he said he used some 220 ohm resistors in his old looms. Not to jump the gun I put a NAOMI in 15khz and hooked it up to the normal dsub input; the wiggle was the same. So, not my cable run, and I started thinking monitor problem.

I have a row of 3 sega cabs, a blast and two net cities. Behind them is a power strip, and next to each cab is it's own external 100v stepdown. The only other things on that power strip are a laptop charger, and the wireless router I use so I can netboot the NAOMIs from a laptop or my phone.

As a last resort I unplug everything but the cab from the power strip; the video is rock solid :lol: It was the wireless router between the 2 net cities causing all my problems as far as I can tell. I plugged everything back in one by one but didn't get the same interference; perhaps the router auto selected a different frequency. Anyway, lesson learned, and I'll probably just put a non-wireless router or switch down there for sanity sake.
Eddhorse
eBay: Eddlowry
Initials: EDL

Re: NAOMI cabinets, wireless routers, and my sanity

Post by Eddhorse »

Maybe check the channel frequency it is on now and put it as a static channel than auto selecting.

Might not be the wireless either on 2.4ghz or 5ghz.
Could be coming from the router over the mains/powerstrip.

Good detective work alk the same.

Ed
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

I have the same on my pfx but it is very random.. a moving pattern diagonally from top to bottom. Thought it was the ground from my psu, but it came back a few days after I unplugged it.
skate323k137
Please Continue...
eBay: quizknows

Post by skate323k137 »

Eddhorse wrote:Maybe check the channel frequency it is on now and put it as a static channel than auto selecting.

Might not be the wireless either on 2.4ghz or 5ghz.
Could be coming from the router over the mains/powerstrip.

Good detective work alk the same.

Ed
That is a good idea. I'll check the wireless channel later and set it to be static just to rule that out if issues come back.

I thought about the router affecting the mains too, it might be the AC Adapter causing the interference in the power strip. I wouldn't be surprised to see that from cheap AC adapters. I may get a power conditioner for the circuit with the cabinets as well for peace of mind. I know all the cabs are very well grounded, I even ground my monitor frames to the earth wire in the cab.
Asure wrote:I have the same on my pfx but it is very random.. a moving pattern diagonally from top to bottom. Thought it was the ground from my psu, but it came back a few days after I unplugged it.
I've had the diagonal pattern happen with superguns and PVM monitors. I ended up fixing that by doing something that sounded like a horrible idea to me, which was connecting the DC ground on my PSU to earth ground. I documented that adventure over here:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... fixed-quot