Astro City coin meter wiring

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
drguild
Please Continue...
Astro City coin meter wiring

Post by drguild »

I've done loads of searching for this without finding the info all threads either show the meter or just talk about it even YouTube vids, no one has actually shown or given a wiring diagram how it's actually wired up, the only schematic is the New Astro City which just shows a connection box for it marked "ELE COIN CHUTE" which isn't on the original Astros.

Does anyone know how to connect the original Astro City coin meter up?, you guys call it the coin counter in all the threads I've read.

Mine is the original Keiso NX-06P039 5V version with the 4 pin amp connector.

My cab when I got it the coin mech and relay were taken out the meter was there unconnected to anything with just the 4 pin amp on the back of the coin box, the mech area was directly connected to the harness edge connector with a extra wire added for 12V with was originallyadded to the 5V lin then cut as both has black tape round both of them as the 5V had the sub.

The meter appears to have a lamp hence the 4 pin amp up bit has a bulge in the housing so that be burnt out, I'll be fixing if I can.

I read through the New Astro City manual, on the scematics page it shows a duel dashed outline of a connection box where the actuator, meter, lamp and harness connect to and that's it meter -Ve is called wire 80 which has no corresponding wire number going to that box as others are numbers 10/32/50 12V/NO/GND respectively, the +Ve is labled wire 10 which the new Astros used 12V mine is a 5V meter.

So the New Astros used a connection box for the meter the old V1's may not have had.

So basically how do wire the 4pin coin meter up with the lamp to the actuator and other stuff?

Edit: after typing this message and thinking, I'll just double check the harness as it may have the connector to the counter I might have labeled, but may have forgotten about, I'll do that tomorrow just in-case and if it does have it does I'll trace and post up the wiring where everything goes to what pins if not then someone here can provide me with the info how to wire it up.
mrjamma
Please Continue...
Re: Astro City coin meter wiring

Post by mrjamma »

Last edited by mrjamma on October 19th, 2020, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drguild
Please Continue...

Post by drguild »

I saw that after my post seems I was looking at the other meter and overlooked that one, felt so dumb overlooking it

I physically checked mine yesterday and it is wired up correctly right to the jamma board etc, as said it's the original counter.

Pin 1 is yellow 5v 2 black Pin8 and the bottom 2 are grounds.

Tried a test of there was any light just 5v to ground but nothing came on light is probably burnt out by the small bulge under the meter.

How would I connect the meter to a PC or PS2?
Both have a coin button but no meter connection.
No info really exists on this on Google unfortunately even searching generically for things like "wriring Arcade counter pin 8 mame" etc

Would I bridge pin 8 meter wirh the 2 coin pins? And is anything special needed doing so to activate the ticker when a coin is inserted or the coin button is pressed?
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

You do not connect the meter to a PC or PS2.

When you have a Jamma PCB connected with meter support, the game board will put a DC voltage pulse on the meter, to increase it by one digit.

A PC or PS2 will never send that pulse. So there's no need to wire it up at all.

Do not bridge to COIN as then your stuff will short out as soon as a coin is inserted.. (GND to power short..)!!

Basically what the COIN METER does:
+5V goes to the meter, but is not connected (switch is off.).
GND goes to the meter, but is connected.
The game 'switches' (closes) the +5V circuit to ON when you insert a coin. (Like a light switch.)
If the meter was a lightbulb, it would now be lighting up. Then it switches the circuit back OFF again quickly.
A DC magnet 'clicks' in and out of place and pulls the digit wheel one location.

If everything is wired up correctly, a jamma board should increase the meter by one click if you insert a coin.
If it does not, the magnet mechanism in the meter is probably fried.

Btw 99.9% of the games do not count a press on the SERVICE COIN on the meter. Only real coins on COIN1 COIN2 jamma trigger the pulse effect.
drguild
Please Continue...

Post by drguild »

Thanks for the message.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to wire it in the future so for mame and other things the coin meter advance, when a coin is put in or a virtual coin is added via the coin 1/2 lines.

I have family in electronics so should be able to work something out later once the cab is built again as I'm still planning and when I do I'll make sure I share it, so everyone can benefit from having the coin meter working in mame etc.

But need the info first on how the line works and your explanation should be something I and family can go on now so thanks.

If there is any useful info available feel free to share and link me as there isn't much on Google.
drguild
Please Continue...

Post by drguild »

Long bump as I am getting around to revisiting this and finally getting the cabinet built.

So I understand how the coin meter connects to the harness and the harness controls the pulse as was posted many years ago.

However is there a way to have it so the actuator controls the pulse also?
So when a coin is put in the actuator controls the counter as well.
That's what I am currently trying to figure out.

The Coin meter is
Black Signal from coil
Yellow 5v
2x white grounds

Actuator is COM NO NC

So trying to make it so when one puts in a coin no matter any system plugged in the meter will count it.
Not looking at digital counts on the meter anymore just all real ones.